failed driving test because..... - milkyjoe
my mates in bits cause he " failed " his driving test because the starting motor siezed during the test, he stalled 3 times during the test , which in my book aint an issue , but on the 4th attempt it was siezed up,, poor bloke gunna have to wait 3 months for a re-test
failed driving test because..... - local yokel
Stalling three times on the test does not sound too good, though does it? Hardly the examiner's fault if the test can not continue.
failed driving test because..... - Robin Reliant
Three stalls would most likely result in a fail under the catagory of moving off under control. Modern cars are very forgiving when it comes to an inexpert clutch foot, which is why examiners aren't.
--
failed driving test because..... - L'escargot
Modern cars are very forgiving when it comes to an inexpert clutch foot .........

I've tried to deliberately stall my Focus by putting it into first with the handbrake on and (without touching the accelerator) progressively engaging the clutch. All that happens is the engine management system compensates. The engine speed drops a bit but that's all. You couldn't get away with doing that on car with a carburettor and distributor. In fact you couldn't get away with it even if you were pressing the accelerator. Anyone learning to drive in a modern fuel-injected electronic-ignition car these days don't know they're born.

--
L\'escargot.
failed driving test because..... - TheOilBurner
Surely he failed because he stalled 3 times! Nothing to do with the starter motor, that just prevented them from carrying on. The result would surely have been the same whether or not they made it back to base?
failed driving test because..... - flunky
tell him to get a diesel, that should sort out his stalling problems
failed driving test because..... - Brian Tryzers
>tell him to get a diesel, that should sort out his stalling problems

An old one, maybe. My CR diesel is easier to stall than the petrol Saab it replaced. That used to cough discreetly ("Perhaps Sir would care to give it a few more revolutions") if there weren't enough revs as I brought the clutch up, which usually gave me time to push the pedal down and try again.
failed driving test because..... - David Horn
That's the reason I love my diesel so much - traffic jams are no problem; just lift up on the clutch and off it goes. Mind you, I spent 6 months learning from scratch in a 1.6 petrol Focus and didn't stall that once, so it's a mental thing too.

My dad's Rover 75 CDTi is extremely petrol like though; when we were test driving them we were regularly stalling them in car parks; in front of the dealers; at traffic lights etc...
failed driving test because..... - Cliff Pope
Don't modern petrol engines have electronically controlled idle now? My 93 Volvo does. It idles at 850 rpm, and if I let the clutch up it gives it more fuel and keeps it idling as the clutch bites. No need to touch the accelerator at all, apart from on a hill start.
failed driving test because..... - mk124
I like by 1.2 (technically 1.1) clio. I regularly set off in stop/start traffic by releasing the handbrake and just letting the clutch rise, without the need to touch the accelerator.
Starting uphill in free flowing traffic it's another matter, but how did the car stall? Was it when your friend tried to set off or due to mechanical failure of the car?

I once drove my car with some kind of electical problem meaning that at idle it would stall regulary - and the starter motor had decided to pack up, making the car difficult to control.
The solution was to approach a junction in a much lower gear than normal so the engine is reving higher. This means you can dip the clutch in 1st and brake with your handbrake whilst pressing the acclearator, if you wanted to stop.If you don't have to stop, the higher engine speed means you have more power to pull away quickly - making the need to stop the a juction more infrequent.
However I would probably have failed a driving test with this techique.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
failed driving test because..... - bell boy
unless it was nerves
maybe time to learn in an auto? with a restricted licence
oh the shame the shame of it
failed driving test because..... - slowdown avenue
please can you tell me what car it is ?
failed driving test because..... - deepwith
Not sure why he would have to wait three months to re-test - thought the old restriction of one month wait for re-test had been lifted? If you go on the booking site you can get a test fairly quickly if you are not fussy about odd times/days