Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - PoloGirl
Summer's nearly here, I have finally learned to ride a bike (yes really, totally flummoxed by the gears up until this weekend when I rode my first 2.5 miles) and we need a bike rack to carry my fairly heavy mountain bike and partner's lighter one.

Would be great if it fitted either on my Golf (no roof rails) or the Passat (roof rails), but I suspect it will spend most time on the Passat. Don't want damaged paintwork on either the cars or the bikes!

So what's the general opinon - up on top or on the back? One that lifts the bike up there for you or one where you have to put it up there yourself?

Seen a Thule Outride 561 - anyone got one?

Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - PhilW
Towbar on either car??
I use a Witter bike rack
www.roofrackwarehouse.co.uk/roof_racks/witter_cycl...l

I also remember a couple of other threads which may be useful to you
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37938&...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37239&...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31407&...f

Even more if you forum search "bike racks"
--
Phil
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - Bromptonaut
I guess if the Passat has roof rails it's an estate. If there are just the two of you will the bikes go in the boot wrapped in dustsheets to protect their paintwork?

Otherwise unless PG's bike is built of girders rather than just lower specced than "Passat Man's" I'd go for roof bars. As I've said before Depends on number and type of bikes you need to carry and how tall you are! As I've said before I use Paddy Hopkirk roof carriers on a Xantia Estate to carry up to four bikes. These carry the bike upright, secured by a clamp on the down tube. The carriers mount to transverse bars (which in turn fit onto the car's integral roof rails).

I'm only about five nine but don't find the lift too difficult, though the Xantia's suspension offers the possibility to "kneel" the car first. Key is to be prepared and have the clamp and wheel straps open and ready to receive the bike. Hold the bike by the seat tube and fork while you lift it up, rehearse away from the car first.

With practice it's quicker than a tailgate rack and I can still get in the boot.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - PoloGirl
Thanks so far, especially for the forum search (somehow I always forget that option..)

Don't think either car has a tow bar but the Passat might. It has a cream leather interior though, and I've been told under no circumstances are the bikes going inside!
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - JohnM{P}
PG - have a look at www.roofbox.co.uk , 'Bike Carriers' link on the left , then the 'Bike Carrier Information Pages' ...
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - mlj
A Pendle strap on will do the job. Two bikes;no problem. Been using mine for four years with no problems. Carried four bikes at a push. Recommended.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - bod1970
I would also recommend a rack that straps onto the boot. I have had one for about five years now and this has been used on many different cars/styles e.g. saloon, estate, hatchback. I have travelled hundreds of miles without a single problem. The rack I have was manufactured by RoadGear - not sure if they are still available, if not I'm sure Thule manufacture something similar. You just need to make sure you have a few old towels/rags to protect the paintwork and a few bungee cords for securing bikes to rack.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - Collos25
Tow bar fitted carrier is the only safe way all others are prone to some type of failure.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - tr7v8
Don't forget to mask the numberplate & rear lights completely!

Seriously, my neighbour does a lot of cycling & found a lot of the hatch type attachments damaged his car. He now uses a thule type roof jobie.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - injection doc
Iv'e used thule roof bar's for 12years now for four bikes & driven down to spain each year no probs, wouldn't recommend tail gate rack as they stress the hinges & lock!
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - Waino
>>wouldn't recommend tail gate rack as they stress the hinges & lock!>>

A friend had used a tailgate rack on a Corsa, and the tops straps had pulled on the top edge creating two small 'air-scoops'. Not to be recommended!

I've used a tailgate rack, albeit an older design, which I wouldn't trust on a long run. For minimum fuss these days, I stick two bikes in the back of my old Mondie estate BUT make sure they are cushioned and separated by old blankets.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - Cliff Pope
I have a collapsible aluminium camping table that turns into a luggage holder when fixed on the roof rack. For camping holidays we just pile all 5 bikes on top of each other and rope them down.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - cheddar
There is a report on bike racks in the latest Which, havent had time to read it yet.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - cheddar
Thule Outride 561 not mentioned though Thule Proride 591 best buy roof fit at £59 along with Mont Blanc Barracuda at same price.

Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - MisterH
Towbar on either car??
I use a Witter bike rack

These are the best way to transport multi bikes. Many trips to Center Parcs with 3 up and not a problem.

Will need to get a light / reg plate board made up but worth the effort.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I had a towbar fitted to a Golf Hatch and a Passat Estate just to mount the Witter bike rack. Used with a lightboard & number plate.
My last tailgate mounted one fell off despite being carefully tightened.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Bike racks - how do you carry yours? - romeo156
I have the Proride 591 system from Thule on my Alfa 156. Never had any problems, although lifting onto the car if you are small could be an issue.

I used to have a hatch mounted system on my Peugeot, but never felt confident that it was on tight enough.