Accord Brakes - Chris75
Past couple of days the brakes on my 04 Accord have started making a horrible metal grinding sound. I understand that this is the pad wear indicators. But If I listen very hard, the sound can be heard constantly.

Would this mean the brakes are 'binding' - not fully releasing? and if so I'm thinking this could be a factor in the poor fuel consuption.

Would just getting the pads (& possibly disks) free this up or will it require further work? (warranty?)

Car has done 35K so will be booking it in for a service anyway.
Accord Brakes - GregSwain
Sounds like you might have a seized calliper piston.

I would think they'd grease the calipers under warranty! If there's not much meat left on the pads, get them changed at the same time - might have seized because they've gone beyond their normal range of movement, so you'd only be fixing it temporarily by greasing them.

Also, you could always argue, if they find that a caliper is stuck, that the seized caliper has prematurely worn your pads out, and they might stick some new ones in under warranty!!!
Mind you, I doubt the pads would have much meat on after 35k if they're still the originals.
Accord Brakes - piston power
sounds like pads&discs to me!! not unusal at that mileage but could have been avoided you might be very lucky and just get away with a set of pads.
Accord Brakes - Dave N
It's only the wear indicator coming in contact with the discs. The discs don't get damaged by it as it's a piece of spring steel designed to make a lot of noise when it rubs the discs. For a day or two you can sometimes hear a slight squeek when applying the brakes which usually goes unnoticed, then they start making a racket.
Accord Brakes - mike hannon
Agree with Dave N. Honda OEM pad wear indicators are supposed to make a noise all the time once they start.
Certainly effective, isn't it?
Agree with Dave N. Honda OEM pad wear indicators are supposed
to make a noise all the time once they start.

That's one word for it!
Accord Brakes - Dave N
Agree with Dave N. Honda OEM pad wear indicators are supposed
to make a noise all the time once they start.

And so simple as well. Makes you wonder why other manufacturers mess about with wires embeded in the pads, and wires/connectors going to a light on the dash. When the light comes on, 50% of the times it's a broken wire or corroded connection.
Accord Brakes - grease monkey
chris,if your pads are worn down to the point where the "squealer" is touching the disc then it will make a squealing noise,if as i suspect your pads are worn to the metal then the noise you are describing is as you say metal grinding & is the brake pad metal backing rubbing on the brake disc. You didnt say if the noise is front or rear but i`ll stick my neck out and say its the rear pads that are gone,i see this virtually on a daily basis with accords & crv`s, they have a tendency to eat rear brake pads in a very short space of time & are difficult to predict whether they will last another 12500 miles till the next service
Accord Brakes - Chris75
Thanks everyone.

Car has been booked in (next Monday)

Just today it has started with the 'sqealing' sound. This is almost constantly but changes to a rougher grinding sound when the brakes are applied.

Think I'll just use the wifes car for the rest of the week.
Accord Brakes - Chuckie888
You need new pads! Be sceptical when the dealer tells you that you need new discs too and that your brakes are binding and that "We've never seen one like it sir"!!! I've just been told that, again, and as it's a safety issue most people say "£450! Steep but necessary!". I checked mine and they seemed servicable, but changed them all myself for £150.