Mazda 323 starting problem - k_clifford
Hope someone can help give me an idea on this one.

I have a 1992 Mazda 323 1.6i. There is a starting problem where I have to crank the engine for quite a few seconds before it reluctantly starts. Rather than immediatly going to the right revs it slowly coughs it's way up to about 1200rpm. At other times it starts immediatly and goes straight up to the correct initial revs. It always starts however. Any ideas?

Mazda 323 starting problem - bell boy
has it been serviced lately? if not make that your first port of call...........
i seem to remember these were a long stroke engine and seemed to suffer from crankshaft pressures more, as a result of worn rings,do you have a breathing problem on this engine when you vent the filler neck (oil) to the atmosphere?
Had a full service in Jan, 3000mi ago. Didn't notice anything the last time I took the oil cap off. Does the engine have to be running to notice a breathing problem as you say?

Mazda 323 starting problem - bell boy
yes
Oldman - Thanks for the advice: I opened the oil filler cap this morning once the car was running normally. There was a very slight change in the note of the engine but it continued to run fine. I could hear the gurgling of the oil and there was a v small amount of oil droplets splashing out. Can you (or anyone else) help identify the problem/solution with these symptoms?