does an economical 4x4 exist? - stevedan
Thanks for replies to last post!
Now swinging back to the idea that we may have to get a 4x4, for reasons of ground clearance on our lanes, towing ease, and the fact that 4 kids(3 legally needing car seats - however much they insist they are too old for them) and dog just dont fit in anything else.
We are probably looking at buying something at least 5 years old,it must have 7 seats and it will be sole family car. Does anyone have any thoughts about the most economical to run?

does an economical 4x4 exist? - stunorthants
Not sure which one to suggest, but since driving all-wheel drive uses more fuel than two wheel drive, try finding something which doesnt have permanant four-wheel drive, thus normally runs in two wheel drive.
Obviously diesel too!
Id steer towards the medium sized models if you can find one with 7 seats.
I rather like the Nissan Terrano myself, not sure how many seats it has though.

Look at the age of vehicle you want, then buy the appropriately aged WhatCar? magazine off Ebay, which will have economy figures in it. I bought a huge collection, so if you want any figures for particular vehicles, let me know what models and ill look them up!
does an economical 4x4 exist? - local yokel
Nothing will be all that econimical to run in that age/capability bracket, I'd suggest. Older 4WD are expensive on tyres, fuel and drivetrain bits.

Do you really, really need 4WD is the question?

If you can stand banger motoring then search out a Peugeot 405 4x4, or the Citroen BX 4x4!
does an economical 4x4 exist? - stevedan
Thanks for offer of finding figures - will let you know when we have a shortlist! The Terrano is one we've been considering.

No, we don't really, really need 4x4 - been trying to avoid it, but we do live in the middle of moors - local lanes are like offroading, we are a family of six, and we have to tow a horse/sheep trailer occasionally! Can't find anything else that fits the bill - but any ideas welcome!
Currently driving elderly Peugeot 405 Tdi - brilliant old car, but now the family has grown we always have to leave someone behind!
does an economical 4x4 exist? - stunorthants
For what you want, id stick with the 4x4 idea as you have several needs which can be met on their own, but combined, very hard. Id steer clear of Discoverys though and stick with the japanese offerings. Id say prob Isuzu, Mitusubishi, Nissan and Toyota are worth a look.

Of that lot, I reckon id plump for the Isuzu myself thinking about it. They dont have the image of the others, so a little cheaper. A top spec Citation diesel.
does an economical 4x4 exist? - defender
Discovery 2 is very good and dont have the rust problems of the earlier model ,good 7 seater and runs about 29 mpg
spares and servicing costs are reasonable
mitsubishi 2.8 is good reliable comfy car , dont seem to have many problems but the 2.5 engine is very poor and under powered would not advise .the newer ones are very good if you can get one in your budget
Isuzu are only cheaper for a good reason ,I dont know anyone who has bought a second one , spares are very expensive
does an economical 4x4 exist? - v0n
ECONOMICAL was a topic - it's in thread title. So - guys, it's no longer 80ies - 29 mpg of Discovery or 26 mpg of Shogun/Pajero is not something you can really call economical, agree? :)
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
does an economical 4x4 exist? - blue_haddock
I would also suggest a discovery.

Sub 30mpg may not sound a lot but when you consider the size and weight of this type of vehicle that actually it's not too bad when a petrol engined version will probably be doing more like 15mpg.
does an economical 4x4 exist? - pafosman
Two issues really? Economical 4 x 4 AND 7 seater. Mmmm. Suzuki SJ 410 with a trailer for the children? They would love it but maybe H & S regs and insurance would not. There is one VW Caravelle Synchro on Autotrader but its a petrol - not so ecomonical I guess. Every evening on my way home I pass a Renault Espace Quadra. OK, i was only trying to widen the debate a little! IIRC County Conversions did a 4 X 4 Transit which you could put seats into? So many possibilities really.

Papho