Octavia 1.9 TD with DSG - Woody
I test drove a new Octavia today and thought it was brilliant with the build quality and refinement of an Audi, supple ride and great handling.

The 1.6FSI engine was weak and I definitely favour diesel. I also want auto.

The 2.0 TDI gets too pricey, so the obvious choice is a 1.9 TDi (105) with a DSG. Unfortunately, on doing a forum search, HJ asserts more than once that the 1.9 with DSG is a poor match.

Any other views and experience of this combo? I am driving the very model on Monday with a view to doing the deal, but would appreciate comments before I do.

Woody
Octavia 1.9 TD with DSG - stunorthants
A customer of mine has a Passat TDi DSG which replaced his Jaguar X-Type 2.5 and he thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. He spent months trying out every possible car he could have had and it always came back to that model. He rides a motorbike at weekends, so he does like a car to thrill during the week too, which is a good sign for drivability - he had a Golf TDi which he thought was awful and then hired a Focus which was equally dull as far as he was concerned.

From what ive heard about this engine/gearbox combination, it should be pretty good. Just remember, HJ is just one opinion and what suits the motoring press, doesnt always translate into a great owners car and you may find journalists who love this combination too. No offense to HJ!
Octavia 1.9 TD with DSG - Big John
I found the 2.0 TDI 140 to be very refined compared to the 1.9 TDI PD 105. In years to come I bet it keeps more of its value.

B.J