ABS Fault - Renault Scenic 1.8 Ltr - Mariana
Has anybody else suffered a fault in the Antilock Braking System on their Renault Scenic? And if so, were you able to obtain redress from Renault ?

- 45,000 miles
- 52 Reg. but just out of warranty
- Paid £1,009 to have ABS Control Unit replaced.

Started car on my drive and the brake warning lights stayed on. Renault garage advised towing the car to them. They diagnosed a failure in the ABS control unit and charged £1009 to replace it. They admitted this part should last a great deal longer and offered 20% discount on the labour cost of replacement. The unit however cost £608 plus VAT. I think this reflects poorly on Renault's quality and customer care.

Please respond to this forum if you have suffered a similar fate !
Thanks in advance
M
ABS Fault - Renault Scenic 1.8 Ltr - adverse camber
Well who makes the ABS ? Is it Bosch ? There is a common fault where a solder joint fails - easy fix for a man with a soldering iron. What was the actual fault?

Have you had the fluid changed ?
Why are you using the main dealer on a car out of warranty ?
ABS Fault - Renault Scenic 1.8 Ltr - Xileno {P}
It's not a common fault, it appears you have been unlucky. If the car was just out of warranty then I would have pushed for a greater contribution.
ABS Fault - Renault Scenic 1.8 Ltr - redviper
Well who makes the ABS ? Is it Bosch
? There is a common fault where a solder joint
fails - easy fix for a man with a soldering iron.
What was the actual fault?

Hi

Are you able to tell me, where do i find out if mine, on my Laguna is a Bosch system, and if it is, how i can diagnose the solder fault?

My ABS light has come on, its been back to Renault (at the cost of the Garage i bought the car from) and the damn thing comes back on again after a bit.

Ste
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
ABS Fault - Renault Scenic 1.8 Ltr - Avant
Renaults have more minor electrical problems than major failures, so there's a sporting chance that it may just be the warning light that's at fault. Worth having that checked first before some dealer starts trying to make money out of you. Dealers would much prefer it to be a big job, and the unscrupulous ones (still I hope a minority) take advantage of customers' lack of knowledge.
ABS Fault - Renault Scenic 1.8 Ltr - Aprilia
The labour charge to replace the ABS unit seems very high (over £300 after 20% discount??).

Note that there are a number of companies that recondition ECU's (often the failt is fairly minor - failed joint or defective driver transistors etc). Typical price for a rebuilt unit is 30-50% of a dealer part.

One such company is BBA-Reman (www.bba-reman.com).
ABS Fault - Renault Scenic 1.8 Ltr - redviper
Thanks its been back numerous times to the Independant that i bought it from they replaced varous bits, and it would be fine for a couple of weeks and then it came back on again, so of they packed it to Renault, who again replaced varous bits and its ok for a week or so and then comes back on again - but now its out of warranty i cant afford at this moment to pay for it only for it to happen again - i would love to be able to fix it though
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6