Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - A05087
Hi,

I'm looking at a 1998 Mk4 Golf SE TDI with 130k on the clock.

It was serviced regular by VW up until 98k and then locally my a friend of the family (not 100% sure about this).

It sounds ok, but I don't have a clue about cars. I have 2 Q's:

How many miles I can get out of this engine?
What should I be looking out for?

Thanks,

Paddy
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - Collos25
Recently featured in the German magazine Autobild.de was a mk1 with over 1000000 km on the clock original engine and gearbox plus it went through the TUV without problems.Look to see if the cam belt has been changed and the turbos tend to disintergrate when they get a bit older.
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - A05087
Thanks Andy,

is the cam belt and turbos expensive to replace?
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - Collos25
Cam belt no. its a service item look in the service book to see if its been changed recently ,the turbos can be a little expensive but it may last another 100k
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - Roger Jones
As I'm picking up an MB turbo tomorrow, I've been trying to learn a bit about turbos. I assume that three fundamental things apply equally to turbos fitted to diesels and petrol engines:

* In the words of one MB expert, "anyone with a turbo engine should never consider using a non-synthetic oil".

* Frequent oil changes are essential (i.e. 5000 miles max with fully synthetic; oh, alright, 7500 miles then).

* Letting the engine idle for at least 30 seconds before switching off is equally essential, to allow the turbo to spin down from tens of thousands of RPM under lubricated power (cf. allow 20 seconds before repowering a computer).

That is, if you are interested in prolonging the life of a turbo.

I welcome additions and corrections to that list.
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - mss1tw
Don't hold it at full throttle with engine labouring away. I've heard this is twice as bad in turbo cars although I forget the precise time. Turbo loading or something like that.
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - telecaster
I bought a 01 mondeo last week with 160,000 on clock.

Car has full up to date service history from main dealer.....otherwise i would not have touched it.

I read somewhere that a well maintained diesel engine that has regular oil/filter changes should be easily capable of at least a 500,000 miles......im banking on it anyway!
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - aahbarnes
I bought a 01 mondeo last week

No such thing as an 01 is there?
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - Adam {P}
He's not referring to the numberplate - just the year.
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - TurboD
treat a turbo as a replacement item, 100K to 150K , minimum of new seals, but the labour will be expensive so have recon.

Life of engine depends on use/maintenance. Short run =short life etc.
Max miles on the clock can a Mk4 Golf do - Civic8
>>Don't hold it at full throttle with engine labouring away. I've heard this is twice as bad in turbo cars although I forget the precise time. Turbo loading or something like that.

Applies on all engines,turbo or not,should not be laboured ie use the revs as engine is designed for,which many dont and wonder why they get problems!
--
Steve