Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - audiaudi
Hello,
Drving along in nose to tail traffic earlier today in my home city with the Mrs and daughter - a car ran into the rear bumper on our newish AudiS2. The fool had parked at a rightangle to the road in front of some close gates and as we passed, it started revesing slowly, we had to stop as it was stop start traffic - the guy crashed into our car and make it wobble and loud bang - the damage appeared hefty as its our car and cost us a lot, well a lot to us any way.

Cur a long story short, it was buy a bus stop as well - i got out, the guy apologised and said not much lets leave it at that - i sais let me have a proper look and need to exhange details but i was dubious about the guy as the car had the drivers corner already smashed and was a P reg Fiat Bravo - then his mate got out and started mouthing off saying 'the driver did not even hit your car mate' (he claimed to be a passer by) and proceeded to spit on its filth hand and take of its mates paint - I told him to leave my car alone and what's it got to do with him - then got involved with driver and our daughter told the guy not to use his spit to clean our car. Both then claimed there was no accident - luckily a police car came along in the other direction - the cop in the bmw asked with windo down any injuries, the g
Fiat driver said no, within a split second and cop said we are going. Luckily I used my brain for once ans shouted, I don't belive the guys details, but had not even took them - the police turned around the car, all traffic in the narrow high street held up.

We then all moved alonf 50 feet to a wider part of the road - a lady at the bus stop ranting i want to catch my bus and i blutered 'not until i've sorted out the damage to my 40k car, that shut her up :)

The police started seriously talking to the driver and the so-called passer by who was giving me dirty looks and rady to kill me i felt.

The cop came up and told me the guy was uninsured and would be reported but allowed to continue and we had to exchange details. I refused, as i offered my car reg, name and land line number, the copper offered to taake me to the nick - so i gave in as i remembered that i needed my policy number to avosid the full details - but before they gave the details to the criminal - i told the other cop to at least look at the car as the car was smashed already and the guy looked as though he was on drugs and his mate or passer by as he claimed.

The cops then noted that he hand no licence, no tax/mot and car was not registered.

The so-called passer by muttered and pointed at my my daughter a called her "something not very nice" when she was in the car - as i was talking to the oter cop with this new info our daughter go out and behaved very badly and asked the passenger/passer by, 'who you calling a ???? You pink fluffy headrest - the cop stepped in and moved the passenger away and then said something tome and I told them to arrest him - he laughed and then was told by the cops to go away or be arrested there and then - he left to my little surprise as he looked like a 6 foot junkie that was ready to kill.

The driver and his car was taken away by the police driver and they left me with details of the court it will be going to next week - I'm going to check - but making no claim as all their apint has been romoved from my black car, and just a 9 inch scuff mark and light scratch - not worth the effort - good job the cops were passing by.

Finally, my question - as this idiot has already no licence - driving with no insurance, no tax, no mot and it claimed the car belonged to a friend - what fine will he get?

Hw said to me that he'd said sorry as he left shaking his head and i said to him that if they has not lied and let me get my head round the situation he may have got away with it.

Intially i felt sorry for him - but on reflection, it is people like that that nearly cost my wifes life as we had a hit and rn about 15 years ago, the audi that was nearly new then sustained 2500 danamge - my wife had just got in the car.

So all n all, did me and my family do well at the very least to get one unroad owrth car of the road and a criminal driver in the dock - i just feel sad that i should have lied about the the pasenger and got him searched as we are all certain he was carrying a weapon

:(

Swearing (or attempt at bypassing the swearfilter) removed DD
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - Stuartli
Bizarre.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - NARU
Don't feel sorry for him - he took a risk which he is not allowed in law to take. What if the next thing he'd hit was a pedestrian or cyclist?
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - Hamsafar
Someone has swapped some key caps on your keyboard!

Anyway, this is terrible, and why I advocate not using your residential address for your Registered Keeper. Use a sole trader name to a mail box (street address, not PO Box)
This man could get your address of DVLA and take revenge, whereas you can't get his as he is not registered.
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - David Horn
Go round to his house and wee in his shoes.
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - audiaudi
tHANK YOU ALL.

jUST TO CLARIFY - THE CRIM DID NOT GET MY ADDRESS AS THE POLICE WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM ME DECIDED TO DO THEIR JOB.

HOWEVER, IT IS WORRYING THAT PPL LIKE THIS CAN TAKE YOUR DETAILS

pLEASE CORRECT ME - AM I WITHIN MY RIGHTS JUST TO PROVIDE CAR REG, INSURANCE NAME AND POLICY NUBER AND MY CONTACT PHONE?

Sorry left caps on.

Very seriously, if the cops had not been around, they would/could easily attacked me, dorove off and that would be that.

Uninsured drivers are responsible for 70 deaths on the roads and 89% of hit and runs

I've been a victim for the third time

HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - audiaudi
Don't feel sorry for him - he took a risk which
he is not allowed in law to take. What if
the next thing he'd hit was a pedestrian or cyclist?

totally agree and it's people like this that are responsible for the majority of hit and run accidents - it's like being mugged.

I have his address should i need to make a claim.
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - Perfection
I think your insurance company will not be able to make a claim against the in-unsured - this happened to me. You would be better off taking him to Small Claims court, that is if he attends the hearing.

Good luck...
>>that is if he attends the hearing>>

It wouldn't matter if he didn't attend - it would actually assist your claim to a successful conclusion.
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - Perfection
stuart - good thinkng.....
...however, it doesn't guarantee you will actually get any money from the defendent...:-(
HAD AN ACCIDENT TODAY - UNINSURED PILLOC - Bill Payer
>>that is if he attends the hearing>>
It wouldn't matter if he didn't attend - it would actually
assist your claim to a successful conclusion.
- - - - - - - - - - -

...but probably pointless if he has no money or seizable assets. He sounds like the kind of person who could/would just disappear.
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - MW
A sad business, but all too common. Good luck the police are there.
It is very natural to feel sorry for him, especially because of the contact with you, he is in trouble.
But it is not your fault. You are the victim. He has no feelings for you, but contempt. Remember, 1). It is very unlikely to be a first offence, I bet. 2). Next week he will do the same again, take your daughters leg off in an accident, and then say sorry.
I think if you turn up at court, you can ask the court for a restitution order. If they make it, and it is a straight forward case, they will compell him to 'make good your loses' as part of the natural justice of his punishment. You need details of your loss. You could ask your local magistrates court clerk how the mechanics of this operate.
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Peter D
I suggest you get a quote quickly for the repair cost and your out of pocket expenses and formally present it at the court hearing and request due payment.The court may award you the costs or give wriiten staement to the small claims court so a fee will be due. I wonder if the value of his impounded car would cover the cost of the damage. Attending the court will also level the playing field as you will obtain the true residential address of the git as the police will have checked it out. You may need the address to put the baliffs after he fails to pay for your repairs and he'll know you have his address to be able to do that.

What a pain. Regards Peter
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Phil I
From Stuart
>..however, it doesn't guarantee you will actually get any money from the defendent

From Bill Payer
>..but probably pointless if he has no money or seizable assets. He sounds like the kind of person who could/would just disappear

Both posters truly write words of wisdom. Move on AudiAudi just try to delete
the whole incident from your memory banks. All that is in this for you now is aggravation and expense. Take it from one who has been there, done all that, got the T shirt and believe me it is just not worth the time, money and stress

Look to the future not the past - unable to alter the second and can only try to influence the first

Phil I
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - mikeyb
Sadly I expect that if he does turn up at court he will pleed that he has no money and will be given a token fine which he can pay at £1 a week. A Colleague of mine is a fairly new magistrate and takes a very hard line on just about anything, but has come under some pressure from his peers for his hard line. He utilises custodial sentences quite often for anyone he sees as a repeat offender, but sadly I think he is in the miniority
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Fullchat
Magistrates Courts do not deal with uninsured loss claims (or compensation) as a result of collisions.
However proividing you have the other drivers name and address and he is uninsured you hace a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau. Put MIB in the search engine and its all there including claim forms.
--
Fullchat
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - L'escargot
Finally, my question - as this idiot has already no licence
- driving with no insurance, no tax, no mot and it
claimed the car belonged to a friend - what fine will
he get?

If it was me I'd be more concerned with getting my car repaired than wondering what the fate of the other driver was going to be. It wouldn't do you any good to know anyway. Just put the matter in the hands of your insurance company and get your car sorted. Other than that, just be pleased that it was a low speed accident and that there was no personal injury involved. These things happen.
--
L\'escargot.
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Paul I
Last year my car was hit last year by an uninsured lorry driver - thanks to him my less than 3 year old Renault Scenic was written off ! This is what the driver got from the court

Diving without insurance - £ 200 fine (licence endorsed with 6 points)
No MOT - £100 fine
No operators licence - £200

In the mean time my insurance case isn't closed so i'm paying an extra £ 500 + insurance as my NCD has lost a life so to speak (till it's reinstated sometime next millennium) And guess what this guy is still with 4 vans and none of them taxed running around here !! We live in a wonderful if sometimes testing country

Paul
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Armitage Shanks {p}
If they aren't taxed he should be getting fixed penalties from DVLA. If you go to the DVLA website there is a link for reporting untaxed vehicles, if you feel strongly about it.
Hi

A big thank you to all that understand what we have been through.

third time for me :(

Just to clarify and I reiterate - Not interested in Insurance claim as the guy looked like a full time loser and his buddy looked seriouslt deranged - we are luck that me and family were not attacked.

the damage is on the surface of the black bunmper and a good coloured polish shouls tidy up.

Update: Tried rigning the court after about 70 attempts got through, no press 5 for the auto call back avialable - was put in touech with a chairty - they gave me a number to 'crime victim' i think it's called - the guy there really helpful and he left me a message as i don't know the mobile off the top of my head - on return home from the VM stated, police should contact me tomorrow and update or the gentleman will.

Thanks to the memeber who gave me an idea re possible fine/etc for this crim.

I will re-post here next time when i know what has happened.

It is people like this that kill and maim for life people like us and our fmailies. Just imagine if it had been dark and a quietish road - the two crims would have never stopped or attacked me and my family and fled, and no conviction.

Thanks again all!
BTW: If in doubt about the other driver, call the cops and insist that you sincerely feel the other guy is not giving true details, but it can be risky to you so judge for yourself.

Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - smilingvulture
the laws in this country--make people who pay insurance--the losers

never mind IRAQ--cant this useless gov sort it out

Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Greg R
This should be so easy to sort out when we think about it.

The government can sort out murders, wars, going to space and all these complex things, and yet a simple thing of uninsured vehicles is a big problem.

All it needs is a disc like in other countries, and any car without will have the car taken away, and a life time fine of half your salary / dole money for life. Then people would think?

Probably a little strong, but it should be sorted out by now.

Sometimes, I wish I was just a criminal on the dole...life would be so easy!!!
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Andrew-T
"All it needs is a disc like in other countries, and any car without will have the car taken away"

Come on, get real. All sorts of people are dodging things like discs, insurance, licences all the time. Overcoming all that would require thousands of others carrying out full-time surveillance, which could cost more than the losses they are trying to prevent, and lead to more grumbles about a police state. I don't have an answer, but the problem is basically too many low-lives behaving anti-socially without any conscience. Their characters are not easily corrected once thay become 'adults' I'm afraid.
Update: Contacted the gent again today as cop did not callback.

Got the names of the cops, and if no response by tomorrow, the guy at the 'victim service' centre will follow through for me.

Hopefully i will be posting the good news here so0n!
Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Greg R
Andrew T:

I am not saying it is an easy thing to sort out, but all I am saying is a little initiative would improve the situation. It is a joke at the moment. Easily identifiable cars would be the answer. If it hasn't been insured, the police would know straight away.

And if people are scared of the police and see their presence (I.E. uninsured vehicles get stopped), then this uninsured and untaxed situation will get better.

A bit like HJ's argument about lorries from abroad causing accidents on our motorways...the government needs to act, and not just speak. And for one I am pro speed camera's, so I am not one of those people who just moans about the government...they do a huge amount of brilliant things. And the technology is there!

Had An Accident Today - Uninsured Pilloc - Dynamic Dave
The driver and his car was taken away by the police
driver and they left me with details of the court it
will be going to next week

As this is going to court (I hadn't spotted it earlier - thanks to the person who did), it is within your interests not to discuss this matter further on any public bulletin board as you could be held in contempt of court for discussing the matter.

Thread locked.

DD.