Advice re young person learning to drive - HF
Not me!

I'm a little premature here, but eldest son will be 17 in 9 months and will be wanting to learn to drive. I know there's lots of stuff here on the site about young people's insurance, but these things seem to change so quickly that I'd appreciate some up-to-date advice. I need to know my options and think of the best thing I can do for him.

OK, first, we are let's say financially-challenged (OK dirt-poor). I have absolutely no chance of paternal support.

I am very reluctant to try to teach him myself, one because I am the world's most nervous passenger and two because even in the best of circumstances these things are always fraught with problems. (I remember my own Dad teaching me, with horror).

But, driving lessons costing what they do, I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and do most of the training myself, followed by a course with a driving school to get him ready for his test.

Insurance is obviously an issue. I'm currently with Budget, which gave me the best deal for me, when I last renewed. But am I best asking them to make my son a named driver on my insurance, or getting insurance in his own right (don't know if this is possible) which would at least protect my own NCB.

Also, for anyone who has ever taken their kid through a test, am I better giving him some practice in my car first, and then getting proper lessons, or the other way round?

Any comments gratefully received.
HF
Advice re young person learning to drive - Altea Ego
Young RF is 17 in September.

There is no way on earth that a 17 year old boy will take advice from his father so lessons from me are FORBIDDEN.

Every significant birthday cash sum has been snatched away since birth and placed in a savings account. He now has £1500 pounds to help fund his first car/insurance combo.

He has 1 free lesson by way of a BSM voucher obtained at the last motor show.

Every relative will be asked to not give money or pressie to junior on his birthday but the cost of 1 lesson to me. That should provide him with another 10 lessons.

Any other lessons he has to work for. I will pay his test fee(s)

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Advice re young person learning to drive - cub leader
There is no way on earth that a 17 year old
boy will take advice from his father so lessons from me
are FORBIDDEN.

Got to disagree with you there I'm afraid TVM both me and my brother have been taken out in the car to practice the basics before we had any lessons. dad used to take us to a quiet industrial estate and just have us move off and move confidently uo the gears turn round at the other end and drive back. He would then also take us out for practice between driving lessons and we would do the run to the shops etc at weekends to build up confidence and practice. it helped and probably meant we needed less lessons than we would have done without.

However i found the worse one was when i took my brother out for practice, that definently should be a no no!!
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
Advice re young person learning to drive - MichaelR
Young RF is 17 in September.
There is no way on earth that a 17 year old
boy will take advice from his father so lessons from me
are FORBIDDEN.

This is not the case.

I had just 6 professional lessons, and passed my driving test first time at 17 I then passed my IAM exam about 2 years later.

Why? I used to go out driving with my Dad as much as I could. It's perfectly possible to do it this way, and it saves a bundle.
Advice re young person learning to drive - Civic8
Hi HF,I was in same position a while ago,Daughter had reached 18.

got in touch with insurers they mentioned over a grand to insure her on my policy,I dont pay a 1/4 of that myself.

I had recommendation of driving instructor,she costs £19 per lesson and seems fine,and Daughter is progressing well,If you want her tel/no-e`mail me she is local and cheaper than teaching yourself..or passing on bad habits which I was afraid of doing :(
--
Steve
Sorry said 18/meant 17..oh for edit button;)
--
Steve
Blimey that was quick, even for here!

Thanks TVM (sorry cannot get used to that name, to be you will always be RF :) but I didn't have the foresight you obviously had. I see the sense in asking for driving lesson donations for his next birthday though - although that will be very limited, as I said no help will happen from his paternal family, sadly.

Actually I was not quite so remiss as it sounds, from his 15th birthday onwards I have suggested that he starts saving birthday and Christmas money towards driving, but heck when you're 15, 17 sounds such a long way off, doesn't it? Anyway it didn't happen, but maybe I will do that with his next birthday, it will be a bit of a help.

You say fathers and sons a no-no - but I can see a similar situation as a mother and son. We're kind of 'shout now, talk later'.

Steve, thanks, I will email you for that lady's number. The insurance thing, currently mine is about as low as I can get it although I think in any case I am going to have to change from fully comp to third party next renewal date. Actually that's a point - would I have to have fully comp to teach someone, or even to give him practice? I'm guessing so.

HF
Advice re young person learning to drive - pmh
Is it different teaching a son than a daughter? I taught my daughter at the age of 17 and whilst we had a few 'discussions' generally she took on board everything I said. She had a few lessons to prepare for her test, (which she failed much to the surprise of her instructor). At the second attempt (2 months on) no problems.
10 years on and she is one of the few people who I am comfortable being driven by, and she will still listen to advice as given.

Whether it is the style of teaching or the relationship that counts I do not pretend to know. But she has never forgotten how I taught her to ride a bike. The first lesson was how to fall off without hurting herself, and then just ride!

--

pmh (was peter)

Advice re young person learning to drive - Manatee
FWIW, I taught both of mine (one of each) the basics of car control (stopping, starting, changing gear, manoeuvering) before they had lessons as I thought £25 an hour to do that was wasted. You will need to stay calm and bite your tongue. I then sent them for lessons but accompanied them on practice runs in between which agian helped build confidence in car control - the idea being that on the test they should be able to concentrate on doing the right things road-wise rather than worrying about whether they can do a hill start/reverse round a corner.

They both passed first time, but I put this down to luck, being a third timer myself;-)
Manatee, ok thanks again - I can see the worth of teaching real basics like that, before lessons.

I'm very used to biting my tongue, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just have to disguise my own nervousness.

I was a second-timer, first failure being due to the fact that I had only had formal lessons and no practice. But the lessons from my Dad were pure hell, I just want to avoid the mistakes we made then. (as in letting tempers etc get in the way. I couldn't begin to recount the times that we finished with me in tears and him in a temper).
Advice re young person learning to drive - Manatee
I'm very used to biting my tongue, so that shouldn't be
too much of a problem. Just have to disguise my own
nervousness.

the lessons from my Dad were pure hell, I just want
to avoid the mistakes we made then. (as in letting tempers
etc get in the way. I couldn't begin to recount the
times that we finished with me in tears and him in
a temper).

You have to be prepared to act patient no matter how expasperated you feel with them - not just what you say, but no tutting, sucking through teeth etc, just "don't worry, take your time and try again". And agree in advance that when either of you has had enough you will stop. I was surprised how soon my son became tired - half an hour and he would be exhausted and happy to let me drive home.

You might find that adding a learner to the insurance is fairly cheap - the first renewal afetr they have passed it becomes expensive.

Manatee, you're very helpful here - thanks yet again.

The advice about no tutting etc is very sound. I know I can do that if I tell myself that I won't, prior to going out. And half-hour stretches are going to be ok. Even I can keep my temper that long! ;)

My aim is to get him through the test, after that I'm going to have to make him pay his own insurance, or in the very least to make a big contribution to it.
Advice re young person learning to drive - henry k
I am very reluctant to try to teach him myself,

But, driving lessons costing what they do, I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and do most of the training myself, followed by a course with a driving school to get him ready for his test.
Also, for anyone who has ever taken their kid through a test, am I better giving him some practice in my car first, and then getting proper lessons, or the other way round?

>>
Objectives. IMO
1.To get him to pass the test
2.Retain your sanity & relationship
3.Teach him to drive

IMO you must start with a driving school as they know what is required to pass the test.
This will avoid your traits being passed on.
Find out what he has been taught and try not to confuse him with other advice.
Later provided you have a suitable vehicle then he may be able to practice with you.
I bought a tatty UNO for my two but of course it had quite a different feel and a different gear box gate.

I payed for all the lessons as I did not want studies disturbed.
I also came to an agreement that they delayed lessons til the summer so that the weather and light evenings made it more pleasant.

You can give lots of help with the H/W code.

Later you can help hone their driving if they will listen.
Advice re young person learning to drive - Roberson
I agree largely with henry k, probably because this was how I was taught to drive (just under 3 years ago when I was 17)

It was agreed that my parents would pay for the driving lessons and test fees, which in hindsight, was an unusually expensive birthday present (thanks mam + dad!). They wanted us (my sister and I) to learn to drive as soon as we could as it was thought to be an important/necessary 'skill' which would help later in life, mainly with transport to University and employment in mind. They too, didn't want studies interrupted. Since I was born, an account was open to which my parents and grandparents had saved an admirable amount of money, which was solely to buy a first car and first years insurance with (which it did). After that, I was on my own financially.

I also agree its best to let the driving school lay down the foundations. My dad only took me out after 15 hours with an instructor, and even then said little in the way of advice. Not in a nasty way you understand, just because the driving instructor had his way of teaching and my dad didn't want to interfere. So, I would only take them out after some professional tuition.

As far as insurance is concerned, pre successful test days will be horrendous. Afterwards, I always say its best for him to get his own. Although initially more expensive, it?s cheaper in the long run as it?ll allow him to run up a NCB (well, hopefully!)
Advice re young person learning to drive - Chris M
I've got a few years yet before my sons are 17. My father taught my brother and me to drive and we both passed first time and with no professional lessons - but that was nearly 30 years ago. I know there is now a theory test, but is it that much different now? Traffic levels depend on where you live and where I am, I can find roads with very little traffic.

I think one of the main reasons for passing first time was the amount of practice I got. I probably drove in excess of 3,000 miles whilst learning. Practice makes perfect.

Chris M
Chris I only passed about 12 years ago, but before the theory test - but I don't see that as a problem.

As for practice makes perfect - of course! - but I myself do only maybe 5000 miles per year. It's going to be a kind of 'suck and see' from that perspective, I think - like getting son to drive to college with me, instead of me doing it for him. As I said originally, I am a nervous passenger. Thankfully I have a few months to come to terms with it.
Hi Roberson,

Thanks for that. And yup it would be rather an expensive pressie for me to give, much as I would like to. I, like your parents, also think it's pretty much a necessary skill for me to give my kids. My son has already mentioned an interest in getting a pushbike for college next year, and I really am reluctant about that. I don't want pushbike fans to come and endorse them here, I just read the facts and figures and in the first place would rather give my kids lifts wherever they need, and second would rather they got good, responsible teaching with a car at the appropriate time.

I tend to agree that it would be best to give him some profesdsional lessons, if I can, and then back them up myself.

I also agree that once he has his test under his belt it's going to have to be up to him to insure himself. Is my own insurance going to be horrendous whilst he's using my car to practise on, though? Is the former M (RBLS) still about, maybe he'd know about this?

And Schoolboy, ta - I've heard of PassPlus, it's something I should look into nearer the time.
Pmh (was Peter), with all due respect, and I take what you say, but falling off a bike and getting back on is not in the same category as crashing a car and then getting into another one! Don't know if daughters are different to sons, since I only have sons, and no I do not think it would ever really harm our relationship. But this is why I'm trying to get as much advice as poss as soon as I can. Everything everyone is saying, I am taking on board. So thanks.

Henry, thank you, don't think I've 'met' you before. I'd actually probably put your objectives in the reverse order! Or maye even 2,3,1.

I'm grateful for all the pointers you have mentioned. They're actually quite valid to me. Without wishing to sound (may I say 'anal', D?) my own driving is pretty much as I was taught by my driving school, albeit 12 years on. For example I still do the steering-wheel thing that you are taught in driving school, which most people abandon after passing their test. And other stuff. I'm sure I have bad traits, but maybe not as many as most. (which is because I am still rather a cautious driver, not because I am a great one)

I tend to agree, maybe getting a course of lessons and then the practice. Getting an extra car is out of the question, even if it is a tatty old banger. So I'm looking I suppose to insure him on my own car, at some point. And yeah I am well aware that the gears and other thingsd will feel quite different, so I either have to get him used to taking a test in my car, or get lessons throughout.

As for studies, well GCSEs will be done in a couple of months, so that won't be hanging over him. Take your point re the weather too, I will have to see what he thinks about that. (I really would prefer that he goes the legal way than gets encouraged to take the reckless path by illegally driving his father's car, which he has already done and been encouraged to do, in car parks etc.)

Oh and of course I will do all I can to help with the Highway Code - am very used to helping with exam revision now!

Steve, it may be my computer but cannot access your email addy. Am going to prevail on DD to pass my address to you, and will be grateful if you can contact me - thanks.
Advice re young person learning to drive - henry k
My posted objectives were aimed at simplifying and listing the aims.
Your driving style seems to be closer to the test requirements than many on the road. That should make things simpler.
The course will have changed since you performed e.g new parking requirements so one of the course guides or a DVD should bring you up to date.

>>So I'm looking I suppose to insure him on my own car, at some point. so I either have to get him used to taking a test in my car, or get lessons throughout.

I am not sure what is required re an additional internal mirror for the instructor. Someone on the forum will probably know.

With the current Health & Safety environment are their any insurance / safety pitfalls re your car being used for the test?

I guess one important instruction is "When I shout STOP I mean NO questions just hit the brakes etc." remembering you only have a handbrake and some poor control of the steering wheel.

I wish you well in your new role.
Thanks Henry. Interior mirror no problem, already have one somewhere. Don't know of anything that would be against Health and Safety in my car, but it's a point worth noting and checking.

And the no questions asked is something I will HAVE to employ.

At least I have a few months to get used to the whole idea. Been dreading it for years, but I guess it's all part of being a parent.
Advice re young person learning to drive - pmh
HF, the "falling off...." was to indicate the learning /teaching style. Not to be followed too literally! Initially for driving a car, I adapted it to teaching clutch control and then basics of braking and steering control; just find a large area of open space where cause and effect can experienced 'in the flesh.' It makes the actual teaching of driving and survival much easier once the basics have become second nature.

The more I think about it I realise that I have used this style for years in all aspects of staff management, coaching, mentoring.... as well!

If you find something that works stick with it and refine it. But dont jeopardise your relationship with your son. If it becomes to fraught you will have to bite the bullet and just pay!

--

pmh (was peter)

OK pmh, points taken. Thank you.

When the time comes, a great big open space would certainly be a good starting point.

Like you say, the last thing I want is to compromise my relationship with my son, which up till now has been remarkably good. I think that's half the point of me starting this thread in the first place.

I know you say 'just pay', but it's not always that easy - I'd love to do that but - well we shall have to see. Who knows, between now and then I might win the lottery...

HF
Advice re young person learning to drive - school boy
If he does Pass Plus this will help bring down the price of the insurace.
Advice re young person learning to drive - Peter D
You can not get insure in your own name until you have passed you test. Consider dual control rental cars like Arnold Clark at £9 per hour plus fuel. then a few lasson from a school and take his test in the school car. Do pass plus then look at your options. Regards Peter
Advice re young person learning to drive - PhilW
Some good suggestions above - I guess that I followed manatee's ideas the closest. Teaching son and daughter the basics, but then getting a family friend (whose daughters were their school friends) who had recently given up driving instruction for a more lucrative profession, to give them lessons. We were lucky in some respects - there was an old abandoned airfield nearby to practise basics on; our second car was an old BX, which had done 150k and was worth nothing, to practise in; we have loads of very quiet country roads around, on which to practise. We paid some of the lesson costs but they also paid, via evening/weekend jobs at a supermarket.
I don't think I would have tried to "teach" them myself - too many bad habits? and, they would say, too bad tempered! - but I enjoyed going out in the evening so that they could practise - though the carpet in the passenger footwell got rather worn by being used as a brake pedal!
--
Phil
Phil yup, the worn passenger 'brake bits' are one of the many things I am thinking of, not because of wear and tear but cos of nervous passenger syndrome. But you've given me an idea, actually.

From all the advice I have so quickly received here tonight, I am thinking about a course of proper lessons, for which I will have to start saving up poste-haste, plus afterwards going out with me, and also, if my dear old Dad will consider it, my son going out with him too from time to time. There will be much more respect and consideration there than my lad going out with me. Or if that's not possible, I have a mate or two who might consider it.

I'm so grateful for all these responses tonight. This is something I'm going to come back to especially in regard to the insurance, as from what I hear it's at least about £1500 for a young learner.

Thanks all.

HF
"from what I hear it's at least about £1500 for a young learner."
Is it really that much?? Seem to remember it was about £200 10 years ago when I added son and daughter to my policy. Are you sure you are not confusing insurance taken out for 17 year old DRIVER, with ADDING a Learner to YOUR policy?? (Not shouting - just trying to emphasise difference!!)
Mind, I could be completely wrong - but cost of lessons pales to insignificance beside that insurance cost!

--
Phil
>>Seem to remember it was about £200 10 years ago

I was told just over £1000 to include my Daughter on my policy,But was told once the test was passed premium would drop by 50%,So far its worked out cheaper for lessons rather than me teach so will will carry on with paying for lessons
--
Steve
"just over £1000"
Blimey! You have my sympathy!!
--
Phil
Minefield.

Phil I may well have confused the 'adding driver to my policy' with the other thing.

But from what Steve is saying, prices have gone up a lot since you put your kids through the test.

I hope not to bore you all with this for another nine months! - but I'm staggered by, and really grateful for, all the replies tonight. I'm kind of glad to have put out the feelers early, because at least I have some idea of what I am going to be faced with (bankruptcy and a re-mortgage?!).

Thanks all, have told my son about all replies up until he went to bed, he also takes it on board and has said he will start trying to save up too. What worries me is that he's also now talking about a moped, a pushbike, or even learning on a motorbike. And for all I have said about the cost of learning to drive a car, and some may mock me for this, I would rather mortgage my soul than have him trying to negotiate the streets between here and Dartford on any of the above. Yes I am being 'over-protective mother' but every single week I see horrific local stories regarding bikes of all types. And cars too, yes - which is why I want him to have the best possible training, in the best, safest possible vehicle, that I can do.

Limited resources, yes, but I would literally do anything to get him the safest training possible, and I'm sure there's no-one here who would disagree with that, at least.
Advice re young person learning to drive - teabelly
If you can't afford proper lessons then maybe telling him the bad news if he wants more than a couple he'll have to get a job and fund them himself is the most sensible option. If he does do this he'll probably appreciate them and value them a lot more. Ditto his first car or sticking him on your insurance. If he can't afford it then he'll have to take the bus until he can. It's tough love but a reality lesson won't go amiss!

I wouldn't recommend taking him out yourself until he has quite a few lessons and wants to get extra driving time. The first ones are usually the most patience challenging. If you have some friends that would be willing to take him out it might be a lot easier as learning to drive with a close relative is usually a recipe for slanging matches and sulking :-)
teabelly
Advice re young person learning to drive - Peter D
A friend added his Son onto his policy as a leaner but when, and they did warn him, he passed his test they would not insure him at all. BMW 5 series. Remember as soon as your off spring pass the driving test tell the insurance company. There was a case of a lassie passing her test and on getting home popping out for a drive on her own. Totalled the car on the front of a bus and the insurance company refused to pay as she was not a supervised learner driver. Regards Peter
Advice re young person learning to drive - deepwith
Having son and daughter pass tests recently I quickly understood why it was £600 to add girl and £1000+ to add boy to insurance! Daughter even drove across London and round Marble Arch with L plates, son didn't get off the airstrip....
Get your son the highway code now then he can sit the theory as soon as he is 17 - you can practise the multichoice questions on the web - although he should have a lesson or two first to get help with the hazard perception tests as you fail if you buzz too many hazards as well as too few.
Neither went on the road until with a professional instructor (they get paid to be frightened!) If you can get on private land, such as an old airstrip (should be some round your area even if you have to go out towards Biggin Hill!) so he can practise stopping, starting + basic gear changing without stalling or kangerooing. Mirror and position drill he can do anywhere - seeing you driving well will be his best lesson.
Don't stick with the same instructor if you/son are not 100% happy. Both mine changed instructors haivng stayed too long with ones who were wrong for them.
Both children worked from 13 starting with paper-rounds, son (since 14) works for local council as an attendant at the local recreation centre where they pay hourly rate without discounting for youth! He is looking for more work now as he had not realised how expensive petrol was - wait til he has to run his own car!
Advice re young person learning to drive - IanJohnson
Ours have both been through it, latest 2 years ago.

Would recommend them starting with an instructor since the way I was taught to drive, and still drive, (use of gears) would apparently fail a test now! You can always teach them new systems AFTER they have passed.

When they (and you) are ready start to take them out yourself but try not to change anything their paid instructor has told them to do, concentrate on hazard awareness and anticipation a junctions. Also if there is a junction they say they don't like, or don't handle well, make sure they go round/through it over and over and over and over again, especially if, like my daughters least favourite roundabout, it is near the test centre.

As for boys (I have one and he still speaks to me) - make it very clear to him that if he shows signs of not listening/taking advice then all driving lessons will stop immediately (i.e just as soon as he can stop and you can change seats) and stick to it.

May also be worth speaking to the chief examiner for your local test centre and asking him who submits the best prepared candidates. You should also ask the instructor what DoT grade they are before you book the first lesson (scale is 1-6 with 6 being the best, and rarest - I only know one and he is retired now, use a 5 or 6 only (1-3 have pink(?) cards and can only teach under supervision (not 100%) BSM used to employ lots of them, don't know if they still do) - it is one case where fewer lessons at a couple of quid more per lesson is cheaper.
Advice re young person learning to drive - local yokel
BSM lessons can be bought cheap by using Tesco Clubcard points - tinyurl.com/zbdtt - £60 of Clubcard points gets £240 worth of lessons, say 8-9 lessons?
Advice re young person learning to drive - commerdriver
I took both my sons (3 years apart) out on quiet roads on a local industrial estate to get them used to the basics, clutch control, gearchanging, steering etc. They both had lessons from a professional instructor and I took them out for practice in between. Don't worry about gettting used to two cars they managed that with no problem.
We had an old car insured in my name which they used for practice, adding them to the insurance as a learner was not expensive, having them as the main driver once they had passed their tests was/is expensive but less so than insurance in their own name.
Advice re young person learning to drive - Union Jack
HF - Very nice to see one of your typically thoughtful contributions again after what seems a fairly long silence, albeit only since January, and I'm glad that DVD's advice was so successful regarding the parking ticket.

Henry K's dictum, "When I shout STOP I mean NO questions just hit the brakes etc", summed up both the learning and insurance issues for me in one sentence, and really struck a chord to remind me of my own very sharp learning curve - pun intended.
My learning experience was so long ago that it probably has little relevance in today's world, starting as I did absolutely from scratch with five two hour lessons over five days, starting on the Monday after Christmas and ending that Friday with the test taking place during the tenth hour on the Friday morning, coupled with driving with my Father in the afternoons.

The instructor and I drove away from the driving school in the centre of Edinburgh, and ten minutes later he stopped, put me behind the wheel, explained the controls, and off we went to practice on the then western Edinburgh test area - pace the residents of Woodford Green who seem to have been so put upon recently. On the Wednesday, the instructor decided to confirm the time of the test on the Friday, and I had my first experience of road rage since he nearly had a seizure when, on checking, he discovered that it was actually due to take place on the then eastern Edinburgh test area! An exciting drive through the centre of Edinburgh followed as we went off to familiarise me with the eastern area.

Is there a point to this story? Yes, I found the afternoon sessions, driving on the outskirts of the city with my Father, immensely useful since he quietly let me get on with what the instructor had told me, with one startling exception on the first day. We were returning along a long straight derestricted road (which I confidently bet now has a 40 or 50 mph limit, and at least two cameras!), when Father suddenly shouted "Stop! Stop! Stop!", which I immediately did. He then peremptorily ordered me out of the driving seat and, when I politely queried what, if anything, I had done wrong, said "You didn't, I did. I completely forgot to have you insured to drive this car!"

This was put right the next day, and I should also add that the examiner did not require me to do an emergency stop during the test - I had to initiate it myself when the car in front of me overturned on black ice, following which the examiner said that one emergency stop during the test was quite enough for anyone!
Did I pass? Yes, I did, but I would be absolutely horrified if any young person in this day and age compacted their first hands-on experience and successful test into one working week which, in my case, was dictated by the fact that I only had a short period of leave available between two seagoing appointments.

So HF, in summary, you highlight two very interesting points on which it certainly is worth doing some forward planning on the lines suggested, and endorsed by so many contributors. As our lawyer friends say "Circumstances alter cases" and one should only teach, or give driving experience to one's learner family member, if both of you are completely happy with the ground rules, and properly insured - in advance! - including those using company cars checking that their insurance cover allows learners to drive. No harm either in showing the young master what the forum has to say, with his best interests - and yours! - in mind and - who knows? - we may end up with a new youngest member.

Incidentally, depending on your research, your circumstances, and the advice of the resident experts, you may find that there is surprisingly little difference between comprehensive and third party insurance premiums.

Keep us posted.

Jack

PS I trust that Mothering Sunday was duly remembered ....
Advice re young person learning to drive - commerdriver
I would be absolutely horrified if any young person in this day >> and age compacted their first hands-on experience and successful >> test into one working week

Around us this is quite a popular route to learning, a number of my sons' friends have done this over the last few years. IMO it only really qualifies them to pass a test and puts them at severe risk as they build up initial experience on their own rather than with mum or dad in the passenger seat during the learning period.

PS I do echo what Cub Leader said earlier on in the thread, going for practice with big brother as the qualified driver is a no no however desperate they both are to do it.
Advice re young person learning to drive - expat
I have three sons and have just put my youngest through the test. With the oldest two we paid for lessons and took them out to practice what they had learnt. Lessons were once a week and practice sessions were after work every day. With the youngest one he didn't want to do lessons but we made him take some to start with. Then we took him out at least once every day.

Between half an hour and an hour is about as much as you should take them out for. Get hold of all the details about what is tested and practice every manouvre many times. When he is starting to get the hang of things increase the difficulty. If he makes a mistake don't tell him straight off while he is still driving. Get him to pull over somewhere and then ask him to talk about it. He will probably have realised his error and may have already drawn the right conclusions. You can then discuss it with him.
You could also see if he wants to get a summer holiday job to help pay for driving expenses and to contribute a bit to his keep. I was brought up myself in a single parent family and every penny counted. I was proud to be independent as soon as possible and he may well feel the same way.
Thank you all so much for all the new replies!

There's so much good advice here, I really am grateful. I won't waffle (don't faint, Dave!) but I will just say that I'm going to go with the general consensus of at least getting some proper formal lessons in before I or any friend takes my lad out for practice.

Coincidentally my son actually started a Saturday job this past weekend, and I have discussed this thread with him. At the moment, he feels that he wants to enjoy his new-found and hard-earned wages, which, even if not the wisest thing, is fine by me, since he now understands that I am not suddenly going to have a spare £1500 or whatever it is by the end of the year. He knows he has to save, and at least make some kind of a contribution. We'll work something out, we always do, but in the meantime this thread has given me loads of helpful hints and advice - and getting a copy of the Highway Code now is a great idea.

Just want to say special thanks to Union Jack for being so kind and thoughtful to me - it's so much appreciated. :)

HF
Advice re young person learning to drive - daveyjp
My father's an instructor and his best piece of advice is to save £1,000+ in a 'driving lessons' account before you start lessons. That way the money will be there and you will be in a position to have two lessons a week (dad's pupils who have two lessons a week generally pass with fewer lessons). It also means you aren't cancelling because you can't afford it.

As for teaching him yourself - no probs, but taking the test in any car is becoming more difficult.

A number of cars are deemed unsuitable for testing (new Tigra and Mini convertible to name two) and recently an examiner refused to undertake a test in an A class because it had the auto locking set to lock when the car moved (health and safety issue) - only the dealer can turn it off so the test was cancelled.
If you google - driving test - a dsa link will come up where you can practise the theory test. When looking for instructors on google we also found some larger driving school websites give really good info on everything from choosing an instructor to exactly what is tested, and how, in the test. Some schools also give you a plan of lessons and tick off as you achieve different 'tasks' to a pass level of competence. This also allows the wallet wielder to assess value for money and expectations when practise driving.

I would agree with Davey about two lessons a week (or more) as you build more quickly on each lesson. Some people like two hour lessons but one of my children found one hour was enough - the second hour was wasted as learner was too tired.

RF Aw gee shucks! I'm blushing ....

Jack

"RF Aw gee shucks! I'm blushing ...."

HF I do beg your pardon - now I'm blushing even more!

PS Absolutely no input required from RF aka TVM aka Algernon ....

Jack
Advice re young person learning to drive - Adam {P}
aka Fishface.
Advice re young person learning to drive - SpamCan61 {P}
HF - one thing to bear in mind if you do end up putting your son on your insurance, check out any additional excess as well as the increase in premium. From memory my extra excess is about 500 quid under these circumstances; maybe other policies are better in this respect.

apologies if this has already been mentioned in the thread but I couldn't see any references to it.
Advice re young person learning to drive - cabsmanuk
Do you have any Tesco 'Deals' vouchers? You can use them with BSM and save a fortune in lesson costs.
Hello all,

Just saying thanks for all the extra advice - and I will still try not to waffle on too much.

The idea of getting a 'driving fund' together is a good one, although offspring's new job is at a minimum wage just now, saving £1000 is not going to happen quickly. I'd love to say to him that I'd double up pound for pound or something like that, but the HF household income is really smaller than most of you would ever have your worst nightmares about.

Which kind of brings me back to my initial problem, I really do not want for him to take the option of a pushbike or similar, my mind really would not rest with that and I want to explore every single extra option before even considering it.

I will check with my insurance company (and probably many others) what is likely to happen both with premiums and excesses.

And, if the Tesco 'deal' vouchers are the same ones I have been giving to my youngest's school then I must start keeping them for myself!

Union Jack - you have given me my first real laugh of the day - thank you! I never knew RF had so many aliases though. Sometimes I do wonder about changing my own name here - but the few people that still remember me of old would then not know who I was. So not worth it!

Thanks again, bye for now.
HF
Just a quickie to add that, whilst my fully comp insurance for this year was just under £200, to add son (just spoke to insurance company) on a provisional licence will cost a whopping £2940. I can change to another company and pay £1330. Excess, as advised here, will go up from £100 to £400. I can go back to TPFT for £890, including my son. These figures are as of today's date so may well change by December, but for heaven's sake! - I can well see why young drivers today choose to drive uninsured and risk the paltry fine that such drivers get when caught. Having said that, there is no way I will let son drive without insurance.
HF
Advice re young person learning to drive - Altea Ego
"I never knew RF had so many aliases though."

A man of many parts that RF

Mostly spare parts.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Well I've vowed to myself not to say anything that could be deletable in any shape or form.

Anything going spare, though - we have a good home to offer to spare bits, as long as they are not tyres.

HF
Advice re young person learning to drive - David Horn
Just want to add that my sister is learning to drive at the moment - I've volunteered my car on the condition that my parents pay for the next service, which is a big one. So far she's only scratched it once (the hedges around here are really unforgiving...)

We were experimenting with Admiral's multi-car quote thing this evening, and with 4 cars in the family it reduced the costs by over a grand altogether, and we're going to take a policy out in the next few weeks.
Advice re young person learning to drive - Adam {P}
David,

We're considering that Admiral thing too. I don't suppose you know if you're allowed to drive the other 3 cars in your family do you?
Advice re young person learning to drive - David Horn
You have to be specifically added to their policies as a named driver. However, as an occasional driver I can't see it adding all that much.

The best thing is that each driver builds up their own NCD under the group policy, which is great. It quoted me 545 pounds for my car, when I'm looking at 800+ for even a named driver with CIS.
Advice re young person learning to drive - jdelmo
Hi,

I'm almost 17 and will be starting to drive in just under a month. I reckon thats about as up to date as one can get.

These days I am quite sure that professional tuition is a must. I am not sure where ou are from but a test centre near me has a pass rate of 37%.

I cannot quote the actual figures but I can tell you that the number of lessons that a learner needs can be halved if they have regular private practise to supplement lessons. Another thing that I have found, especially amongst my peers is that cramming lessons and then a test into a short ammount of time is far more effective than spreading lessons out. Unfortunately, I respect that this may not always be viable but the number of lessons is likely to be reduced (if only slightly) and almost certainly the number of tests as this does not allow for bad habits to develop.

On the subject of instructors, it seems that £20 is about average for a lesson, although slightly increased with more reputable companies such as the AA. However, I have seen cars advertising lessons for as little as £12 (in London). These are likely to be from not fully qualified instructors or maybe under the standard hour in length, but nevertheless these are people with experience.

For anyone looking to learn with a bit more class, I have quite regularly spotted a BMW 1 - Series learner car near me.

Finally, on insurance, Pass - Plus is a must, this can only be professionally taught (I understand) but gives the driver a substantially reduced insurance premium.

Good Luck.
Advice re young person learning to drive - Welliesorter
... a
test centre near me has a pass rate of 37%.

That's actually quite high compared to some, especially in urban areas. It was closer to 30 per cent at the test centre I used.

There's a list of pass rates (and a lot of other useful info) at www.2pass.co.uk .
If you are prepared to travel, then Kelso has the highest pass rate in the country.
I've not heard of Kelso, so am presuming it's a little far away from us.

But the pass rates quoted here are abysmal! If we're saying roughly 2 in three will fail, that really is not good.

I've been considering the intensive week-long residential courses, but worry that with these it really is just cramming with the sole purpose of passing a test, and with very little proper experience of roads and what driving's really about.

Oh and the Admiral multi thing is not good for me as I am only a one-car family.

Thanks to everyone - I'm glad I've got plenty of time to think about and investigate all alternatives.

HF