What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - markengland
We are looking to downsize our car (currently have a 53-plate Vectra 1.8 Club which I have hated from day one). The 2 replacements we have narrowed it down to are either a nearly new Getz or Suzuki Swift. We have looked at a Getz and the new shape Swift. I haven't had the chance to test drive the Swift yet but did drive the Getz which I thought drove fairly well. Other than the famous 5 year warranty that would come with the Getz (well the remainder of it anyway), can anyone offer any advice on which one to go for? I must admit we both prefer the Swift, in particular the build quality, styling and interior room, but since the new model has not been out as long, there aren't too many of them about. P.S. Let me know if anyone is interested in my Vectra...!!! :)
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - d_j_burton
my mate's dad manages a suzuki place up north somewhere, highly rates the new swift for reliability

I'd go fo rthe swift every time. thinking of the new "gti" swift in June - not sure of the exact name.
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - Stuartli
The new Swift has been described as "a hoot" - my own concerns would probably be related to checking out overall build quality and interior furnishing standards.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
At the risk of sounding dense(!), is a hoot a good thing or bad?
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - d_j_burton
a hoot is a good thing! a hoot, blast, good time etc etc
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - Aprilia
I went throught exactly this with a relative of mine.

She is a bit 'timid' about cars and car dealerships, so asked me to go around a few dealers with her. We looked at (and test-drove) Getz, Swift, Micra and Mitsubishi Colt.

We both ended up liking the Swift best. It is much more 'planted' on the road than the Getz and is just as comfortable even though it has a slightly firmer and 'sportier' suspension set up. The dash layout we both thought was much better than any of the other cars we tried. We also both thought that the gearshift was very good on the Swift and it has a usefully high (for a small car - the 1.5vvt) top gear ratio of 24mph/1000rpm which should make for good high-speed cruising.
I got a mate of mine (who is a local 'independant' repairer) to have a word with the service manager of the local Suzuki dealer about common problems. It seems that so far they are proving very reliable - the only thing he has had to do is replace some front disks for premature scoring.

The Micra came in second.

The Getz is tempting because of the 5-year warranty, but it does feel an old and slightly more 'drab' design and I don't think the quality is quite up to the Japanese vehicles. I also know that Hyundai parts are very expensive (although it has a five-year warranty they will still get you on 'wear and tear' items).

The problem with the Swift is that it appears to be in strong demand and a couple of dealers we spoke to even had short waiting lists - so they wouldn't talk about discounts. After making numerous phone calls I eventually spoke to a sales manager who would (discreetly) discount by a sensible amount - if you want the details then post your e-mail and I will send you the name/number of the guy to speak to.
Thanks Aprilia, your comments are very helpful. My email is home"at"markandyvette.wanadoo.co.uk and I would be grateful for the info mentioned :)
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - Vansboy
Swift, I'd say (& I'm a fan of the Pacific Rim manufacterers, for value & quality)

It's a NEW, new car, tiny discounts & good demand - so ought to be a more saleable proposition, when the time comes, too.

VB
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - DavidHM
I've driven the Getz but not the Suzuki. On that basis, the Suzuki has it by a mile: the Getz feels asthmatic, cheap and old.

Kia Rio is very, very good though not quite as cheap as it was a couple of months ago.
I've driven the Getz but not the Suzuki. On that
basis, the Suzuki has it by a mile: the Getz feels
asthmatic, cheap and old.
Kia Rio is very, very good though not quite as cheap
as it was a couple of months ago.

The Rio and Getz are actually quite closely related. The Rio is no bargain now though.
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - jase1
>> I've driven the Getz but not the Suzuki. On
that
>> basis, the Suzuki has it by a mile: the Getz
feels
>> asthmatic, cheap and old.
>>
>> Kia Rio is very, very good though not quite as
cheap
>> as it was a couple of months ago.
>>
The Rio and Getz are actually quite closely related. The
Rio is no bargain now though.

But isn't the Rio just a modified version of the forthcoming new-model Hyundai Accent rather than the Getz?

Although I suppose the Getz itself shares most of its guts with the Accent anyway (engine, gearbox, electrics, brakes, suspension).

I wish people would stop saying the Rio is a good car. I want the depreciation to be a disaster so I can pick one up for 3 grand in a couple of years!
But isn't the Rio just a modified version of the forthcoming
new-model Hyundai Accent rather than the Getz?
Although I suppose the Getz itself shares most of its guts
with the Accent anyway (engine, gearbox, electrics, brakes, suspension).
I wish people would stop saying the Rio is a good
car. I want the depreciation to be a disaster so I
can pick one up for 3 grand in a couple of
years!

The Rio and Getz 'appear' to share many components on inspection (i.e. the 1.4 engine/transaxle, suspension design, brakes) - that's my impression from looking at them anyway. The trim and bodyshell are obviously different.
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - NowWheels
Thanks Aprilia, your comments are very helpful. My email is [address deleted]
and I would be grateful for the info mentioned :)

Mark, just a tip: it's better not to include your email address in full like that on a public forum, or it'll be picked up by the spam bots nd you'll be flooded with offers of V1agaaara, dodgy shares and letters from Nigerian generals asking you to handle their dodgy millions.

Best to write it as something myname at something dot somewhere dot com -- most of the email harvesting software isn't smart enough to pick up that sort of thing. Maybe the mods will be kind enough to edit that post for you before you get added to the spam lists.
Thanks for that NowWheels! I have heard from Aprilia now and so my address can be deleted. Thanks for the advice though.

{I've changed the @ to "at" - DD}
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - dylan
I got a mate of mine (who is a local 'independant'
repairer) to have a word with the service manager of the
local Suzuki dealer about common problems.

Aprilia, did you find out anything about dealer servicing costs for the Swift during your investigation?
No I didn't. In fact I didn't even find out the service interval, come to think of it.
The car will be serviced at a VAT-registered independent using genuine parts (i.e. I will be doing it at my mates garage - so service cost is not a big issue). They have chain-driven cams so no cambelt bill.

From the little I have seen of Suzuki servicing the parts appear sensibly priced (i.e. rather cheaper than Hyundai/Kia and Toyota). I imagine dealer rates are dependent on where in the country you are.
The engine used in the Swift is a carry-over from the Ignis (with VVT unit fitted to the 1.5l engine) so it is well proven and by all accounts reliable.
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - ajit
I have a Swift and my mother has a Getz

Getz - soft suspension, roomy,understeers, nice gear shift
Swift - not as roomy, goes hard, responsive but slightly dead steering, immensely stable
I asked the Suzuki dealer about servicing. The sales manager advised that the service is every 9K miles or each year, whichever is soonest (will be a year in my case). The 1st service is around £160, the 2nd was £190 and I think she said the 3rd service was just over £200 (she called that one the 'biggy'). This was at Johnston?s Suzuki in Leigh on Sea, Essex. Hope this helps. From everyone?s comments here, I am seriously tempted with the Swift. Just need to move the Vectra on and find a 55-reg GLX 5-door in red, so at least I'm not being too specific......:)
The 1st
service is around £160, the 2nd was £190 and I think
she said the 3rd service was just over £200 (she called
that one the 'biggy'). This was at Johnston?s Suzuki in Leigh
on Sea, Essex. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. That's not too bad I guess compared to most, but it seems pretty dear compared to my Yaris. My minor services (10k) are £90, majors £150-£200 (20k, incl. courtesy car). That's at a big glass/chrome main dealer in Berkshire, so not the cheapest part of the Toyota network, I imagine.

Seems strange that Toyota have this reputation for expensive parts (well deserved, I'm sure), but the servicing seems to be (relatively) reasonable.

BTW Those interested in the swift vs getz might also be interested in the new Yaris (assuming a huge discount off the ridiculous list prices). I got a 1.3 T3 as my courtesy car on my last service. Overall impressions were good. Interior is improved, ride quality is better, audio controls are better (though the sound quality is still not great). Feels very solid. Not a huge leap forward over the old Yaris, but a nice evolutionary improvement.
Have looked at the Yaris before but its too small inside. Being 6'3 I have my seat right back and my seat back was touching the back seat. I didn't get that problem in the Swift or Getz. I felt the Swift was the roomiest inside compared to the Getz.
BTW Those interested in the swift vs getz might also be
interested in the new Yaris (assuming a huge discount off the
ridiculous list prices). I got a 1.3 T3 as my courtesy
car on my last service. Overall impressions were good. Interior is
improved, ride quality is better, audio controls are better (though the
sound quality is still not great). Feels very solid. Not a
huge leap forward over the old Yaris, but a nice evolutionary
improvement.

Agree the latest Yaris is a very nice car - but it is a bit tight inside (its almost a 'class down' size-wise from the Swift). I also think its a bit overpriced.
Just need to move the
Vectra on and find a 55-reg GLX 5-door in red, so
at least I'm not being too specific......:)

That's the model that I was trying to source. I doubt you'll find one. Also the '55's ('demo mileage') are only about £1000 less than new list price. So if you can get a sensible discount you might only be paying £500 above 'ex-demo' price and you get a new reg. with probably 6 months more warranty......

As regards servicing costs these cars (Yaris, Micra, Swift) etc are basically just having fluids, filters and (occassionally) plugs changed. I can't imagine that the parts prices are much different between these brands - its probably more down to the local labour rate being charged by the dealer. For those of us lucky enough to be living north of 'the South East', servicing prices are generally a bit lower.....
Incidentally, the Swift and Micra are chain-drive cam engines; Yaris and Getz use a belt.
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - br1stol.
Free servicing for 3yrs or 27,000 offered by Bristol suzuki on any model registered by end march, not sure if its National

www.roadworthy.suzuki.co.uk/frameset.asp?page=/spe...p
Incidentally, the Swift and Micra are chain-drive cam engines; Yaris and
Getz use a belt.

My Yaris (1.3) is a chain. I believe all the Yaris engines are.
My Yaris (1.3) is a chain. I believe all the Yaris
engines are.

Yes, you are correct, pretty much all 2.0 and below Toyota engines are chain cam. My apologies.
What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - daveyK_UK
The Getz

whats good
* spacious
* best warranty
* v.reliable - absolute bullet proof (most componets as stated are taken form or modified version of the previous accent and generally have proven to with stand a good beating more than there euro counter-parts).
* low insurance
* new 1.4 unit i've heard has finally got rid of the piston slap which all hyundai engines seemed to suffer from. It certainly performs as good as alot of the other comparible 1.4 units.

whats bad
* face lift, v.few dealers willing to do good deals. no real import market, very little auction and car supermarket activity.

* parts - when they do go, they will be more expensive than anything japanese or european. jia/hyundai parts list is one of the most expensive.
dont expect to find many copy parts available.

* gear box - still not been sorted out with syncros - especially selecting reverse.

* paintwork - still poor quality compared to euro/jap cars. all hyundais suffer this. expect rust to start appearing after 3 years. make usre u get it done under the corrosion warranty before it run's out.

* engine. 1.1 is only useful for city. its powerless on the open road.

What car-new Suzuki Swift orHyundai Getz - tr7v8
Car Mechanics did a piece on spares prices the other month & even they were shocked on some of them, Accent brake discs were circa £ 110 each..... And a lot of factors don't cover them.
Car Mechanics did a piece on spares prices the other month
& even they were shocked on some of them, Accent brake
discs were circa £ 110 each..... And a lot of factors
don't cover them.

Well I don't know where they're getting their figures from.

I got the front brakes done on my Accent, using official Hyundai parts. Total cost for discs, pads and labour £175.

Now I have to say that I thought I was robbed that day, to be fair. I don't have the breakdown of the figures, but the discs can't have cost more than £60 each in my case, there's just no more leeway in there.

I've found pattern Accent discs for £35-40, in line with most other manufacturers. It has to be said as well that servicing on the car with main dealer averages £150, and cheap £25 Hankook/Kumho tyres last 35000 miles, which you have to bear in mind. I don't see that these cars are especially expensive to run, from personal experience.
* paintwork - still poor quality compared to euro/jap cars. all
hyundais suffer this. expect rust to start appearing after 3 years.
make usre u get it done under the corrosion warranty before
it run's out.

I defy anyone to show me an Accent less than ten years old with significant rust.

EVERY Accent I see around town (and there's a LOT of them in Darlington) is completely clean. The worst one I've seen had rust on the rear sills which appeared to have been caused by quite deep scratches in the paintwork.

I'll grant you though that the paintwork is a bit weak. I have a touch-up pen at the ready for that.

A friend of mine has a ten year old Lantra. Not a trace of rust on it (the sump rusted through but the chassis is pristine).