Modern Small Cars - P3t3r
I decided to treat myself to a nice new small car, but after looking at the rubbish out there, I have changed my mind. My current car is an 899cc Fiat Seicento, which I assumed was relatively rubbish, but I have found a lot of new cars to be worse. It seems to me that modern cars are filled with safety features which spoil the them.

My last drive was a Toyota Aygo (brand new, 1150 miles on the demonstrator), and I didn't agree with a lot of what most if not all of the reviews say. Visibility was terrible in my opinion, and the gearing was too tall. I think they gave it tall gearing to get a good 0-60 time (no need to change to 3rd gear), and get good fuel economy. On some roads the Aygo couldn't even match the speed that my Seicento could do. I found it very bouncy, it seemed to roll a lot in corners, and it felt REALLY unstable in corners too. I felt very unsafe cornering at speeds that I would do in my Seicento. When I got back into my 899cc Seicento it actually felt really fast :-o

The others I drove was a Panda (1.2), and Corsa (1.2 SXi+). Other cars didn't get a test drive because I couldn't get comfortable in them. The Panda was very slow, dull, boring, and the road noise sounded horrible (a deep drone). I didn't actually get to corner at speed in the Panda, so I can't really say anything about it's handling.

The Corsa did actually suprise me, it was a nice car. It wasn't nice enough for me to justify £7000+ though, and it all felt too big. The engine was great, fast, and economical. One thing I didn't like though was the lack of feedback, the steering wheel was completely dead. Grip was OK, but nothing special, and there was no way of telling whether you were driving too fast. I may have found my arms aching though because the steering wheel was so big that it either hit my knees/legs, or my arms were too high.

I'm going to stick with my car until either something nice comes out, or my one dies. My current car is actually a fun drive, is smaller out the outside, bigger on the inside than any of the current cars. The performance of my car doesn't seem too bad after driving some of the other cars either. Has anybody else found modern small cars to be boring?

I used to drive a KA occasionally, which I used to love, but I haven't test driven one for a few reasons, but the main one is the rust problems that they have had.
Modern Small Cars - Adam {P}
I could be wrong but I don't think the later Ka's rust. Despite being 6ft5, I can't deny they're great little cars to throw arount.
Modern Small Cars - MichaelR
Why not move up in the world and buy a proper sized car? ;)
Well, there are a number of reasons. Firstly the space on my parents driveway is very small. Small cars are very good though for getting through small gaps in traffic, and getting into/out of small parking spaces. Bigger cars also tend to be slower, and thirstier, which is a complete waste. Oh, it's also very handy when doing work on the car in the garage, it is a lot easier to work on when there is some space to spare.
Modern Small Cars - bell boy
i think them sissycento"s are cracking little cars even with the 899cc engine fitted, the only downside is there aint a lot between you and any accident,if you can live with that i would keep it too if i was you.
Modern Small Cars - Vansboy
One of the reasons the Corsa seemed OKish, I'd say, is 'cos it's nearing the end of production, so they'll have made it as good as it can be!Plus it's not supposed to be in the same sector as your Fiat, the Panda & Pug/Toyota/Cit.

Out of the city cars around, Picanto is favourite, amongst plenty of Broomers.

If you fancy something modern & good value, take a look at Suzuki Swift. Rather funky & MINI looking & tiny discounts, if you push the dealer.

VB

Bigger cars tend to be slower? Not sure where you got that from, they usually tend to come with larger engines meaning they are often considerably quicker than learner cars and shopping carts. Most small cars have 0-60 times higher than 10 seconds and sub 100mph top speeds...

A lot of people come up with all sorts of reasons why small cars are the best but to be quite honest aside from the space on the driveway issue and perhaps reversing parking on the street none of them really hold any water. I spend 80% of my time in town and can hand on heart say I have never had a situation in traffic whereby if I had a Fiesta I'd have been able to proceed yet in my Mondeo I wouldn't.

I have, however, had plenty of traffic-filled trips in complete comfort rather than sitting in a small box having paid a small fortune for it...
Modern Small Cars - Navara Van man
michael R, I agree also larger cars are sfer on the motorway
Bigger cars tend to be slower? Not sure where you got
that from, they usually tend to come with larger engines meaning
they are often considerably quicker than learner cars and shopping carts.
Most small cars have 0-60 times higher than 10 seconds and
sub 100mph top speeds...
A lot of people come up with all sorts of reasons
why small cars are the best but to be quite honest
aside from the space on the driveway issue and perhaps reversing
parking on the street none of them really hold any water.
I spend 80% of my time in town and can hand
on heart say I have never had a situation in traffic
whereby if I had a Fiesta I'd have been able to
proceed yet in my Mondeo I wouldn't.
I have, however, had plenty of traffic-filled trips in complete comfort
rather than sitting in a small box having paid a small
fortune for it...

Well, bigger cars need bigger engines to cope. With the same engines a bigger car would normally be slower than a smaller one. Small engines also tend to warm up quicker which I also consider to be a benefit.

The comfort in my car is more than good enough for me, I don't fill the steets the so many harmful gases with a smaller car, and save a fortune too.
The fact they need big engines is irrelevent, they have them, and thus are not slower. As for warming up I get hot air out of the vent within 30 seconds or so, quick enough for me.

Don't really give a stuff about 'harmful gases' and as for saving a fortune I think you'll be quiet dissapointed when you do the maths and discover the fuel cost difference between a 25mpg 'gas guzzler' and a 35mpg Fiesta around town is just 300 quid over 7000 miles - the sort of money you'd save by buying a larger car anyway.

Common opinion is that small cars are undoubtedly the best choice for city driving and that big cars are merely a hassle and very thirsty. People take this as gospel, but when you actually sit down and work it out the difference is very small.

Infact the only significantly greater cost I get as a result of running a larger car is tyre costs - they are more than double the price of those on small cars but then this is purely becuase I have 16" alloy wheels on my car, if I had steel wheels or whatever even tyre cost would be the same as an old Fiesta..
Modern Small Cars - Round The Bend
Pt, have you tried a (nearly)new MICRA? We had the use of one for a couple of weeks last year and I was very impressed.
_______

IanS
Modern Small Cars - Flying Red
I had a Cinquecento about 10 years ago. It was a lot of fun but was tedious on motorways.

I reckon small cars are much better now - you just haven't tried the right ones. Try the Suzuki Swift and Daihatsu Sirion then see what you think.

Ian, I take it you are talking about the current Micra. I haven't tried that one, I suppose I would look at them when I finally decide to replace my car. They don't really sound like my cup of tea reading the reviews. They look... well, pretty bad, performance, and fuel economy is OK, but nothing special, and I would probably prefer something sportier.

I have never found my car tedious on an m/way, and rarely drive on m/ways anyway. On one occasion I did about 300 miles in a day, I was still happy, and got almost 60mpg. My regular commute is along a NSL single carriadgeway road, my car can take all of the bends at 60mph, and can just about overtake when oppourtunities are available. It puts a smile on my face every day :-)

Most of the new cars seem to be getting wider, and I would like to stick with a truely small car!

Modern safety devices are good, but not if they spoil the drive. The safety doesn't really bother me, I'm willing to take the small chance. They will also be putting up the price of the car. When Seicentos were around they could be had really cheap.
Modern Small Cars - carl_a
Most of the new cars seem to be getting wider, and
I would like to stick with a truely small car!

Daihatsu Charade is the only modern narrow car I can think of, great cars, good acceleration and MPG but might not meet your sporting criteria.
Modern Small Cars - googolplex
They don't really sound like my cup of tea reading the
reviews.

I thought your original post suggested you disagreed with most if not all reviews. Sounds like a firm basis for going out and trying that Micra!

To me, you want a replacement of what you've already got. It's no good complaining about features in a new car if they're there to serve a good purpose - eg. safety features. Its like complaining about a 3 bedroom house because you wanted a two bedroom house.

If you like what you've got, stick with it or find a reconditioned newer version of the same.

Splodgeface
Modern Small Cars - JohnM{P}
"It seems to me that modern cars are filled with safety features which spoil the them."

I understand your point, but on the other hand, if you look at
www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.ph...1
and compare the Seicento with the Citroen C1 (Toyota Aygo)you'll see what difference those safety measures make...
Modern Small Cars - Shaz {p}
Some of these cars may only be viable as used cars: Seat Arosa / Vw Lupo, Smart car thingy.
some slightly larger cars:

New shape Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Pug 106. Citroen C2 (maybe even a C3).
Some of these cars may only be viable as used
cars: Seat Arosa / Vw Lupo, Smart car thingy.
some slightly larger cars:
New shape Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Pug 106. Citroen C2
(maybe even a C3).

Oh yeah, I did look at the Smart car, but it didn't fit me. To get in I kinda needed to lean over to avoid hitting the steering wheel with my knee. It was a real struggle, the boot was also 1cm too small for what I needed.

The boot on the C2 was too narrow for me too, it was actually narrower than it was on the C1! Fiesta... well, lets just say I can't stand them. My parents have a brand new Fiesta, and they are horrible, they even make me feel travel sick. I learned to drive in an older Fiesta, and that was OK.
Modern Small Cars - machika
I once drove a Seicento for a day, when it was given to me as a courtesy car. The pedals were far too close together and it was one of the worst rattle-traps I have ever driven. The Corsa I had the next day seemed wonderful by comparison.
Modern Small Cars - hjd
I got one of those as a courtesy car too - you don't live in NW Surrey by any chance do you?
Modern Small Cars - Editor
think I pushed the wrong button, meant to reply to original post. 1stly-I am no (current) expert, but am looking myself for a smallish, reliable pref sporty run around. Here's my 2d worth from exerience & contribs from on here.

Old stuff: Nout wrong with older micra. Been tooling around in a 1.3. Must be light because it goes fine & corners well. Bit tedious on MWay though. Later ones might/should be a belter, esp sport

Pug 205/106 etc. Nothing but praise for these. Diesels fab. 1.9 indecently responsive. Clarkson adored the 106 Gti.

Fiesta-still like these if older. Rather pug though.

old VWs-Golf/Polo right size, but hold their values. HJ loved his Jetta GTi to pieces. There was a cracking supercharged old shape polo too. Not driven.

older Audi A3 comes well resected. Not vast.

Newer stuff:

Seat/skoda for me. As bangs for your buck. Seeing as they are virtually VAGs.

BMW's take on the Mini too-but is quite wide.

Kaa-sorry can't get on with these. The thought of a front end bang worries me enormously, although it's prob all about perception. Fun to drive though.

HTH
I didn't get on with a Pug 206. I had to sit like a crab to use the controls. Couldn't get comfy, so it didn't get a test drive. However, the Pug 206 may be a nice car if you can get comfy.
old VWs-Golf/Polo right size, but hold their values. HJ loved his
Jetta GTi to pieces. There was a cracking supercharged old shape
polo too. Not driven.
older Audi A3 comes well resected. Not vast.
HTH

>>

Surely Golfs and A3s are in a different class to a Seicento?
No, I live in Derbyshire.
Modern Small Cars - turbo11
My wifes polo is a great car.Very comfy(drove it down to the south of france the other year.No aches or pains after 600 mile drive.Economical(av.45mpg),reliable and cheap to service.