Testing anti freeze - cheddar
My car was services three months ago and the check list showed that the coolant was safe down to -22 deg C, I understand that the specific gravity of the coolant is measured. Are there any easy home kits/tricks that would enable me to test my wife's car and my motorcycle in the same way?

Thanks.
Testing anti freeze - Xileno {P}
Car shops like Halfords do anti-freeze testers. Usually only a few pounds. Or you could syphon a bit out into a plastic bottle and put it in the freezer for a few hours - see if it freezes or not.
Testing anti freeze - nick
Don't forget that the anti-corrosion additives get used up in a couple of years, so although it will not freeze, the coolant is no longer protecting against internal corrosion. If you're going to keep the car for a long while, change the coolant every 2 years.
Testing anti freeze - Dynamic Dave
Don't forget that the anti-corrosion additives get used up in a couple of years,
change the coolant every 2 years.

Unless of course it's the long life stuff.
Testing anti freeze - Ruperts Trooper
I got an anti-freeze tester from my Ford dealer about 30 years ago, it still works well. It's just like an "eye-dropper" so you just suck up some anti-freeze out of the expansion tank, count how many balls are floating and then read off the anti-freeze strength. It could have only cost a few pence.

I always keep my anti-freeze at 50%. I don't need protection that low but if I ever need to top it up I can use plain water and be sure it's still ok. I never need to top-up nowadays.

Most manufacturers now fit long-life (5-year) anti-freeze rather than the 2-year stuff that's been around for "ever".
Testing anti freeze - sierraman
I have one of those(eyedropper),it came with another similar device for checking battery SG.Can't recall where I got them.
Testing anti freeze - henry k
Car shops like Halfords do anti-freeze testers. Usually only a few pounds.

>>
IIRC these only work on the traditional anti freeze mixtures and NOT on the long life, 5/10 year types.
Testing anti freeze - cheddar
I have bought a dropper type, £1.99 from Halfords, I now need to determine what type of antifreeze is in each vehicle.

Thanks for the replies.
Testing anti freeze - SP
How well do theses testers work with the 'long life' type stuff as opposed to the traditional glycol based anti freeze ???