All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - Adam {P}
There's something about this which is making it really difficult for me to be cynical.

I don't think it's anything to do with someone buying an old Fiesta and driving their Porsche on the third party extension. After all, there are limitations of use aren't there?

I mean - look at it this way. My Dad would have to insure himself on his car then name Mum on his car. Mum would have to insure herself on her car, then name Dad. Then of course I will have to insure myself on mine, name Dad and Mum (not forgetting where my sister comes into it all).

It's rare - in fact, since Mum got her car it's only happened once, that one parent will drive the other's car yet the insurance company are getting more money for the policy just on the offchance that one parent would need to drive the other car.

I'm willing to bet that thousands upon thousands of people are going to either not bother, or be so confused they'll be driving around unknowingly uninsured.

After all, what the hell do the insurance companies care about safety? They're losing out on money from people using the DOC clause to drive other cars aren't they?

Thoughts please.
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - cjehuk
Swings and roundabouts. Having dad as a named driver on my car DROPS the premium about £200 per year. Without him on the policy I get quoted £1000, with him on it's under £800. Having me on his policy adds about £140 to the annual price. Quite a bit when his policy is £300 without, but overall we come out ahead as we can both drive each others cars.
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - smokie
Direct Line was cheaper if I had Mrs S on the policy that if I didn't. Something to do with "stable relationship"...oh how little they know! :-)
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - PhilW
""stable relationship"...oh how little they know! :-)"
Nothing to do with "an old nag" I take it smokie??
Same with my insurance with Direct Line - cheaper with missus on as named driver - also for my kids - they have put me as named driver and it makes it cheaper.
Phil
They must realise that Mum and Dad are crazy then as it adds a couple of hundred on mine! (I tried everything to lower the premium).

There'll be ways around it. The insurance company that decides to keep the DOC policy when others have scrapped it will make a fortune.
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - deepwith
Canadian friends were absolutely astounded that they could not drive my car as in Ontario if a car is insured then ANY adult with a full licence can drive the car. Admittedly it is more difficult to get a full licence but this does seem sensible as does the fact your number plate indicates you have insurance.
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - SlidingPillar
I'll admit I have not checked for a bit, but my main policy used to cover not only cover me as normal DOC, but also moving a vehicle causing an obstucion. Ownership or permission of the vehicle owner was not a factor, but obvioiusly this was only movement that any reasonable person would say "to a place of safety" (so not the chip shop).

One of my other policies has DOC and the other never has - but it is a classic policy, covering a highly modified car, at an incredibly low price so from that point of view, I'm not bothered.

Main policy renewal is due on my doormat any day, so we'll see if it has gone.

Norwich Union have dropped it for sure but I don't know about the rest.

Come next June, I'll be looking at other insurance companies - even if I have to pay more.
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - Welliesorter
Norwich Union have dropped it for sure but I don't know
about the rest.

More on this at

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/4344926.stm

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/4343650.stm

It says the clause is abused, enabling drivers to buy cover for a small car and then use high performance vehicles belonging to friends and family that they would not normally be able to get insurance for.

That infuriates me. Surely that says more about how ridiculously high premiums are?

Looks like Direct Line will be my insurers next year then. And I suspect, a good deal of other people's too.
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - cub leader
This will of course depend on your parents insurance history. Mine is cheaper with one parent who has not claimed but more expensive with the one who has claimed. But generally a more experienced driver on the insurance should help. I only drive my dads car now that i am old enough to be covered on his company car insurance and if i ever need to drive mums is a lot easier and cheaper to add me for a week here and there.
--
Im a student ive got time!!!
All this Insurance Fully Comp Business - henry k
Direct Line was cheaper if I had Mrs S on the policy that if I didn't.
Something to do with "stable relationship"...

>>
It must be something like that cos my wife on the policy also lowers the premium.
The fact is she has had a licence for many years but has to all intents not driven since passing the test.
She has no intention of driving but no questions are asked about her re driving so I do not have any problems with a lower premium.