What To Watch Out For? - lubbin
I'm going to view two cars privately this week.

Being an ignorant girl I am wary of being taken for a mug.

What are the tell-tale signs of dodginess, the give-aways for neglect and misuse?

What are the things I should watch out for, that are pretty easy to spot and don't need a mechanic's eye to identify?

Being only a named driver I will be unable to testdrive these vehicles. What is my best course of action?

Thank you
What To Watch Out For? - Alfafan {P}
Take a look at "How to Buy & Sell Cars" up on the left hand side of the screen.
What To Watch Out For? - David Horn
When I sold my car I paid a bit of money to have "any driver" added to the insurance. If you can't test drive it, don't buy. Alternatively, take along a friend who can!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/index.htm
What To Watch Out For? - BB
You can always go have a look at it yourself and then get an AA or RAC car check done on it afterwards if you like it.

I would agree with David saying that someone you can depend on needs to drive it. Never buy a car without driving it as it could drive like a dog.

Basic things to look out for are:

1: Tyres- check that they have good tread.
2: Panel Gaps- Make sure that all the body panel gaps are nice and even. They shouldn't be tapered and shouldn't be too big.
3: Check everything works. If it has electric windows / seats mirrors try them out.
4: Check oil level and look for mayo type goo under oil filler cap. Mayo goo can mean head gasket failure, but can also mean that it is used for short journeys.
5: Check documentation (service history etc)

I am sure there are thousands of other things that people check, but if they all seem ok, then get a proper AA/RAC inspection. They only cost £100 or so, but it could be the best £100 you spend, especially seeing as you are not mechanically minded.

:)
Thanks for all your advice. Checked out 'How to buy and sell cars', it's great but either I'm a lot less intelligent than I thought or there are some things that you need a bit of car knowledge to understand:

'hydraulic tappets'

'If you can get it to slip'

'a bit of diff lash may be terminal, or the diff may soldier on for years'

'If retardation is slow'

'the rear brake compensator may be u/s'

Am I being over cautious here? Neither of these cars are older than 3 years and are both still under warranty, so I assume that there isn't that much that can really be wrong?
P.S. If anyone knows of a reliable fella or garage that would be willing to accompany me to see these cars in the Darlington area, I'd be extremely grateful. Will mechanics do this? RAC charges up to £200 for an inspection, and I've shot myself in the foot by dumping my very mechanically-minded boyfriend...

:(
What To Watch Out For? - stokie
>Neither of these cars are older than 3 years and are both >still under warranty, so I assume that there isn't that much >that can really be wrong?

Ask how long they've owned it. Too short a time and it's likely there's some expensive fault that's caused them to lose faith in the car.

Ask if they know of any faults. If they mention one or two small ones (e.g. a scratch) then ask about any major ones.

Get the seller to start the engine then sit in the drivers seat. Are any of the dashboard lights still on? If the engine management light is on (looks like a side view of a water tap) that's bad news as will need a main dealer to determine the problem.

Shine a torch under the engine. Any shiny wet areas are suspicious, 3 year old cars shouldn't leak.
What To Watch Out For? - Blue {P}
Don't forget it is ESSENTIAL that you get an HPi check done on the car, this will tell you if it has been stolen, written off, or has any finance owing on it.

My mate regreted not having one done when his inusrance company refused to pay out after his car was stolen, apparently it still had finance owing on it from the last owner.

A BIG wanring that we didn't pick up on when buying it (we were only 17) was that the guy selling it, wasn't the guy named on the logbook, and he was selling it from a different address to that on the logbook. When I think back, we should so definately have walked away...

Blue
What To Watch Out For? - Stargazer {P}
Blue,

This has happened to me from a main dealer....its not just the backstreet boys! I didnt bother with HPI checks since it was a dealer and it very nearly cost me when the car was stolen. Dealer ended up rather worse I understand.

StarGazer
What To Watch Out For? - Blue {P}
That's really suprising, each dealer I have worked at has HPi'd every car, even the £1 scrappers, the admin department won't take a car into stock if there isn't a certificate attached to the logbook. Obviously a very slack dealer that you came across!

My mate bought his car privately through the Autotrader, so he didn't even have a backstreet garage to fall back on.

The best he was able to do to get his own back was when the Police came knocking one day to say that they had a report of his car been spotted driven untaxed and they wanted to take the matter up with him, he was delighted to point out that the date it was spotted was before he got it. I'm sure he was only too happy to provide details of the person who he had bought it off, name, address etc.

Blue
What To Watch Out For? - blue_haddock
Yep we pay a flat fee for the year so we can HPi every car that comes in, we also HPi cars that we think may be imports too as this shows up on the check.
What To Watch Out For? - Vansboy
RULE 1

Take a GOOD look at the seller, his home, appearence & manner - rough cars & rough people go together - as Quinten Wilson says!!

The rest is easy (not)

VB
What To Watch Out For? - Happy Blue!
Don't fall in love!!!

Sorry, bad joke when you have dumped your boyfriend, but seriously, look at each car objectively. Don't prefer one car over another because of the colour, or the colour of the owner's eyes for that matter until and only until you are satisfied that the car is sound.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
What To Watch Out For? - BobbyG
Without being a spoilsport, until you can get someone who really does know cars, then you shouldn't bother looking. I feel I know cars quite well but I would be very reluctant to buy privately cos of all the pitfalls. Also, if I was unsure what to look for, I am certain a potential seller would see it written across my forehead!

Its times like this that sometimes it is better to go to a main dealer, pay the extra money but get some "peace of mind" in return.

Alternatively, there have been various links to a guy who goes to auctions for you and gets a car that suits you. Can't remember his name or location, but might be ideal for what you are looking for? Have only ever heard positive feedback as well.

Good luck.
What To Watch Out For? - johnny
My local garage will inspect and do a short written report for about £45 - only problem is you have to get the car to them. Can be useful as a bargaining tool.
What To Watch Out For? - David Horn
When I sold my last car, the buyer asked me to meet him at a reputable garage. The mechanic drove the car, took it for a blast up the road with me in the back seat, and stuck it on a ramp to take a peek underneath.

Guy bought it on the spot, and the transaction was conducted in the safety of the garage office.
What To Watch Out For? - Stargazer {P}
Blue, Blue Haddock

The Insurance Co took the dealer to court and won....one individual at the company was believed to be selling a car to a friend using a finance deal, then using the excuse that it wasnt large enough the friend then part exchanged it a month later for a larger car. The part ex was then sold to me. I didnt HPI check the car which was stolen almost a year later....big mistake as whether deliberately or in error the original finance wasnt being paid off. On probing this started to look very suspicious (it wasnt the first time we suspected) so the Insurance Co paid up to me and took the dealer to court to recover costs. (NB V5 was correct in showing previous owner so it was fairly easy to track down)

I am sure there is much more to this...but it wasnt a very pleasant experience. I am sure that some standard procedures were being bypassed in this case. But now I would still do a private HPI check on any car even just to confirm a printout I have been shown by a salesman.

StarGazer
Thanks for all your advice - you are a clever lot aren't you!

That's a brilliant idea David Horn, think I might do that. Suppose if they were kosher and had nothing to hide they wouldn't squirm at the suggestion. Have been in touch with some local garages, and one has agreed to accompany me to see the cars, for about £25.

Know what you mean about don't fall in love; I have a thing about black cars, but think I have my head on my shoulders. When it's your first car, bought with your savings, you want it to tick every box. They're both Puntos, and after a lot of research came to the conclusion that the Punto is pretty good.

Thinking it's a bad omen though that my best mate crashed hers yesterday - was from an auction, pulled over to the left and engine was loose. My dad had to stick in back on with one of those elastic things with hooks on the end. The name escapes me.

Have to make a decision but feel as though I'm jumping off the edge of a cliff, and really don't want to be ripped off.