BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - rickyt

I recently aquired a 520iSE, 97, average mileage, full leather and very well looked after. BMW servive history. It looks the part with 18" M series wheels and low profiles, but it just disappoints me all the time. Rattles in the doors which i can't get to, and on a bumpy surfaces it's a complete nightmare. My previous car was an a low specification Omega, but it just felt a better car. I am completely disillusioned.

Is it just mine? I would welcome some feedback
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - Altea Ego
18" M series wheels and low profiles

There is your problem.
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - Bill Payer
Just be thankful it's not a Sport version - they shake your fillings out. The ride is the price you pay for good looking wheels & tyres. Maybe you could change the wheels for 16" when the tyres wear out - those tyres will probably be expensive. You might be able to flog the bigger wheels on eBay.

Omega's can be very nice - my FIL did 140K miles in one and it was still a nice drive when he sold it.
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - storme
wheels and tyres are causing it...defo :)

\"dont shoot the messenger\"
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - livefortheday
I loved my 330, but sold it purely because the ride was so poor.

I would recommend anyone buying a BMW tests the car with the suspension set-up they are buying before purchase to save disappointment.
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - MichaelR
BMW's are best experienced in SE specification. The ride quality is hard enough to ensure adaquete performance, yet soft enough not to shake your fillings out.
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - Dude - {P}
It seems a rediculous trend amongst the younger generation to fit the largest wheel size possible along with the lowest profile tyres and then question why the ride is extremely hard.

As Michael Rodgers has already mentioned and as also recommended by H.J., BMW`s handle and ride at their best on standard 16" wheels and normal profiles, as fitted in SE spec and to deviate from this is most certainly not advisable.
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - VTiredeyes
1 year 4 months ago i had a bmw 320dsport tourer.
had to sell after 4weeks, as i couldnt afford the dentist bills
(TIC)
ie: shaking my filings (or fillings?) out.

that had 18"wheels and 35profile tyres. not good :-(
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - oldgit
Why, or why do people insist on filling their wheel arches with Alumininum alloy rather than a sensible mix or ratio of pneumatic rubber to alloy wheel. I can't imagine how much the ride and comfort of some cars must be compromised by those ridiculously low profile tyres where there seems to be only about one inch or so of rubber visible.

Daft as brushes, I say.
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - Pugugly {P}
Trust me - lose the wheels.
BMW - 5 Series Is is just mine! - MichaelR
Our 530d has the standard alloys and the ride quality is just right. We had a loaner 320Ci Sport last week with the 18's on it and the ride was absolutely terrible...