Toyota Corolla - Low Idle Speed - Frankoids
Hi

Purchased a new Corolla in August. T3 1.6litre has done about 1,600 miles.

Ever since I bought it the idle speed seems to be rather low normally about 700, but ocassionally dropping to 600 with accompanying slight vibration. Pick-up is fine and the revs adjust normally for the automatic choke and when the air-con is switched on.

I took it back to the dealership and they plugged it into the diagnostics computer and they said everything is O.K. and that Corollas tend to run with a low idle. Seemed strange to mention this afterwards or is that me being cynical.

I'm very happy with the Corolla, but just has the above minor irritation. Is this anything to be concerned about and do any other Corolla owners have the same experience?
Toyota Corolla - Low Idle Speed - dylan
This thread suggests it's normal:

toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11...e

Toyota Corolla - Low Idle Speed - Frankoids
Many thanks for your quick response and also for showing me an undiscovered website.
Toyota Corolla - Low Idle Speed - jimmyeast

Okay so I'm about 8yrs too late for this thread but for anyone who has the problem now, my 2003 T3 had the exact same issue and went to Toyota but came back with no faults. Decided to visit a decent, well known to me back street garage who first ran a diagnostic, which came back clean, so then after manually checking the throttle body and idle control valve/butterfly found these to be dirty. After cleaning with carb cleaner (using rag to get rid of diposits) the car runs like new with a constant 900rpm when warm.

Toyota Corolla - Low Idle Speed - galileo

After cleaning with carb cleaner (using rag to get rid of diposits) the car runs like new with a constant 900rpm when warm.

Both my new Corollas (2002 and 2005) consistently had a smooth tickover at 650/700 rpm when warm. My current Hyundai i30 and wife's Yaris also seem set to 700 rpm tickover once warmed up.

900 rpm seems a bit high, wouldn't think cleaning alone would make this difference?

Toyota Corolla - Low Idle Speed - jimmyeast

Prob closer to 800rpm now, many sites show cleaning makes a difference but i agree it seems to good to be true. Can't think of another way in which the mechanic would have rectified the issue as manually changing the idle will just be over overridden by ecu. My 03 corolla was at 600rpm before and this did cause alot of vibration in the cabin, must have been right on the cusp as you say 650+ is smooth. Dont imagine 800rpm does any harm although when the engine is cold (as it sure is now!) it does seem high with initial 2000rpm for a sec or two after turning the ignition then sits at around 1600rpm slowly dropping the warmer it gets. Is this type of cold operation familiar with your vehicles or is that high also?

Toyota Corolla - Low Idle Speed - galileo

initial 2000rpm for a sec or two after turning the ignition then sits at around 1600rpm slowly dropping the warmer it gets. Is this type of cold operation familiar with your vehicles or is that high also?

2000 is high - usual warm-up is no more than 1200 initially, soon (within a minute or so) dropping to 1000, in my experience.