Noisy 406 HELP - boatkake
Hi, my 406 has developed a very annoying and at time noisy rattle.

traveling along at approx 70 mph, when i slowed to a halt cos of traffic i could hear an unusual rattle / tapping noise.

at first i thought it must be the cam, so had today off work to look at it.

i now think that its not the cam or hydralic tappets - the noise apppears to be coming from the drivers side of the engine, not sure if its coming from the cam belt area.

when i rev the engine the noise doesnt get louder so i guess its not the cam.

i notice that its wose on tickover but when we increase the revs to say a steady 1000 rpm the noise disappears.

also when getting into the car today I inadvertantly put my foot hard down onto the accelerator ( prob up to about 4000 rpm) and when the engine went back to tickover the noise had gone.

However after driving about 5 miles the rattle re- appeared.

I have checked the auxillary crankshaft pulley and it looks solid enough.

any thoughts, could it be the cam belt tensioners.
the noise is loud. however the drives a1

help

Noisy 406 HELP - MikeC
Cant supply any answers but I had the same thing on my 306 (HDi 90). Noticed loud ticking/tapping on starting up one evening. As you say it was coming from the rhs, around the top pulley wheel of the drive belt. The ticking appeared to be in sync with the rate the belt was turning. Also as you say it was only a specific rev range 800 (idle) to 1100rpm. It was very definately on/off at 1100rpm. Reducing the revs below idle didn't stop it.

This happened on a handful of journeys (cold and hot starts) but has not happened in the last 2000miles/2 months.

I am not sure if its related but about three weeks ago I found a bit of metal wrapped round the belt, I dismissed this as being picked up off the road but last night discovered this post... groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?action=Sho...3 the bit of metal shown here is identical to what I found so obviously my crankshaft pulley is on its last legs! Could the ticking have been this pulley starting to go?