AA Response - dagwood
Recently my son in laws car would not start [Seat Leon].When AA patrolman arrived he eventually started the car and proceeded to sit with his foot fully down on the throttle, his explanation being a fuel injected car should not be moved a few feet because it floods, [the car had been moved a few feet the day before] and you have to clear the injectors.
I found this response very strange and would have been none to happy if he had treated my car in this way.I always thought you should not over rev a cold engine, or is all that in the past?
Opinions please.
AA Response - No Do$h
Foot fully down? It would be bouncing off the rev limiter and making an almighty fuss. Are you sure it wasn't held at around 3000rpm or so? With no load on the engine that can sound like a car being revved to within an inch of it's plugs.
AA Response - dylan
I had this happen with my Yaris. Car was moved a few feet, and later would not start. After searching the internet for a few hours (!) I eventually found this flooding explanation. (My old '82 fiesta used to flood, but I'd never seen it in a 'modern' car).

Anyway, the Yaris manual explained the procedure for clearing the flood, which included pressing accelerator to floor while cranking. It took a lot of cranking - two or three sessions of around 15-30 seconds IIRC to get it to start, but it did start eventually. However, once it had started, I did NOT hold my foot on the accelerator. In other words, there was no high-revving involved at all. As I understand it, on modern cars the foot to the floor is nothing more than a signal to the ECU that you are clearing a flooding problem.

Once the car had started, it ran fine immediately, and subsequently started fine.
AA Response - Mapmaker
>>As I understand it, on modern cars the foot to the floor is nothing more than a signal to the ECU that you are clearing a flooding problem.

Interesting. Do others agree? (It would be very logical.)
AA Response - Dynamic Dave
>>As I understand it, on modern cars the foot to the
floor is nothing more than a signal to the ECU that
you are clearing a flooding problem.
Interesting. Do others agree? (It would be very logical.)

Quite a few people have previously mentioned it over in Technical matters.

AA Response - Civic8
Not so much a case of clear injectors..Plugs get soaked in petrol. Idea. as HJ said use full throttle untill it fires then half throttle once fired up. I doubt it was full throttle as ND said. It isnt a good idea to start engine just for moving a few feet then stop engine. If you need to do this.. keep engine running for a while afterwards.I have never had a prob in that respect.
--
Was mech1
AA Response - BrianW
Alternatively, get a diesel.
AA Response - MarkSmith
A friend had a prospective new car inspected by said automobile assosciation. The engineer held the throttle wide open, from under the bonnet (so he couldn't see the rev counter) for several seconds. Engine (cold) was screaming.

When asked why, engineer said it was to test the rev limiter.

My friend asked exactly how this tested it. What would the symptom be if the limiter wasn't working? Or if it was? Does he have perfect pitch and was able to tell the limit speed by ear? Or was he simply a monkey? We'll never know but I know what I think...

-Mark
AA Response - dagwood
Thanks for all your replies, as usual i am highly impressed with all your knowledge.Modern cars are to complicated for old and decrepit me, in fact i am thinking of going bact to the five hundred pound car and run it into the ground.
So, what about the reving when oil is cold?