A6 2.5 tdi oil level query - lloydy
My dad has an A6 2.5 tdi (late 2001 with approx 35k miles) and every time he checks the oil level it is over the max mark on the dipstick. He took it back to his dealer who drained some of the oil down until it was at the correct level. The next day it was over the max mark again. Rang the dealer (main Audi) who said they could not understand it. This time they drained the oil and re-filled with the correct volume less half a pint. The next day he checked it and it was over the max mark again. It has got the dealer very puzzled. I wondered if the car might be over fuelling and the increase is unburnt diesel mixing with the oil. It is not water as the oil is clean and not emulsified. He has tried checking the level when cold after it has been standing overnight and when warm (5-10 mins after switching off. Anyone any ideas. Thanks in advance
A6 2.5 tdi oil level query - Sooty Tailpipes
The goose that lays the golden egg?

Are you checking it at running temp but after letting it drain down for a few mins, or when cold? Nowadays the former seems favoured, and so the latter would give a high reading, what does the handbook say?
We have checked it when the engine is hot after say 5 minutes, left it for between 10-20 minutes and checked it stone cold all with the same result. Not sure what the handbook says. Just tried to ring my dad but he is out (probably checking the oil level, lol). I think the main dealer thought he was a bit senile to start with but they soon changed their mind when the service manager could not provide an answer. I will find out what the hand book says and let you know.

Paul
A6 2.5 tdi oil level query - Ivor E Tower
So what happens if you don't drain any oil out - does the level continue to increase or does it level out (no pun intended)? - and for how long has it been doing this?
Good question. It seems to have levelled out albeit above the max mark. This despite the garage having lowered the level twice. That in itself seems to be the wrong approach to me. Surely they need to identify why it is increasing. I have suggested they analyse the oil to see if there is contamination.

He has owned the car for about 3 months. It was bought from a main dealer and obviously serviced before he bought it. The handbook says to check the level a few minutes after stopping the engine. Within 5 minutes it is over the max mark.

Good news is it is going back to the dealer tomorrow so I will let you guys know what the outcome is. Thanks anyway

Paul
A6 2.5 tdi oil level query - neb
when you pull the dipstick out, make sure you don't hold it up-side-down, thus allowing oil to run down (up) the dip stick, over the max mark. Seen it happen a thousand times! Just a thought.
Good point Neb but I always keep the dipstick horizontal once it has been taken out. My dad does the same. Afterall he showed me how to do it when i was a nipper. Even more important with thinner synthetics as they tend to flow more freely.