Rover p6 V8 Engine troubles - owenP
I have a 1971 Rover P6 3500 auto, which has had some engine troubles lately. It started to run fine from cold, and when you stopped at a junction or set of lights didn't stall. As soon as the engine had warmed up and you stopped - it stalled even with the choke out.

It then started to use a lot of water and when the engine stopped there was a lot of pressure under the radiator cap - and steam escaping from the breather hose. However there didn't appear to be any mayonnaise in the oil or oil in the water.

I suspected the head gasket and have taken the head off, though I can't see any obvious signs of the head gasket having blown.

Does it sound like just the head gasket - or could there be another problem such as the head going porous in certain places - or a crack in the head?
Rover p6 V8 Engine troubles - Sooty Tailpipes
Do any of the spark plugs look cleaner?
Sounds like coolant to combustion chamber leak cause most likely by head gasket failure, or crack.
Rover p6 V8 Engine troubles - owenP
Thanks. That's what I suspected. I will have a close look at the plugs when I get home tonight.
Rover p6 V8 Engine troubles - tr7v8
Take the rad cap off whilst its cold and start it up. Keep an eye on the water level and I'll bet you have a steady stream of bubbles which gets worse when you rev it. If it is then it's a weeping headgasket. From my experience of RV8s they rarely get oil/water mixed. Heads may need skimming but be careful as if its original it runs 10.5:1 Comp ration and was marginal on 5 star let alone modern unleaded and skimming the heads will increas this problem and make it worse. Better idea is to pick up a pair of s/h heads off of any other RV8 with the standard size plugs 1976 on from say an SD1 or a Range rover get these reconned and use those then you can get away with super unleaded. Be careful fitting the valley gasket as it will leak oil if carelessly put on. Also run exhaust manifold gaskets as the original P6 didn't.

Jim