Another V6 Omega Oil Leak Question - Taters
My 2.5 V6 Omega has an oil leak from the passenger side head that is dripping down onto manifold .It would seem to be coming from the rear of the head somewhere around the DIS unit but I can't see exactly where.The leak also seems to come an go!

I have replaced the camshaft cover gaskets, cleaned out the blocked plastic unit on top of manifold, I have checked the pipes to the oil cooler and it doesn't seem to be coming from there.

I am now thinking that it must be the head gasket that needs replacing although a compression test didnt show anything.

Any ideas?

Also since cleaning the plastic emmission unit on top of the manifold and replacing the gaskets the engine has a rough idle at tick over. I replaced all gaskets with new ones on the inlet manifold and there doesnt seem to be any air leaks. Could it be that now I have un-blocked the plastic unit that this is causing the problem?

Lastly if it is the head gasket any one know where I can buy or hire the camshft locking kit. I have found one for £150 but this seems a bit excessive.

Sorry for all the questions

Ian
Another V6 Omega Oil Leak Question - Sooty Tailpipes
I'm sure I have read about a pipe leak causing this...
Try searching on...

autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CateraOwners/messages
autos.grous.yahoo.com/group/omega_owners/

Try the catera one first, I have the diesel so dont pay much attention to V6s, but I'm sure there have been threads.
Another V6 Omega Oil Leak Question - geoff C
I believe Autovaux will hire you a locking kit.
www.autovaux.co.uk/
Another V6 Omega Oil Leak Question - Ian J
Its a bit of a long shot but did you use sealant in the cut outs at the back of the gaskets. The passenger side cover and gasket is ackward to replace as I am sure you know.
Yes I did use gasket on the cut outs and also on the front cam bearing cover. However I didn't use Vauxhall sealant but a known named make. Any suggestions on a suitable sealant?

Also what are the differences between the old cam covers and the new ones? I am toying with the idea of buying the new ones and replacing them before starting on the head gasket.

Lastly it seems that a build up in pressure might be to blame as the leak is not visible on tick over or a continuous leak.
Apart from the plastic unit on top of the manifold what else would be a good idea to check to make sure its not blocked?

Ian
Reference blocked pipes check the narrow bore pipes at the back of the plastic unit. In my case the one on the drivers side was quite badly blocked. I cleaned both sides although from memory the plastic unit was quite heavily gunged up along with the narrow bore pipes. I think they are breather pipes. You can remove and clean the one on the drivers side without removing any other bits - not sure about the passenger side since I did it when I had the inlet manifold removed.
Reference sealant I used the vauxhall one so cant comment on any other.
Ps I woud be interested to know what technique you used to extract and insert the bolts for the lower part of the inlet manifold holding the injectors - I found it very tricky to remove and reinsert them without dropping them into the engine. Re cam covers I thought that they related to cars year. Not sure if they are interchangeable. I assume that the integrated cam cover and gasket is intended to ease the job. Dont know if they are interchangeable but I am sure vauxhall would know.
Best of luck
Ian

Thanks, I will check the pipes. By narrow bore pipes I guess you mean the rubber hoses coming of the plastic unit on the inlet?

As for the bolts extraction and re-insertion, I blocked the intakes with clean rags to stop anything falling in the engine. Cause knowing my luck that what would have happened with the first bolt I removed. I then removed them with a telescopic magnet.

On looking at my Vauxhall part list CD it seems you have to buy the combined gasket and cover for earlier cars. I am guessing the newer covers have been changed somewhat to try and stop this oil leak problem.

Yes it is the the rubber hoses at the back of the plastic unit. The hoses on the outside are narrower diameter compared with the inner ones. As I said you can remove and clean the drivers side without removing anything else. I am not sure about the passenger side since I did this when the manifold was removed. The cam cover leak is quite common . I am not sure whether the oil leaks are linked to pressure build up due to blocked breather pipes.
Thanks for the information - where did you buy the telescopic magnet
Ian
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think it was Screwfix www.screwfix.co.uk