Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - akbar Hussain

Hi guys i'm new to the forum

On Tuesday i went to look at a used Mercedes B Class priced at £10,965.00

The salesman dealing with me told me that the actual price of the car is £10,665 and that the 6 month warranty had been priced in so £300 for the warranty.

He gave me the order form and let me go home to think about it.

On the order form the warranty is listed as a "retailer option"

When i got home i asked him for the terms and conditions of the warranty. I am not happy with the warranty offered and i know how difficult it can be to make a claim. Besides i am also aware that i am protected for 6 months under consumer law.

I emailed the dealer to advise that i do not wish to take the warranty option and have asked him to amend the order form accordingly. I also pointed to the fact that the order form lists the warranty as a separate option

He is now insisting that the warranty was thrown in for free and that the price remains the same at £10,965

Can you please advise whether i have to take out this warranty despite it being listed as a separate option. I do like the car as it is the only petrol one for sale in the entire country!

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - movilogo

If you are buying from a dealer or trade, the goods must be of merchandisable quality.

While we don't know age/mileage of the car, seller can't force you to take the warranty.

The question is, how much leverage you have. Are you able to walk away from the deal if they don't reduce the price by £300? If yes, then choice is easy - look for different car if they don't reduce the price.

Most after market warranties are not worth due to so many exclusions.

Thanks for the reply

I will also be paying £100 on my credit card to ensure that i also have further protection should any issues arise which would render this already worthless warranty even more worthless!

There is no further movement. The dealer knows he has the only one for sale in this already inflated car market. Plus there are a few niggling issues that need to be sorted prior to collection which made my negotiation position weaker

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - thunderbird

Surely you can find a better car than a B class out there. They have never been a highly rated car. You have a healthy budget so I would walk away and find a better car.

Unfortunately the market is very limited right now and full of diesels. I am buying this car for my wife and we need a petrol due to the limited mileage that she covers.

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - _

Hopefully you have checked the MOT history, mileages and what service history there is..??

Yes it all checks out what i like about this one is that it has a full MB service history and even the gearbox has been serviced.

The car has great spec including a pan roof which is why i am reluctant to walk away

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - Steveieb

Imagine it’s a 2014 plate ?

And do the diesels sell for less ?

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - badbusdriver

I do like the car as it is the only petrol one for sale in the entire country!

No it isn't, on Autotrader right now there are 89 petrol engined Mercedes B Class's listed nationwide (up to £11k).

Which exact engine is this?, and is it a manual or auto?.

For the record, I wouldn't be too keen on the B Class full stop because they are not that reliable and they have a harsh ride. Also, if it is an auto, it is a DCT, and I wouldn't have much faith in one of them regardless of whether it has been serviced or not (some DCT's can be reliable depending on how they have been treated, though not sure about the Merc's one specifically).

If i was looking for a car of that type (tall, MPV-ish hatch) with a manual gearbox, I'd be looking at the Ford C Max 1.6 petrol (not the 1.0 Ecoboost), Toyota Verso, Hyundai ix20 and Kia Venga (these are the same car barring badges and minor styling differences). As an auto, the Toyota Verso, Hyundai ix20 and Kia Venga.

Auto b200 petrol
Must have heated seats, parking sensors and pan roof
Price up to 11k
Minimum 2012

If you find one please post links

Edited by akbar Hussain on 25/11/2021 at 19:08

Auto b200 petrol Must have heated seats, parking sensors and pan roof Price up to 11k Minimum 2012 If you find one please post links

Without knowing where in the country you are, I'm not sure how useful any links I send you will be.

With regards to spec, having to have a panoramic roof will be a limiting factor. Obviously it is up to you, but IMO having a good car without a panoramic roof is a much better choice than a bad car with a panoramic roof!. Parking sensors is going to be pretty much a given at this price, but in the unlikely event that any potential candidate doesn't have, it isn't that expensive to have parking sensors fitted by an auto electrician.

However, the Kia Venga, in top of the range '4' trim, does have all the above. Ideally you want the late 2014 onwards facelifted cars which gained a 6 speed (torque converter) auto in place of the 4 speed of the earlier cars as this makes it better to drive and a little more efficient. Here are a few on Autotrader,

Worth pointing out that the next trim down Venga, the '3', has everything bar the roof.

Very nice cars I don’t think I’ve noticed any on the road

If it was for me I would consider one however I’ll have a hard time convincing the wife to go for a Kia when she has her heart set on the Mercedes ??
Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - bathtub tom
I’ll have a hard time convincing the wife to go for a Kia when she has her heart set on the Mercedes ??

So she doesn't want the car, but the car key fob?

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - Andrew-T
Very nice cars I don’t think I’ve noticed any on the road If it was for me I would consider one however I’ll have a hard time convincing the wife to go for a Kia when she has her heart set on the Mercedes ??

If your wife just likes a German badge on her car I think you should try to persuade her that is just snobbery - it adds nothing but cost and a bit of visible cachet. I realise that for some (mistaken) people that may be the most important aspect of personal transport :-)

As for the panoramic roof, I don't think they have any real use, tho kids quite like them. My Peugeot has one which only makes it a bit more like a greenhouse in hot weather.

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - Miniman777

As for the panoramic roof, I don't think they have any real use, tho kids quite like them. My Peugeot has one which only makes it a bit more like a greenhouse in hot weather.

Non-opening pan roofs are pointless, and as you say like a greenhouse. I had a Qashqai with one, made the car nice and airy, but no extra ventilation.

The opening type means you can flip the back section up, and have gentle ventilation. Nice.

It's a matter of personal choice.

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - galileo
Very nice cars I don’t think I’ve noticed any on the road If it was for me I would consider one however I’ll have a hard time convincing the wife to go for a Kia when she has her heart set on the Mercedes ??

Who is paying for the car and who will have to pay for repairs and maintenance?

If you pay and maintain, you decide.

There is an old, true, saying that he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - HENRY FOX
We have had a B class for 5 years from new Petrol and covered over 50,000 miles since new, a very comfortable, reliable and spacious car, would highly recommend

That's good to hear. I was very impressed with the drive it felt to me like a baby S Class.

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - barney100

Golden rule, if in doubt walk away.

Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - daveyK_UK
Barney100 is correct

While there are stock shortages, buyers still have some choice
Mercedes B Class - Used car dealer and Warranty - madf

Golden rule, if in doubt walk away.

When used car prices are double normal, walk away.

Non-opening pan roofs are pointless, and as you say like a greenhouse. I had a Qashqai with one, made the car nice and airy, but no extra ventilation.

The opening type means you can flip the back section up, and have gentle ventilation. Nice.

It's a matter of personal choice.

Not sure about the B Class, but the panoramic roof in the Kia Venga does open.