Peugeot 406 HDi clutch..... - pthomps
All

I've just bought a 3 year old Peugeot 406 HDi 90 estate, which seems in excellent condition. However, the clutch 'bite' point seems very high (i.e. the pedal needs to be released a long way). Is this normal? I'm told (rightly or wrongly) that the hydraulic clutch is 'self adjusting' and the bite point cannot be altered; but I'm slightly concerned that maybe this means the clutch is nearing the end of it's life(?) (surprising, as the car has only done 36k). The clutch is NOT slipping. There is also a very slight clutch judder at take up (only really noticeable when in reverse) - is this another clue?

Any comments would be most welcome...

Peter
Peugeot 406 HDi clutch..... - Wee Willie Winkie
This is probably no help to you, but my 2000 406HDi 90 (chipped to 116) is excatly the same. Quite a high biting point, and noticeable judder in reverse.

It's been the same in the 7K miles since I bought it in May, and now has 52K on the clock.

I was concerned at first, but now I think it might be the norm...
Thanks for that - I feel a little happier now. I've wondered about 'chipping' myself; which chip supplier did you use, and how much of a difference does it actually make?

Peter

Peugeot 406 HDi clutch..... - Wee Willie Winkie
I had the chip fitted by Simon Coe of CCC Technology, who you can reach by going through:

www.upsolute.com

It has made a difference in a number of ways,

1. The throttle response is much improved. Instead of asking the car to accelerate, and then 2 seconds later it says “Ok”, it is much quicker.
2. Smoothness. Delivery of additional power is spread evenly throughout the max power rev range of 1800-2700 (ish) rpm.
3. Mid range torque is great. Joining motorways is a bit of a laugh, as is the 30-50 dash.
4. Improved fuel economy. I used to average 48mpg, but now get: 51mpg if I drive normally, 53mpg if I drive like a nun. 48mpg if I’m in a hurry.

The cost was around £300, inc fitting which takes around 2 hours. Really, if you do a lot of motorway driving, it is the thing for you. Your insurance company need to be notified, although the chip is easily changed, if you know what I mean.

PS: I don’t work them, was just impressed with the service and product.

Thanks, that's useful information.

Peter
Peugeot 406 HDi clutch..... - Robin the Technician
Hi,
This type of vehicle has a clutch cable and looking at mine is adjustable at the gearbox end.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Peugeot 406 HDi clutch..... - Ben79
The 2.0 HDI has a hydraulic clutch, or at least on ALL Citroens. I doubt this would be any different on the 406.

Ben
On my 3rd Citroen. Saxo, Xsara, C5.
Hi
Well, I just looked uner the bonnet of my 1.9 diesel 1999 model 406 and it is definitely a cable clutch. Also the Unipart catalogue lists cables for all ranges of406 - 2.0 and 2.1. The only thing I got wrong was it being adjustable. However, in keeping with automatic adjusting cables which frequently go wrong, I'd suggest changing it.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
I've never heard of an automatically adjusting clutch cable - the symptoms, therefore, would suggest that the cable has become too short. Is this really a possible cause?

Peter
Hi,
Automatic adjusting clutch cables have been around for some while now (I can remember the 1984 Rover 213/216 having them). After they have been working for some while they can give problems and its far cheaper to change it than to continue running it with a maladjusted one. Many Rovers I've worked on suffered with the cable auto ajuster going wrong and had to be replaced. In some cases the lack of adjustment had resulted in a cluch change as well. For what it takes and the cost of the cable, its by far the easiest and cheapest option to tackle first.

--