Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - _

Hot on the heels of bicycle and other monthly subscription services, drivers can now get electric cars on a renewable monthly basis, with everything included – even free charging.

A number of firms are now offering this fresh take on driving, effectively giving people a chance to try electric vehicles without the commitment of buying or entering a lengthy leasing agreement.

For £389 a month – with no up front deposit – Onto will provide a Renault Zoe 135 capable of about 190 miles on a full charge. As with Netflix, the contract automatically renews each month unless you cancel, meaning that as long as you keep paying, the car stays outside your house.

Included in the monthly fee is the insurance, maintenance and servicing, tyres, breakdown cover, the London congestion charge registration – and charging at 11,000 public chargers.

Analysts say it is a great way to try an electric car without a huge financial commitment. Until now, the options were expensive leasing deals, typically lasting a minimum of two years, starting at around £240 a month. Usually, there’s a deposit of three monthly payments upfront, and drivers have to insure and service the car themselves. Those buying a new electric car faced having to hand over a minimum of £25,000.

By the end of this month Onto expects to have a fleet of 2,300 vehicles and is planning to double in size every three months throughout 2021.

Its service is based on its smartphone app. Customers have to be aged 25-85 and have to have a driver’s licence with no more than six penalty points in the last three years. You also can’t have been the cause of more than one crash in the last three years.

However, if you qualify and can pass the firm’s ID and other checks, it will deliver a car to your home (for £49.50) within 72 hours. There are a range models on offer – from the Zoe starting at £389 a month, up to the luxury Jaguar I-Pace at £1,299 a month.

The Tesla Model 3 starts at £799 a month for the standard car, while the long-range version, with a 280- mile range on a full charge, is £999 a month.

The crucial difference between these prices and conventional leases is that they include access to Onto’s fleet insurance policy. Users are allowed to use the car for commuting, social use and occasional business. However, commercial use, as a taxi or similar, is prohibited.

When you consider it could easily cost £800-£1,000 a year for many drivers to insure these cars, Onto’s pricing starts to look like good value. If you want a partner or friend to be able to drive, you’ll pay an extra £9.99 a month.

Be warned, though, that if you have an accident you will have to pay the first £1,000 of any claim.

Hirers get 1,000 miles included in their monthly fee, but you can buy extra if you find your mileage starts adding up.

Rather bizarrely, you don’t get the actual car keys: you will only be able to use the app on your phone to unlock, lock, and start the car.

The best bit is that if you decide you don’t need the car, after three months for instance, you can hand it back with no financial penalty other than the £49.50 collection fee.

Equally you can trade up or down to a better car, or a cheaper model, at any time. All the firm’s cars are 100% electric.

Free charging comes via BP Pulse, Shell and Tesla’s network, which would normally cost 30p per kWh, or around £15 to fully charge a Zoe. There is, of course, nothing to stop you charging the car at home at your own expense.

The other main difference between this service and a conventional lease is that you don’t get a new car: but it will generally have low mileage and be less than two years old.

Rob Jolly, Onto’s founder and chief executive says: “Onto was set up to make the customer shift to electric cars accessible, easy and affordable.

“Our subscription service means customers can sign up for a monthly rolling contract knowing that all their costs will be included and that they can continue, switch models or stop at the end of each month.

“Ultimately, we want to remove the barriers to EV adoption and encourage more zero-emission cars on to the roads. We also don’t believe flexibility should come at a premium, so our subscriptions are competitive with leasing – but with everything included.”

Rival firm Elmo works in a similar way, although its terms are not quite as favourable. Users have to agree to a minimum three-month rental, at which point they can cancel with 30 days’ notice. Drivers also have to be at least 30 to qualify, charging access costs an extra £10 a month, and you only get 800 miles a month included.

It’s offering a basic Nissan Leaf for £330 a month plus £95 admin fee, although the Renault Zoe at £379, plus fee, looks a better bet.

It also offers the MG ZS from £429 a month. These have much more space than the Zoe and would a good choice for anyone needing a standard family-sized car.

Melanie Shufflebotham, the co-founder of the Zap-Map website and app, which lists the country’s EV charging points, says these services are a great way to try an electric car, without tying yourself into a long and expensive contract.

She said: “Many people are keen to go electric but have concerns about the cost, or making a leap into the unknown. Studies shows that when drivers make the move to electric, they are unlikely to go back to a petrol or diesel car, so this could be a real game-change in shifting the dial on electric vehicle uptake.”

This could be a very good way to see if I could live with an Electric car.

I have offroad parking, ( driveway) so may well give it a go.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - Engineer Andy

£389 a month isn't exactly cheap for a city car. If you kept it for 10 years, that's nearly £47k, even if it covers insurance, servicing and charging costs*.

* Presumably there would be a maximum usage allowance per month (or year) that you then have to pay full price for charging after you go over the limit, rather like you would do for a PCP deal? Similarly would there be limitations or higher charges for young/inexperienced drivers (insurance component) or a minimum age requirement?

A petrol city car would cost around £10-11k new - I doubt if its entire lifetime cost over 10 years would be £47k for anyone over 25.

£389 a month isn't exactly cheap for a city car. If you kept it for 10 years, that's nearly £47k, even if it covers insurance, servicing and charging costs*.

* Presumably there would be a maximum usage allowance per month (or year) that you then have to pay full price for charging after you go over the limit, rather like you would do for a PCP deal? Similarly would there be limitations or higher charges for young/inexperienced drivers (insurance component) or a minimum age requirement?

A petrol city car would cost around £10-11k new - I doubt if its entire lifetime cost over 10 years would be £47k for anyone over 25.

I was thinking of a month or two to try.

Any From sThe Guardian - Electric car short term lease - daveyK_UK
£389 a month!

Expensive motoring in a city car
Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - skidpan

We paid £12000 for the 110 PS TSI Fabia SE-L

At current prices over 10 years it will cost us about £2500 in insurance, £1550 VED, £2500 servicing and MOT and doing about 6000 miles a year at 48 mpg will be about £6500 in petrol. There will no doubt be other costs, will certainly need a set of tyres at some point, about £300 and a cam belt after 6 years at about £400. Add together that little lot and it totals £13750. Add the £12500 purchase price and its £26250 assuming the Fabia will be valueless after 10 years, a bit unlikely.

Compared to £47000 for an electric city car over the same period it looks cheap.

As I said.

IF I want one for 1 month or 2 to try.....

No contract. No insurance etc to pay.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - skidpan

Not happy with the Sportage?

Surely hiring an electric car for a week or 2 would be cheaper.

A long test drive would be even cheaper to get an idea.

Very happy with the Sportage..

Curious to see how it would be..

A month would give a better idea...

Look at the cost of renting for a week

Not happy with the Sportage?

Surely hiring an electric car for a week or 2 would be cheaper.

A long test drive would be even cheaper to get an idea.

I was contemplating buying a small, highly-effecient petrol only or hybrid car next time, but hiring a bigger car to use when I go on my two week holiday to the West Country.

Not sure whether an EV would fit the bill for either, but I agree that sometimes (if they let you) an extended test drive or 1-2 week hire period might suit just as well as a couple of months. I wonder how much that would cost just from a normal car hire firm?

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - barney100

If they think almost £400 per month for a Diddy EV is going to tempt me then think again.

I was thinking of a month or two to try.

Fair enough, though long term you'd need to do a lot of mileage to justify that sort of monthly outlay forwhat is a second or local commuting/shopping car.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - HGV ~ P Valentine

I looked at leasing a car once, and quickly changed my mind when I saw how much deposit they wanted, and how low the mileage I was allowed, i will make some enquiries and get back with details of the real, upfront money you have to part with before you can drive this " cheaper ?" way of having a car off the forecourt.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - mcb100
Covid has changed many people’s working lives, mine included.
If I ever sat and rationally thought about it, car ownership isn’t the sensible solution for me with a huge increase in the time I spend working at home.
But, as part of the ‘gig economy’ there will times when I need a car for a period of a few weeks - this is a good solution for me.
I’m sure I’m not alone in this situation, when owning a car is an emotional, not a rational choice.
Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - focussed

"For £389 a month"

Hmm - not exactly a introductory bargain is it?

We can hire a basic runabout here in France from various supermarkets from €5 per day with a 2 year contract

€5 per day x 30 days = €150 / 1.16 pound/euro rate = including insurance

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - RT

"For £389 a month"

We can hire a basic runabout here in France from various supermarkets from €5 per day with a 2 year contract

€5 per day x 30 days = €150 / 1.16 pound/euro rate = including insurance

The attraction is NOT having a 2-year contract, or more - just a rolling one month arrangement.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - focussed

"For £389 a month"

€5 per day x 30 days = €150 per month ( about £129 per month including insurance)

Not including fuel, tyres or maintenance.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - Wee Willie Winkie

The information in the article about charging is a little misleading. The only way one would be able to use Tesla superchargers is if one rented a Tesla. One cannot currently rock up to a Supercharger in, say, a Zoe.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - badbusdriver

Fear not ORB, I get it!.

For someone who feels an EV may work for them, but want to be sure by trying one for a month or two with no strings attatched, it is an ideal solution.

As do I.
This model of hiring rather than buying will be huge in years to come.
As do I. This model of hiring rather than buying will be huge in years to come.

Only when the range and charging issues are not a problem for all. The latter still will be for those of us living in flats, terraced housing or where the car is occasionally/on the spur of the moment needed to do long journeys.

I think that until then it'll be the preserve of the well-heeled or home owners with driveways using them as local use cars.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - sammy1

This model of hiring rather than buying will be huge in years to come.

Why should this be any different in the future than it is now. The average owner drives to work and home again 5 days a week, visits the supermarket, has days out and may holiday once or twice a year. The car still stays parked up most of the time whether hired or owned. To hire a car long term is probably more expensive than depreciation and is more akin to buying on PCP or the like. Hire is more suited to casual use Shared ownership may be more appealing to some as it is now.

There are a few cars that I would like to have for a month before buying.

Theoretically, I can afford to buy anthing mainstream electric on the market, but I am not sure that it is right for me at the moment.

The advantage of trying various models for a month or so give stime to see what living with one is like.

There will be more of us without a commute - apart from to a home office, and I can can get a lot of supermarket home deliveries for way less than the cost of taking and insuring a car.
For a month that I can foresee a few days out, whether they be work or leisure, a 30 day lease will do the job nicely.
That’s the rational approach. In reality, we’ll continue to have two cars parked outside the house for 98% of their lives.
Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - Terry W

Comparing a "whole life" 10 year long term cost of ownership with a cancellable monthly rental commitment is nonsense.

As an opportunity to try before you buy it is an excellent idea - far better to spend £400 for a months EV rental than £25k++ for a new ICE, or commit to £5k++ for a two year PCP deal.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - expat
As do I. This model of hiring rather than buying will be huge in years to come.

My son already does this. He lives in the city centre with no parking and works a short walk away. When he needs a car he hires one but that isn't often. Mostly he walks or uses public transport.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - paul 1963

I also "get it" ORB, I don't particularly want a EV but I would like to experience one for a month just out of interest.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - pd

I don't the the prices are too terrible for short term rentals which is basically what these are.

Comparing prices to 2 or 3 years leases is hardly sensible. Any long term contract will cost less be it a car or a mobile phone.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - movilogo

The whole idea of hiring a car rather than owning it so that buyers will end up paying 2-3 times more over lifetime usage of the car under hire rather than own mode.

Manufacturers/finance companies want to market this as trendy because it brings more money to their profit.

For short term, like holiday, temporary relocation = go for hire mode

For long term, go for ownership mode

To taste EV it is a good plan to pay £389 but as a long term transport solution I don't think it is a cost effective solution.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - brum

The whole idea of hiring a car rather than owning it so that buyers will end up paying 2-3 times more over lifetime usage of the car under hire rather than own mode.

Unfortunately today's younger generation have been brought up to blindly accept the monthly payment for everything model.I despair when I hear my kids start saying "but Dad its only £299 per month..."

Don't forget to read the small print and understand it too.

As per the car hire model, the cars you get won't be brand spanking new, the range and recharging that possible in 24 hours is limited, so that limits its monthly mileage possible. There are £1000 excesses mentioned I bet its a lot more for the exotic models, Ts & Cs (no pets?) and the usual microscopic inspection and penalties on return, hopefully not ain the way Greenmotion works. I doubt normal car hire insurance excess cover would cover these hires.

And charging is free only at selected outlets, you can charge at home at your own expense. I don't have any of the quoted chargers within 50 miles of me and I wouldn't want to spend best part of a couple of days every month sat in a sevice station. And is the free charging guaranteed for the period of hire? Read the EULA and T&C before signing. Don't just click "agree" on the App as we tend to do with EULAs

Sounds to me like yet another californian style 'tech start up' drawing in loads of gullible and desperate investors to burn through their cash on the promise of a multi billion IPO and sunny uplands in the future.

Edited by brum on 15/03/2021 at 12:20

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - bazza

This thread caused me to have a look at PCP prices for EVs, as at some point will be possibly changing our 2nd car which is now 11 years old nearly (Focus petrol) . An EV 2nd car would work locally but driving to the depths of North Wales or on remote Scottish camping holidays, I'm not so sure. In fact I think I would have great anxiety about range etc. Back to cost and they seem pretty expensive to me, about £300 a month or say £20 K odd cash minimum for a small car I can buy a Swift or Ignis or I10 or other such competent smallish car for half that. So although the EV idea is interesting, and yes there is some kind of C02 reduction overall ( although in UK aren't we still mainly on gas?) I don't believe there is any financial advantage at all right now, although I have an open mind. Has anyone had a good look at payback time/distance via the fuel saving?

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - madf

It's simple looking at EVs.

Buy now, pay a premium and get a technically dodgy product. (charging/range)

Wait 10 years and get a competitively priced product, techniclaly superior in every way.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - bazza

I think you are spot on with that analysis madf!

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - John F

Does the current practice of displaying car ownership (or even just keeprship) cost in terms of 'only' a few hundred pounds a month serve to blind the innumerate to financial reality? Unless you have money to burn, five grand a year to own any sort of car strikes me as being astonishingly extravagant, especially if it's electric and saving you only one grand's worth of fuel cost a year.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - barney100

Obviously evesare more expensive to buy than an ice car.

Any From The Guardian - Electric car short term lease - HGV ~ P Valentine

No quote without registration, so I cant give you prices with this company but another leasing firm is thus.

£267.74

Monthly Rental (inc VAT)

Initial Rental£2409.67

Processing Fee£199.00

Contract TypePersonalBusiness

Contract Term243648

Initial Rental136912

Annual Mileage5,0008,00010,00012,00015,00020,00025,00030,000

An excess mileage charge will apply if you exceed the contracted mileage. The exact charge will be confirmed on the official quotation prior to your acceptance to proceed.
Vauxhall Corsa e-electric.

‘No quote without registration, so I cant give you prices with this company but another leasing firm is thus.

£267.74

Monthly Rental (inc VAT)

Initial Rental£2409.67

Processing Fee£199.00

Contract TypePersonalBusiness

Contract Term243648

Initial Rental136912

Annual Mileage5,0008,00010,00012,00015,00020,00025,00030,000

An excess mileage charge will apply if you exceed the contracted mileage. The exact charge will be confirmed on the official quotation prior to your acceptance to proceed.
Vauxhall Corsa e-electric.’

Is this a fixed term lease?