Best almost new company car under £23k - logger

Hi

My sister is lucky enough to be due a replacement company car in June/July this year. She will be buying or possibly leasing the car and needs to be ideally 2 or 3 years old.

She currently drives a 2014 Ford Focus 1.8 auto. Its been reliable, reasonably nippy but with 80k on the clock now it seems to be a but sluggish up and down the hills of Yorkshire where she often visits clients

• Budget : approx £23k
  • Year : 2019/2020
  • Mileage : 10-15k miles a year.
  • Gearbox : Auto
  • Performance : Nippy and good at overtaking on motorways
  • Doors : 5 door.
  • Tax : Ideally low under £150 but max £270
  • Fuel : Ideally Petrol/ Petrol/Hybird not electric , diesel ?
  • Style : Hatchback or SUV

So far but not an exhausted list she is considering

1. 2020 Ford Puma but only the less powerful car has the auto gearbox,
  2. 2019 Mercedes A Class A220 5 door petrol
  3. 2019 Audi Q2 35 Tfsi 5 door petrol

Any other suggestions welcome

Thanks

Best almost new company car under £23k - barney100

Golf GTI or equivalent Seat etc.

Best almost new company car under £23k - badbusdriver

If you can live with the looks, a Honda Civic 1.5 turbo (180bhp). Brand new examples on Autotrader from just under £22k including 5 years free servicing.

Best almost new company car under £23k - DavidGlos
I’m confused. If she’s lucky enough to receive a company car, why is she looking for cars that are 2-3 years old? I’ve had company cars over the years and they’ve always been provided brand new and I’ve had to choose from an approved list of vehicles.

Is she taking a cash in lieu of car option from her employer?
I’m confused. If she’s lucky enough to receive a company car, why is she looking for cars that are 2-3 years old? I’ve had company cars over the years and they’ve always been provided brand new and I’ve had to choose from an approved list of vehicles. Is she taking a cash in lieu of car option from her employer?

What I'm especially confused at is why she'd be looking at a 2020 Puma when you can get a new one from under £21.5k.

Thanks for that. Its not my place to ask why her MD has always bought/leased cars 1-3 years old but his accountant says it is very tax efficient for the company. We are just happy to have the opportunity to be given a company car and thats fine with us

So not comments on the Audi Q2 , Puma or Mercedes ?

Best almost new company car under £23k - skidpan

Get a Skoda Karoq. Same car as the Q2 but being a Skoda its cheaper. For the same money as a Q2 a newer car or to keep the accountant happy the same age car and save money.

Really don't rate the A Class myself, I think it is a decidedly average car, a long way from best in class in terms of actual ability. But most folk can't see past that badge (and the infotainment on the current model).

The Puma?, as a new or nearly new probably be OK with the Ecoboost. Certainly seems to be liked by the motoring press, but that is probably due to being focussed on driving enjoyment. Be aware that due to the big storage space under the boot floor, no spare and nowhere to keep it were you to buy your own (other than in the boot itself). I'm not sold on its looks, but that is down to personal opinion.

The A2?, I don't like its looks at all. I'd also be looking to avoid the 1.5 which I'm pretty sure is under the bonnet of the '35' (in Audi's idiotic and meaningless new naming system) you mention. The 115bhp 1.0 3 pot seems to be a great engine, so were I pushed, that's where I'd go. But I'd also be reluctant of the dry clutch DSG you'd get in it. Not just because of reliability, (as you'd have some warranty left, and presumably some kind of breakdown assistance would be included in the company car scheme), but because of what I've read about drivability. As with the Merc, you are paying more for that badge that you would for mechanically identical other small SUV's within the VAG stable.

Best almost new company car under £23k - Senexdriver

Avant has a Q2 and I know he loves it. No doubt he’ll be along shortly to confirm. He’s got the 2 litre 190 bhp petrol engine, which I also have in an A4 and I can tell you it makes for pretty spirited driving. The 1.5 petrol unit is a very good engine and the reported problems are, apparently, only where you have a manual gearbox. My wife has the 1.5 unit in an A3 with auto gearbox and in 20,000 miles it has run faultlessly.

I personally dislike the shape of the Q2 - too boxy and angular - but that’s just my taste.

Best almost new company car under £23k - Rerepo

Toyota Corolla Hybrid 2.0

Thanks.. good suggestions ..