Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 twinport (petrol) - Corsa "c" sump removal. - strickjumpers

Hello, can anyone advise if the exhaust 3 bolt flange to cat needs to be separated and dropped to allow the sump to be removed?

Doing sump removal on a driveway on ramps and need it to be as easy as possible.

I have a weep at the bottom of the bell housing, but the back of the flywheel is quite void of fresh oil, hoping there's a breach in the sump gasket, whats the chances!

rattle stops after about 3 seconds, had the rocker cover off and no.4. inlet cam lobe is worn, I have a replacement and some lifters, is the timing chain tensioner hydraulic or is it spring loaded unit, which would rule this out as oil pressure dependent

Any comments and advice greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 twinport (petrol) - Corsa "c" sump removal. - focussed

Sounds like you need a workshop manual.

haynes.com/en-gb/vauxhall/corsa/2000-2006

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 twinport (petrol) - Corsa "c" sump removal. - edlithgow

I THINK I've heard/read somewhere (maybe on here) that these have a generic tendency to blocked camshaft oil-feed, leading to a high failure rate. IIRC they get noisy, diesel-impersonation-stylee, first.

IIRC again there is a trick involving blowing out the oilways. Have a search, I don't have time right now, sorry.

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 twinport (petrol) - Corsa "c" sump removal. - strickjumpers

Thanks for the camshaft bearing info, its the kind of thing my Haynes manual does not mention, mike.

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 twinport (petrol) - Corsa "c" sump removal. - edlithgow

I had a search but failed to find the thread I was thinking of.

IIRC someone posted a procedure he used to blow a carbon plug out of the oilway and then got badgered by multiple numpties wanting him to do it for them for free.

Not sure it was on here but it probably was.

Did find a lot on snapping camshafts though, which you are probably already aware of. Main reason seemed to be loose bearing cap bolts, though timing chain slack is also mentioned.

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in HJ's replies on the bearing cap bolt issue. There are quite a few references to the desirability of re-torquing these, and at least two saying they are stretch bolts and can't be re-tightened. No obvious model or temporal pattern that I can see. Sample below

Vauxhall coa***r

I just bought a Corsa 1.2SXI. I have been driving it now for 3 weeks and it has just started to make a tapping noise very much like a diesel. I have changed the oil and filter (the oil was dirty and the filter worse). But it has made no difference. I used Castrol Magnatec and a Halfords filter. When I start the car from cold it’s fine, sounds good, no tapping at all. But after about 10 minutes the tapping starts and gets worse. Any help, please?

Asked on 18 June 2010 by KC, via email

DO NOT DRIVE IT AT ALL. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE. The camshaft retaining bolts will have become loose. They need to be re-tightened before the engine is started or the camshaft will break.

Rattle shake

I recently had my Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v played about with by various mechanics. They seem to have stopped it conking out but have not got rid of a certain rattle it makes. It does this when the accelerator is pressed down past a certain point not very far at all. However it does not rattle when up to a fair speed and I’ve been told it’s not the small end. Would you have any ideas?

Asked on 23 October 2009 by

The camshaft retaining bolts come loose. Vital to have them re torqued correctly, otherwise the camshaft will come adrift with disastrous consequences. Your boys obviously don’t know about this, so get the car to someone who does know. More in car-by-car breakdown at www.honestjohn.co.uk

Do you have any advice about my Vauxhall Corsa's misfire?

I have changed the coil pack and plugs but my Vauxhall Corsa still has a misfire. It will start ok but it's got some sort of knocking noise coming from the engine. Can you advise on the next checks that should be made?

Asked on 24 July 2010 by Golf_gazza

Possibly loose camshaft retaining stretch bolts. They can't be tightened. You need new bolts.

Is it normal for a 2005 Vauxhall Corsa's engine to be noisy?

My daughter bought a Corsa 1.2 on an 05 plate with 24,000 miles. l have noticed that the engine is quite noisy when we are driving - is this normal?

Asked on 10 August 2010 by ydoyle123

No. The camshaft carriers will be loose because the bolts holding them in place have stretched. These stretch bolts urgently need to be replaced (they cannot be tightened).