Auris - Non-fault accident, excess, no motor legal - Eddm
Hello,

I’m really anxious as I (well, my parked car) was involved in a non-fault accident. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for the third party’s insurance company to admit liability but I’m not holding any hope that that will happen any time soon as it is a bus company and nearly a week after the incident I don’t know if it has even been reported on their end!

I wasn’t comfortable signing a credit agreement to go with a non-fault service, and also I needed my car fixed at a dealer garage to maintain the warranty which wasn’t possible with them (I’ve had it 2 months ), so I went though my own insurance company.

So, I’m having to pay my excess... £400 is a lot of money. When I took out my insurance I opted against motor legal.. because I was naive and didn’t understand it. I never imagined paying my excess when it is so clearly someone else’s fault (witness, lots of photos etc as proof). Should have researched it but I hope it’s not a mistake worth £400... I’m with Admiral.

However, if they admit liability after I’ve paid the garage for the repairs (my excess only, insurance company covering the rest), I’m told I will have to seek to reclaim it via my own means and at my own cost or through Admiral law, who would take a chunk.

Basically, I’m told that because I don’t have motor legal, I’m screwed!

Does anyone know what my rights are in terms of recovering this “uninsured loss”... I don’t understand how it works... or when or if I might ever see that money again. Thankfully my NCD is not affected!
Auris - Non-fault accident, excess, no motor legal - Falkirk Bairn

Was your car roadworthy after the bump?

If not a hire car should be OK but credit hire can have them coming back to bite you long after the car damage is fixed.

If the car was driveable you should have been on to the bus insurer & tell them your car was going to XXX Franchise for repair. Get a claim number from them to allow the garage of your choice to quote for the job. AS soon as the car was going to the garage for YY days you tell them to hire a car from Avis or whoever & tell them you want them to cover you for insurance (IF you pay hire car excess cover you cannot get that back)

Other losses cover = loss of work, costs of any taxi, hire car, etc etc

I experienced a bus taking my rear bumper, rear lights, bashed hatchback on my then car - bus cut the corner & pulled my parked car into street. I phoned them immediately for a claim number, they told me to get 2 quotes from body repairers, they hired a car for a week - all over & done as they were grateful I contacted them instead of my in surer / 3rd party claims company.

Auris - Non-fault accident, excess, no motor legal - gordonbennet

FB's plan sounds a good one, as said you will get a better response goodwill and outcome by allowing the company to have some control of their own costs in this case, using an accident/credit hire mob will not work out any better for you and has the grave possibility of biting you in the back side in the future, taking a £1200 total claim up to £7500 by hanging repairs out as long as possible whilst a high end car is 'rented' out at extortionate rates is of no benefit to any party here in the long run.

My unfortunate bus at fault experience was really compounded by NU, who also insured the bus company.

Despite amazed witnesses at the incompetence of the bus driver, the insurer paid out for the bus damage on a knock for knock basis and took my NCD away without a by your leave, when i contacted the insurer i was actually laughed at and told if i took the bus company to court and won damages they would re-instate my NCD, of course back in the late 70's young dads trying to make ends meet were always suing big companies and winning/sarc, hence a lesson learned (not as i was in a position to do anything at all about it) and why i would never touch NU or whatever they may call themselves now with a barge pole.