Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - FoxyJukebox

Goodness me--this seems to be getting worse and worse each time I use it. Passengers being dropped off now experience a minimum 5000 +step walk from car drop off to plane boarding( 3 kms).I checked on my phone-same on return.

Worse-A stupid elevated hump has appeared in the drop off zone which is apparently something to do with undercover passenger access( work in progress-naturally). The hump confuses traffic which slows to a dead crawl whilst navigating before it sets off again on it's dreary round robin queuing( the horrible human type you get at security and passport control).

This road access building work has been going on for 15 years-when on earth is it going to end?when is a proper access railway going to be available? and even more important, when is every area of the terminal itself going to stop feeling like the inside of a prison.

I have only used Luton once this year-Stansted is not much better ,but at least it was originally built as an airport and not a 1940's airfield. Stansted wasn't built on top of a hill either.

Avoid avoid avoid

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - FP

Luton Airport is too convenient for us to avoid. We've used it three times this year so far and pretty much know how everything works.

The drop-off zone was relocated earlier this year and is temporary. It would work better than it does if people didn't insist on stopping in the wrong place.

I'm told it will eventually be located underground.

Certainly it's correct to say a lot of the problems are due to geography. As far as I know, there are no firm plans for a rail link. The steepness of the hill means a conventional railway is probably not feasible.

More car-parking space is currently being built. The access roads have fairly recently been improved, but are still subject to delays at peak times. It's difficult to see what more can be done.

To add to the problems, the airport is planning an increase in the number of flights it handles.

We know the problems and just make the best of it. Incidentally, though I agree that you can end up doing a lot of walking, I think Gatwick Airport is worse, especially if you arrive by train.

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - oldroverboy.

Stansted (standstill) can be frustrating, but the trick if dropping off or parking is to go to th medium term carpark, Free for 1 hour, or £2 for 2 hours..

We also have southend as an alternative and that is superb!

Just hope it doesn't become a victim of its own success.

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - Energyman
Luton is a nightmare, I avoid it like the plague now, parking at Stansted works well, as said pickup and drop off using medium term car park and free bus are good, though if Heathrow, particularly terminal 2 can provide nearby multi-storey undercover parking that works well, why can’t others.
There is a new terminal building being built at Stansted alongside the existing perhaps the parking will change again.
Stansted was a USAAF bomber base by the way, hence the long runway.
Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - bathtub tom

If anyone wants dropping off at Luton, I now leave them at Luton Parkway rail station and let them catch the bus - free if they've bus passes.

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - John F

Certainly it's correct to say a lot of the problems are due to geography. As far as I know, there are no firm plans for a rail link. The steepness of the hill means a conventional railway is probably not feasible.

Well, use an unconventional one, like the Swiss do. Jeez - why is this country so backwards nowadays?

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - alan1302

Well, use an unconventional one, like the Swiss do. Jeez - why is this country so backwards nowadays?

Why are we backwards? Has anyone said we couldn't look any alternatives?

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - Andy500

Luton airport is sheer madness. Changes every time I've used it in the last few years - and sometimes that's only after a couple of weeks that it's unrecognisable! I feel your pain!

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - Manatee

My already low opinion of Luton airport was "cemented" many years ago when I went for a day trip to somewhere in Europe, can't remember where.

I was quite pleased to find a parking space space bang next to bus shelter at stop C3, so I left the car there knowing it would be easy to find.

On my return only 14-15 hours later I got off the bus at stop C3. No sign of the car. ANother chap was having a similar problem. What were the chances that both of our cars had been stolen?

Then I noticed fresh concrete surrounding the legs of the bus shelter. They had only moved the bus stop about 200 yards since I had left the car there that morning.

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - FoxyJukebox

OK-so dropped my son off at 05.45 this morning( 24/5)-haven't been up Luton Airport for a year now--and guess what. It's even worse than before. No improvements anywhere at all. Diggers, massive earthworks all around the idiotic drop off zone that muddles everybody. Jam packed with cars, passengers wrestling with luggage over a 500 yd + walk to terminal ...

My son texted me half an hour after i'd dropped him off saying that inside the terminal it was ( to him) a "brilliant example of everything that was wrong with uk society ".

So--thats it....never again, ever ever ever ......It's complete and utter dump

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - FP

Luton Airport is our local and as such I probably know it as well as anyone - we use it several times a year.

The drop-off zone is indeed a pain - not well-designed, but made worse by people stopping in the wrong places. It is indeed further from the departures entrance than its previous location. Apparently it's temporary; eventually it will be situated underground, though exactly where I've no idea.

Inside the terminal is no better or worse than most UK airports in my opinion - they are all like overcrowded cattle barns to me.

I feel a bit sorry for Luton Airport. The problems of access are mainly to do with geography - the fact that it's at the top of a steepish hill - and there's therefore a limit on how much road traffic you can get in and out of the place and also a limit on how much on-site parking there can be. However, expansion plans are in progress - considerable increases in the number of flights; one might question whether that it wise.

Some improvement in access can be expected when the new rail link opens. Then it will be possible to drop passengers off near the present Luton Parkway Station and the shuttle bus that links the terminal with Luton Parkway will cease.

At present we keep our blood pressure down by arriving in good time and the use of either public transport or taxi or a lift, and by being prepared for a long wait after arriving, but before our flight.

P.S. I realise a lot of this restates an earlier post I made. The significant difference is that the rail link is now under construction.

Edited by FP on 24/05/2019 at 18:31

Luton Airport access, drop off, parking - focussed

Luton airport is the armpit of the home counties, the lad that coined the description "" a brilliant example of everything that was wrong with uk society ".is spot on correct.