Ford Focus Estate - My dreadful experience with an Rac car dealer - Jodders74

Just thought I would share you my awful experience dealing with an Rac dealer and the rac conciliation process , bought a Ford Focus back in May from an Rac dealer in good faith the website advertised Rac warrantys and 40 years in the trade with glowing reviews and I trusted them - mistake no. 1 !!!

6 weeks later my gears were not quite right so I took it to an rac approved garage and unfortunately they found a serious oil leak from the gearbox area , the car was advertised with a new clutch (Nov. 2017)and it would take 5 hours to diagnose the fault although the mechanic thought it was caused by the new clutch not been fitted correctly.

I immediately contacted the dealer and eventually he agreed he would take it back and get it fixed under the warranty , unfortunately he kept putting it off and eventually ignored me for about 6 weeks. I contacted citizens advice and sent out 2 letters outlining the problem and demanding a fix or refund.

At the end of the 6 weeks I received a letter from the dealers stating I knew of the issue when I bought it and I didn't deserve anything(absolute lies) . So contacted the rac and they started the process of conciliation process - mistake no.2!!

To cut a very long story short after another 5 to 6 weeks I was told by the rac that there team of experts didnt believe was caused by the clutch and more evidence was needed . I got the car fixed and as there was oil contamited inside the clutch I had that changed and treatment into the gearbox (as I coudnt afford a new gearbox as wel as a clutch )

Although doubting this would be covered in the warranty as the problem existed when I bought the car the garage then applied for this and had it turned down by the rac.

The original garage that fitted the clutch in November was over 300 miles away and I just didnt have the time to take it there to get fixed.I also found the original advert stated 6 service stamps when there was in fact 2, more lies

Rac has now told me the dealer is closing down although they are still selling cars

Last email from Rac contained this statement -

"You had previously provided me copies of the invoice for the work carried out to the clutch in November 2017, which had the address and contact details for the dealership who carried out the work. As the work was carried out prior to ###### acquiring the vehicle and as they did not authorise this, they would not be responsible for the work completed. This responsibility would fall solely with the garage who completed the work under their relevant parts and labour guarantee."

This tells me any car bought from an Rac dealer that has had work done to it prior to buying it even if it is at fault would not be there responsibilty .

unfortunatly the dealer and Rac are giving dealers a bad name and I will never ever buy a car from a dealer again .

Ford Focus Estate - My dreadful experience with an Rac car dealer - SLO76
What age is the car and what mileage had it done when you bought it, also how much did you pay for it?

Focus end of 2008 cost 2600 done 90000k was ripped off I know that now ! Only reason I bought it was because it was advertised with new clutch

Ford Focus Estate - My dreadful experience with an Rac car dealer - SLO76
I sympathise. Only mistake you’ve made is to have faith in a warranty on a ten year old car. It’s simply not possible to guarantee an older car like this which can go wrong at any moment plus a clutch is a wear and tear item and wouldn’t be covered on a three year old car never mind this.

I assume there’s been oil contamination of the clutch plate which may be the reason why the last one was changed. This suggests a leaking input shaft seal. It’s not a disaster and it’s unlikely to be an issue with the gearbox itself. A new clutch and oil seal if it has failed should solve it without huge expense.

A clutch failing on a 90,000 mile car can’t be classed as a breakdown or failure any more than a leaking exhaust or worn brake pads. It’s a wear and tear item and just another cost to bear. Just a shame that whoever fitted the last one didn’t sort the oil leak you say it had.

This is why I tend to point people towards private sales st this sort of money. Why pay a dealers margin and buy a warranty when you’ve little comeback anyway? Dealers who sell old cars like this know how to wriggle past any legal obligations, they have to as again it’s not possible to guarantee an old near 100k car and any warranty will have more holes in it than a colander.

On that subject was it juddering badly or did the clutch just start slipping?

Edited by SLO76 on 01/10/2018 at 21:48

It was slipping a little in 4th and 5th had the clutch changed last week and fixed now touch wood ! I never really thought it would be covered by the warranty just the fact the dealer sold me the car with the leak and then denied it and called me a liar and the rac stuck by them and never admitted the dealer was in the wrong ,

I suppose you learn from your mistakes just want to make sure other people will learn from mine!

Ford Focus Estate - My dreadful experience with an Rac car dealer - gordonbennet

Some of those once famous motoring clubs who are now simply a business don't carry the stamp of approval they once did, just as brands in all walks of life are now mere shadows of what they once were.

An old friend of mine started out in business in a part of the building trade, he'd got nous but little experience but within days he was able to purchase membership of a seemingly impressive guild that allowed him, complete with note header and van transfer to give the impression of a builder of umpteen years standing.

Hope the car gives you good service from now on, and thanks for the warning to take no notice of meaningless endorsements from grand sounding sources.