Mazda 6 2.0 auto - Kid in a sweet shop - joegrundy

Now that I've encompassed changing my car (04 x type 2.0d, 174k) I'm a bit like a kid in a sweet shop - too much choice.

I vacillate between a cheapo new one on PCP (Dacia) and what I really like to drive (larger, slow and lazy). Diesel is out, I only do about 8k pa, but that includes several 600 mile round trips and (hopefully) one 2500 foreign round trip.

I've seen this on HJ adverts and really fancy it. I've spoken to the dealer and it sonds a good genuine car, taken in as p/x by the lady owner who bought it from them 7 years ago (she wantd a higher car and bought a SUV from them). Described as entirely genuine, fsh, etc.

Any thoughts?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/details?id=4704...4

It's a couple of hundred quid over the guide price, but I'm happy to pay that for a genuine car.

Are these chain or belt cam?

Mazda 6 2.0 auto - Kid in a sweet shop - SLO76

It's a couple of hundred quid over the guide price, but I'm happy to pay that for a genuine car.

Are these chain or belt cam?

You're not kidding Joe. You can pick up tidy low mileage Mk I's this age privately and through the ring for £1,000 and an auto box lessens this. The dealer won't have paid more than £1,000. You can get a very decent Mk II for this sort of money... not good value but these are good cars under £2,000 which is the real value of this. It's chain driven by the way. Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170906902...4 Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170907908...3

Edited by SLO76 on 13/10/2017 at 18:32

Mazda 6 2.0 auto - Kid in a sweet shop - badbusdriver

Saw this, seems much better value

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171012020...1

Also this private sale

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171008008...1

Thanks for the comments - shows, I suppose, why kids shouldn't be left alone in a sweet shop!

Have done a couple of runs in current car over last couple of days - running just fine. Think I'd better stay out of sweet shop for time being.

(SLO - the second ad you linked to - £13k, 500k miles, 2005? Somebody pulling somebody's pl****r?)

Mazda 6 2.0 auto - Kid in a sweet shop - SLO76
"SLO - the second ad you linked to - £13k, 500k miles, 2005? Somebody pulling somebody's pl****r?)"

Weird... sure that was £1,400 and 50k when I looked at it.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/10/2017 at 18:17

Mazda 6 2.0 auto - Kid in a sweet shop - pd

I can only really concurr. Old Mazda 6s are about as popular with buyers as detailed audit of their self assessment tax return.

It's a shame as they're decent, reliable old lumps but like the Mondeo they share a fair bit with no one wants to pay proper money for one.

The auto likes a drink and is expensive to tax so arguably even harder to shift.

I can only really concurr. Old Mazda 6s are about as popular with buyers as detailed audit of their self assessment tax return.

It's a shame as they're decent, reliable old lumps but like the Mondeo they share a fair bit with no one wants to pay proper money for one.

The auto likes a drink and is expensive to tax so arguably even harder to shift.

I think it is a shame. As I get older, of course, 05 seems recent to me! I tend to think that this era of cars - and japanese especially - was a bit of a peak. Developed, but not so much that an electronic glitch led to write-off.

A 2.0 n/a petrol seems a reasonable size engine for a cruiser, especially nowadays when it's so easy to lose your licence for speed. Many years ago in the job I had a Mondeo 2.0 auto with blues and twos and I never found it too slow.

I look at many modern cars with engines 1.0 upwards, turbos and all. Power outputs are high. My old xtype has 130 bhp (or did when it was new, goodness knows what it is now). I have rarely pushed it to its limit. 15 years ago, I bought a new Citroen Xsara, 1.4, 75 bhp. It performed more than adequately for me and often above speed limits (blues and twos).

I am wary of modern small capacity engines and (I think) would only consider them in a car on a lease or PCP where they were always under warranty.

I recently had cause to dive two new Clios (hire cars). One was (I think) the 0.9 turbo, the oyher a 1.0 or 1.2 n/a. The turbo had plenty of go but was a b**gger to drive smoothly at lower sppeds, the n/a was a bit gutless but would go when driven hard. Neither were relaxing or comfortable drives. An 05 Mazda 6 would have been better.

The more I read of modern cars with problems, the less I am inclined to buy one. I don't need a lot of the cr*p they come with - I can tell if it;s raining so I switch the wipers on, I can tell when it's dark so I switch the lights on, I check my tyre pressures, etc. - and the last thing I need is electronic junk mandated for people who ...

Sorry, rant by grumpy old f**t over!

That sounds more reasonable ...

I could quite fancy an 05 2.0 auto, despite age (car's not mine) and cost of running. But following my recent experience of breakdown in France I would want something I could get rescue cover on. My cover goes up to 15 years, but many firms don't.

Looking at cost to change (for anything, let alone for a comparable standard) versus cost of keeping mine going I am, no doubt, best to keep going as at present, with regular prognosis discussions with my indy. It goes in for oil change and check up at least every 6 months so hopefully signs of impending major doom can be spotted.

Mazda 6 2.0 auto - Kid in a sweet shop - Avant

Yes, that's the point, isn't it - impending doom means scrapping it, but meanwhile the good old Jaguar is worth much more to you than it is in the market. You're looking after it with 6-monthly oil changes, and as an ex-policeman you know how to drive it.

Maybe save up for something newer: when the time comes, and if you want a car of similar size, a petrol Mazda 6 or Honda Accord sounds like the way to go.

Mazda 6 2.0 auto - Kid in a sweet shop - Happy Blue!

" Diesel is out, I only do about 8k pa, but that includes several 600 mile round trips and (hopefully) one 2500 foreign round trip."

Joe, I reckon you are perfect candidate for a diesel. Low mileage but long trips means you can buy a higher mileage well specced car with good history and get great value. Perfect E-class country...