Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - Mike2828

Hello there everyone!

Im looking for some advice on the Mk2 Ford Focus's. I am looking to purchase one soon and need to understand a few things.

At the moment i am looking at the 1.6Tdci diesel Titanium in the reigon of £5500. I was very focused on diesel as i do alot of mileage per year, around 12,000 a year, i do mainly motorway driving with some around town, i travel around 30-40 miles every other day up the motorway so felt this would be a better option for me, baring in mind im only 21 so need to keep insurance down.

However i have been reading some posts about the diesels and starting to get worried as this model around 2010 has alot of possible diesel issues i.e DPF, injectors etc. I have always driven petrol cars from starting to drive but now want something econmical, reliable and affordable.

Alot of people i speak to say the 1.6 petrol engine is really good for MPG and alot cheaper and less to maintain than the diesel engines. I dont think i would go for a 1.8 diesel because of the insurance.

So my question is, which model and engine should i go for, i like the idea of petrol for cost sakes and less hassle motoring but i really want a diesel for the MPG.

If anyone has either of these engines of this model please let me know what you think is best. I really am in two minds and cant decide what to do. I have even looked at Fiesta Zetec S 1.6Tdci as they dont have the DPF if im correct in saying this.

I woud happily take the 1.6 petrol but dont know how good they are on fuel!

Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you

Mike

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - gordonbennet

A read of this thread might be worth a day of your time.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

If you click the relative item at the bottom left of this link

www.assuredperformance.ie/

carbon build up in PSA Diesels, it will show you in pictures and explanation what you could, most owners it must be said don't, be getting into if you happen to buy one that had a missed service or two, or leaking injector seals, same engine as in Focus.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/02/2017 at 13:57

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - Mike2828
Thank you mate, some key points in there! :)

Edited by Mike2828 on 21/02/2017 at 14:31

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - RobJP

12,000 miles a year is not a lot of miles.

You'd be surprised just how little extra a petrol variant would cost to run. When you look at how much you'd save in the purchase price, the breakeven point will probably be 5 years or more - and that assume you don't get any of the diesel-related problems, which can wipe out any fuel savings in an instant.

General wisdom these days is to make a diesel viable you need to be doing at least 15k miles per annum.

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - skidpan

General wisdom these days is to make a diesel viable you need to be doing at least 15k miles per annum.

We had the BMW 118d for just over 5 years and 37,000 miles. Taking into account all our costs, purchase price and trade in we saved about £2500.

We had the Ceed CRDi for 5 years and 38,000 miles. Taking all the costs into acount again we saved over £2000.

Both cars were nice to drive, their petrol equivalents were slugs despite have the same (or even more BHP).

But with the availability of modern small petrol turbos you get a better drive than a diesel, almost the same mpg and no DPF to worry about. I have calculated taking all the factors into acount I have saved about £1500 over 4 years with the petrol Leon.

Guess which type of engine I will buy form now on.

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - RobJP

Oh, I agree skidpan - but very notably, I believe you bought the 118d and the Ceed from new.

Just as we had our 118d from new(well, pre-reg with 9 miles on it), and I bought the 325d with 3k miles on the clock. Technically, my usage isn't really ideal for a DPF these days, I'm down to about 12-13k per annum. But it gets plenty of proper runs, as well as the short trips too, so I'm not that concerned.

A completely different matter to buying a 7-10 year old diesel that's done lots of miles, and has plenty of wear on those expensive parts.

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - SLO76
The Focus is a great car, excellent to drive, cheap to buy and there's plenty of choice. The PSA 1.6 diesel is a however a flawed design that I wouldn't recommend to you. It's highly likely to go wrong and almost guaranteed to cost far more over your ownership than the much simpler and vastly more robust Yamaha designed Zetec SE 1600 petrol which is one of the best used cars on the market.

Another good option is the Mazda 3 which shares the same floorpan and suspension but uses Mazda's own bulletproof petrol engines. Again these also use the PSA 1600 diesel so keep clear of the diesel. Good thing about these is they're chain driven and therefore there's no timing belt to worry about unlike the Focus.

Oh, I agree skidpan - but very notably, I believe you bought the 118d and the Ceed from new.

Only bought new cars since 1978. Used to buy 2 years old and keep 2 years but in 1978 decided to buy new and keep 4 years. My motoring costs plumeted and I had perfect reliabilty. Every 2 year old car was a money pit within 12 months, even one I bought off my dad!!!!!

Since then my length of ownership has varied between 3 years and 7 1/2 years but in those 39 years I have had 10 new cars which averages out at 3.9 years/car.

I am sure 2 years old cars are better than they used to be but why buy one when new ones have proven to have cost me less.

Now I am retired I intend to swap every 3 years. They don't put pockets in shrouds.

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - bazza

I can't possibly see how buying new and keeping for only about 3 years has been cheaper for you? A 2 year old car is effectively like new if bought well, I think you've been unlucky. But I can understand the general wisdom that a well purchased brand new car can prove very cost effective if held on to for several years.

I've never bought new but will try and work out my depreciation costs of all the cars I've owned plus any major expenses, it might be a fun calculation!

By the way OP, we have a 60 reg 1.6 Focus petrol, it's averaged about 40mpg since we had it, a bit more on a run and a bit less in town in winter. In 5 years it has needed 2 headlight bulbs and routine servicing.

Edited by bazza on 21/02/2017 at 19:15

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - Engineer Andy
The Focus is a great car, excellent to drive, cheap to buy and there's plenty of choice. The PSA 1.6 diesel is a however a flawed design that I wouldn't recommend to you. It's highly likely to go wrong and almost guaranteed to cost far more over your ownership than the much simpler and vastly more robust Yamaha designed Zetec SE 1600 petrol which is one of the best used cars on the market. Another good option is the Mazda 3 which shares the same floorpan and suspension but uses Mazda's own bulletproof petrol engines. Again these also use the PSA 1600 diesel so keep clear of the diesel. Good thing about these is they're chain driven and therefore there's no timing belt to worry about unlike the Focus.

I quite agree, but then I'm biased as I own (11 years/60k miles [I know, not that many miles] from new and going strong) a Mazda3 1.6 petrol engined car. Just gave it its bi-monthly Italian tune up on the way home from work - revs all the way up to 6000rpm without any bother and still does an average of 40mpg over mixed mileage (reasonably light footed) driving.

If the OP does a reasonable amount of mileage per year (mine has been quite variable, some years [as now] reasonable, not very low), then cars with that engine (the mk1 or 2) should be fine overall - its only when it sits around on the drive for extended periods that problems develop - brakes binding and discs warping. Nothing really other than that, except check for rust on older models. Newer mk2s would probably be find in that regard.

As with any older cars, get a test drive and check it drives ok on a range of roads - pulls away (clutch) and stops (brakes) well, no smoke from the exhaust after startup/use of the throttle (hard). To be honest, the Ford with the same size petrol engine (not sure if they are the same or not - the 1.6 diesel [of doom] definitely is) is probably fine too and has a bigger boot on the hatch version than the Mazda3. Drove one once as a hire car for work when they first came out and was greatly impressed - far better interior quality than the Focus mk1 and good to drive. I actually prefer the looks (inside and out) of it (and its later variant) to the 2011 onwards models.

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - Fishermans Bend

Buy new, keep three years, greatest money pit going. Neighbour used to do it, thought it cheap motoring. His wife bought several years old Japanese, kept a few years then repeated. Her motoring cost was far, far less than her husband's. Husband now does same as wife. Money saved paying off mortage far faster than before.

Each to their own.

Man maths influences lots of motoring choices, women probably have their own versions of this phenomenon.

I don't think you will ever beat genuine bangernomics for cheap motoring, but its not a plan for everyone because we all like different things, have different budgets priorities pleasures and personalities.

Some enjoy new car owning regularly and the best of luck to them, some enjoy spending £350 tops on a car and see how many years they can get out of it without spending more than a packet of fags on the thing during its time with them, and a whole host of different car ownership methods in between.

As said each to their own, none are wrong methods, some more expensive than others, but again as said, you can't take it with you.

If there is a wrong method its getting hooked into buying cars that are really beyond one's means and getting into debt to do so.

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - veloceman
Indeed.
The thought of driving Jap cars for the rest of my driving days to save a few quid doesn't bear thinking about.
I haven't given up on life yet!
Indeed. The thought of driving Jap cars for the rest of my driving days to save a few quid doesn't bear thinking about.

Couldn't agree more, we drive them because they are totally reliable, very well engineered, a pleasure to work on and good to drive.

:-)

"The thought of driving Jap cars for the rest of my driving days to save a few quid doesn't bear thinking about"

Plenty of fun Japanese metal about.
Big fan of both and I've owned, bought and sold a fair number. Most recent was a 55 plate Mazda 3 1.6 I took in part ex against an Astra. I supplied the car 6yrs earlier and it has caused not a moments bother in 117,000 miles and counting as its new owner is still delighted according to a recent email. A fantastic car for the £650 she paid for it.

Although they share many components and 1.6 Diesel engines, the petrol units are entirely different. The Focus uses the Yamaha designed Zetec SE in 1.4 and 1.6 petrol and Ford's older Zetec 1.8 and 2.0 which are tough but thirstier and not as sweet revving as the smaller engines. There's a barnstormer Volvo 2.5 5cyl turbo if you have deep pockets. All of them are belt driven.

Mazda use their own excellent 16v twin cams. The 1.4 is gutless but the 1.6 is fit enough for most users and pretty much matches the 1.6 Focus for performance and economy. They're all chain driven which saves a few quid and a bit of worry but means they must have fresh oil every year to keep the chain silent and healthy. Rust as you say is the big worry as with all Mazda's they do rot but later facelifted cars are better and £5k will buy a very nice one.

I'd favour the Mazda just for the slightly better interior quality and better gearchange (in my opinion) but it's all down to condition and history between these two, they're both brilliant in almost every way.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/02/2017 at 19:59

Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - veloceman
Yes, feeling a bit sheepish now as I forgot I owned a new Suzuki Swift Gti in '89. Brilliant!
Yes, feeling a bit sheepish now as I forgot I owned a new Suzuki Swift Gti in '89. Brilliant!

Loved them. Daihatsu Charade 1.0 GTti was a scream too.
Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - Fishermans Bend

Loved them. Daihatsu Charade 1.0 GTti was a scream too.

Brilliant little hot hatch, supposed to have sounded like a mini 911. I think the scrappage scheme exterminated them, a travesty.

"Brilliant little hot hatch, supposed to have sounded like a mini 911. I think the scrappage scheme exterminated them, a travesty."

They did. We had a few through our hands in the 90's but all were hammered to within an inch of their lives. They just inspired you to drive hard everywhere.

There was a mint one on car and classics a while back for £8k if you're keen and have way too much money.
Ford Focus Mk2 Hatchback - Advice On Which Car To Buy - RichardW

I wouldn't advocate anyone buying a 16V 1.6 PSA /Ford diesel unless it has full main dealer history (ie the correct oil!) they know what they are doing / can DIY / have a good indy on hand(*). But I don't get the 15k /year for diesel either. On a quick calc, the 1.6 diesel at 50mpg vs a 1.6 petrol at 35mpg for 12k miles will save over £600 a year. The prices for Focii seem to be all over the place, but the diesel price premium is looking like about £500. So over say 5 years you'd be 2.5 grand up - more than enough to cover any problems the may arise on the diesel - in all likelihood you'll be 1.5 grand to the good.

£5.5k looks to be enough to buy a 2011 Focus which should have the later less troublesome 8V engine (I know SL076 doesn't like it, but I am still to find more than 2 examples of turbo failure on this engine).

* 2 hours labour after you buy it to remove the filter from the turbo feed (this alone will save the turbo). If it gunges up, another 2 hours to remove the sump and rip out the strainer from the oil pick up. Probably need a set of injector seals at around 100k, which can be £500 depending on whether they will come out. EGR valve sometimes gives trouble but is remarkably easy to change on this engine, and can be had for <£100. Cambelt is 10 years / 150k, although will probably be noisy and need doing by 100k.

My business was located across the road from a busy railway station with a large 24hr taxi rank right at my door thus the reason why I often talk of taxi drivers experiences and opinions of particular cars and engines.

The garage I use for older cars and trade vehicles is also very popular among the local drivers so I hear all their woes and moans, they do like a good moan. The 1.6 PSA is hated by all who've tried to taxi them. Economical and gutsy when running but tends to implode around 70-80,000 miles, even the later 8v variant which still has a nasty habit of carbonising and clogging its turbo oil feed thanks to the location of said pipe work.

Mention that you're looking at one to any of the drivers or mechanics I know and all will tell you to avoid it at all costs. Yes you could get lucky, yes a perfectly maintained car will have more of a chance but the failure rate on these engines is almost epidemic when used for the higher mileages diesels are typically bought for.

As a trader I won't touch one, none of the local taxi trade use them anymore and my mechanic couldn't be more negative about them if one landed on his foot. Honestly keep clear.

If you must have a diesel at this money then a Ford Fiesta with the older gen 1.4 PSA diesel is a hardy engine that will do 60mpg plus easy enough. A pre 2011 Kia Cee'd 1.6 diesel without a DPF and the 1.7 Isuzu in some Astras are both worthies too and all three are vastly more robust than the 1.6 PSA.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/02/2017 at 14:19

I can't possibly see how buying new and keeping for only about 3 years has been cheaper for you?

Well if you had read my post you would see I had actually averged about 4 years since the late 70's.

The simple, easy to understand figure has been the monthly repayment. On a 2 year old used car my monthly repayement over 2 years was slightly less than my monthly repayment over 4 years on a new car. but wheras with the used car I was spending money on repairs quite regularly with a new car purchase I have not had to spend a penny other than tyres and servicing.

So my monthly outgoings were very similar, probably even less.

And far less time is taken up visiting garages.