Honda/CRV - Brake Disc thickness - charlotte kimber

Dear all,

I've just bought a 63 plate honda cr-v with 19k miles. Tucked in the glove box was the multi-point check form.

Can someone who understands these things better than me please help explain the brake disc measurements:

NSF Pads - 10 Discs - 27.21

OSF Pads - 10 Discs - 27.27

NSR Pads - 10 Discs - 7.82

OSR Pads - 10 Discs - 7.91

Does this mean the rears are wearing low? Is it something I should raise with the dealer?

Thanks!

Honda/CRV - Brake Disc thickness - gordonbennet

The rear discs will be unvented, the fronts vented hence much thicker.

I do not have the data abouyt minimum brake disc thickness for a CRV, but as a general guide have a look see and feel of the wear ridges on the outer edge, and at the inner friction contact area, of each disc.

Usually you will feel a ridge with your finger nail, this ridge has to be very pronounced before the discs are worn enough to need changing, often enough the discs get changed because they are scored badly or have started to pit or even have chunks missing in extreme cases through corrosion, this is sometimes found on the rear facings of rear discs that have been on many years.

As a rough guide i expect to get through two sets of pads worn out with a single set of front discs, but often find the rear discs need changing by the time the first set of pads is worn out, often through time deterioration not wear on an average mileage vehicle.

I expect there is several years wear in both sets of discs on your car, and that really is a very thorough check list to include disc measuring, i'm impressed.

Nice car by the way, my son and DiL have one same year, very happy with it too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/12/2016 at 21:45

Honda/CRV - Brake Disc thickness - SLO76
Good choice. We've had a 64 plate 1.6 diesel from new and it's a well made spacious big family wagon.

The rear discs are thinner than the front from new as the bulk of braking effort is done by the front brakes. From memory discard for front discs is recommended at 23mm and rear is 7.5mm but they could last for a long time yet depending on driving style. I'd still mention it though... you don't ask you don't get.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/12/2016 at 21:53

Honda/CRV - Brake Disc thickness - Falkirk Bairn

I have the older model CRV & it has had 4 Honda Franchise services. The brakes do not get any real attention @ services - a squirt of brake cleaner at best.

Every 2 years I have the brakes stripped, greased & the handbrake (drumbrake inside the disk) cleaned and adjusted manually. It takes 45 mins to an hour.

I do not know how much your garage would charge BUT my local Indie takes £50.

With previous cars I have little if any brake issues that can be expensive - sticking pistons, scoring brake disks etc etc are avoided by preventative maintenance.

£50+ for TLC is a lot cheaper than scored disks, sticking pads & wonky calipers - a set of front pads & disks for a CRV is over £200 + fitting for genuine parts..

Honda/CRV - Brake Disc thickness - gordonbennet

A very well spent £50 too, not just for the safety aspect of seeing any potential problems long before they can cause an issue, but for a long service life of all parts especially the expensive calipers which can seize in time if not looked after properly, looked after like this they will usually last the life of the vehicle.

However, the drum inside disc design fitted to CRV (found on many good cars and almost trouble free) is far superior, IMHO and for several reasons, to self adjusting rear caliper disc parking brakes...oh and infinitely preferable to any EPB :-)

Honda/CRV - Brake Disc thickness - Andrew-T

But would a disk check measure to hundredths of a millimetre? Really? And how many points would be measured?

Edited by Andrew-T on 14/12/2016 at 09:58