Mini - Car damaged in garage, should I notify insurer? - becca86
Hi all

So my mini went in for a routine tyre change at protyre on Saturday. When the alloy was being removed the air pipe sheered off (with a metal clip still attached) and severely damaged my car - the windscreen is smashed, there is damage to the entire passenger side and roof and the plastic trim on the passenger side has been shattered.

Protyre have been pretty good, they arranged a hire car and have obviously said they will pay for all repairs and costs incurred during the time I'm without my car.

My question is, do I need to inform my insurer? I know it's a non-fault claim but I've read that even this can bump your premiums up when it's time to renew. As it was damage which happened when the car was in the garage rather than an accident involving another vehicle I'm unsure whether I need to report it?

Thanks in advance,

Becca.
Mini - Car damaged in garage, should I notify insurer? - FP

My understanding is that you do need to report it to your insurers, as there is most probably a clause somewhere in the small print saying that all "incidents" (or whatever word is used) must be reported. And yes, maybe your premiums will rise as a result.

You say, "I know it's a non-fault claim ...", but in fact you are not claiming. You still need to report it.

Mini - Car damaged in garage, should I notify insurer? - becca86
Thank you for the advice. I've logged it with my insurers, they said it's notes on the system as 'information' rather than a non-fault.