Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - lucklesspedestrian

Hi

Yesterday an elderly lady forgot the basic law of physics that 2 objects cannot simultaneously occupy the same region of space/time and bashed into our Mondeo whilst I was stationary waiting to move ahead (funnily enough to get round an earlier accident!)

She was a nice old dear of the old school and admitted liability. My dilemma is what do do re claiming on the insurance. My own insurers Admiral fobbed me off onto a claims handling company called Albany Assistance promising my NCB would be protected that way. A quick google seems to suggest that they are a bunch of shysters who make money by providing vastly inflated car hire which I might then have to pay for if the other party changes her mind and denies liability (my adult daughter did witness the whole thing). The also apprently will want me to sign a credit agreement which I don't fancy.

My car is drivable and I only want a courtesy car when the 2 affected panels are being repaired (wing bashed, front drivers door scraped). I have no real desire to line the pockets of a bunch of parasites who seem to be contributing to the ever increasing cost of insurance and just want the car repaired quickly and cheaply.

There seems to be a school of thought that the best way to proceed in these situations is to contact the 3rd party's insurance company directly (Vauxhall Ins in this case) and get them to arrange assessment and repair, the rational being that they are highly motivated to keep costs down to a min. I plan to phone them when they open tomorrow morning to see what they say.

Just wondering what the good folks on this forum would advise?

Thanks in advance

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - Ethan Edwards

That's exactly what I did when I was driven into while stationary. His insurer Direct Line repaired my Yaris Hybrid perfectly. I refused a hire car for two reasons. One I refused to sign any credit hire agreement like you. And second I had access to another car. Took about four days. And the other party was my neighbours elderly father.

Previously on hire cars I have ended up filling it with fuel which I didn't end up using and I was worried about getting it scuffed car park door dings etc and being charged for repairs.

Even so one Yaris new wing cost overall a tad under 1300 quid. Good on you for trying to keep costs down. You can drive the process you really don't need these assistance companies.

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - gordonbennet

Yes absolutely do this, when its a cut and dried case the 3rd party insurer will bend over backwards to sort things out to your convenience.

You are right to avoid accident management spivs.

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - brum

Unfortunately having contacted Admiral you will now face a higher premium regardless of who handles the claim/repair or ncd protection. You will now also have a claim record which might affect you if moving insurer.

In these situations contacting the third party insurer first and only them is the only way to avoid an increase.

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - FP

"... contacting the third party insurer first and only them is the only way to avoid an increase."

My understanding is that the insurer of your vehicle must be informed, whether or not you make a claim.

Edited by FP on 13/03/2016 at 20:27

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - Galaxy

The TP insurer will contact your own insurer, anyway, as part of the claim process. For this reason you've nothing whatsoever to lose by not telling your own insurer about the accident; you are supposed to inform them, anyway, as part of your policy conditions.

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - jgrahampo

you can make clear to your insurer it is fornotification purpose only. I have just gone through this. Phoned the other parties insurer (Privelidge) who collected my car the next day for assesor to view.

I told my insurer Direct Line who said no increase.

The body shop man made me aware that in lieu of a hire car (I didnt need one) that I could claim £10 day which amounted to £250 so worth it.

My car was written off with a more than fair valuation and I was allowed to buy the car back for £155 I think for around £300 it will be back on the road.

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - Falkirk Bairn

You were luckier than I. Both Direct Line & Privilege are the same company & sorted you out without issue/ delay.

I was stationary @ red lights - there was the car behind me when a 3rd car hit No2 who hit me.

Both cars insured by Aviva - one a claims office in Glasgow (private car ins), the other was Aviva (Motor dealer Policy) in Leeds.

Neither of the 2 drivers were very cooperative / truthful - Aviva offices strung matters out for nearly 2 years - damage to my car was £1,200 (2 weeks old) and my lawyer's bill was some £1,000 - settled on the eve of the court hearing. They did not offer a hire car as neither office wanted to pay (eventually did hire a car). Final cheque covered the accident cost, legal cost and my out of pocket costs + my time @ £30+ per hour.

Mondeo Mk 4 - Accident, best way to claim from insurance? - lucklesspedestrian

Well that went well.

3rd party insurers were only to happy to deal with me directly and the old dear was true to her word and admitted liability.

My only concern is now, given that the Mondy is a 2007 with 120K on the clock, they might write it off which would be really annoying as I've just had an oil/filter change, put a new air filter in it and a full tank of the good stuff...it's running like a dream! (also just had the timing belt/water pump done about 5K ago!). I'll speak to their repairers tomorrow.

They did however say that if that was the case then they would give me the car, the lower ahem, 'scrap' value and I could then have it fixed up much cheaper at my local bodyshop (front wing a bit bashed, door behind wing superficial scrapes)

Thanks for all the replies though and I'll post to let you know how it all turns out.

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 14/03/2016 at 19:58