Vauxhall Vectra C - Hesitating and cutting out when driving - superad

Please help before a garage takes money off me.

My petrol vvti is an 07 with 60k on clock. It hesites whilst driving when cold and has cut out twice at 30mph pulling away from roundabouts. It idles fine. It sounds a bit blowey to me but that could be the exhaust on its way out.

It's just had a big service Inc plugs and fuel filter, it was doing this prior to its service but the mechanic who serviced it thought the car was running OK.

Seems fine once it's warmed up, get the odd vibration coming through the car when accelerating which it never used to do.

Any ideas please?

Vauxhall Vectra C - Hesitating and cutting out when driving - Railroad.
There could be any number of possible causes, but I'd start by checking inlet manifold vacuum. This will tell you a lot about the engine. Other likely causes could be a faulty coolant temperature sensor, MAP sensor or crankshaft sensor. Or low fuel pressure, sticking EGR valve or faulty O2 sensor, which can be checked by reading live data with a suitable scantool.

The garage can't find anything wrong with this although it is obvious it's got something wrong. I don't think they looked very hard though. It now hesitates when hot and cold. They plugged it into diagnostics and nothing showing.

They said they could change the MAF but I could be throwing money away.

Isit possible to check the MAF and fuel pump?

Vauxhall Vectra C - Hesitating and cutting out when driving - Cyd

What engine do you have? you don't say.

It's a 1800 petrol vvti, can't remember the name of it but its the latest one they made for the vectra.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Hesitating and cutting out when driving - Cyd

Sorry, I don't recognise v v t i (or is it w t i) as being GM - vvti is a Toyota nomenclature. I thought it was known as Family 1 Ecotec? Perhaps someone can help?

It is probably the same base engine as my Saab though. Mine is a B207R, 2.0T.

Have a COLD and a HOT compression test carried out. Cold it should be getting around 140psi. If you're getting 100psi or less cold but improved when hot, then you have worn inlet valves.

Does it start and run like a bag of nails for about 10 or 20 seconds and then as it warms up it settles down and runs fine?? This is th emain symptom of worn inlet valves and is well documented, esp in the US. GM had qualitty problems with inlet valves during 06 and 07 model years.

My Aero suffers this with only 70psi cold compression on 1 & 3 !! There is no measurable power loss when thoroughly warm though, so I've not yet bothered to spend the £700 or so required to have the head rebuilt. Apparently it will become really difficult to start when the cold compression drops to 40psi or less.

Try cleaning the throttle body and butterfly. Might help the cutting out. Makes a world of difference on mine. Go gently with th ecleaner though - spray onto a toothbrush or rag rather than swamping the throttle body. You can get carb cleaner real cheap from Toolstation or from Halfords for a bit more.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Hesitating and cutting out when driving - RT

The GM Family 0 engines cover the capacity range 1.0-1.4, Family 1 covers 1.0-1.8, with Family 2 covering 1.6 - 2.4

Vvti stands for variable valve. I might just get the throttle body cleaned and see if that helps.