BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - sprucebruce

My neighbour had CCTV images of my cleaner's car making a 6 inch long scratch/mark on the left rear side bumber of their 4 year old BMW 318. Our cleaner admitted liability but not wishing to go through her insurance company settled the matter directly. I've just found out the neighbours asked her for £420 (which she has paid) for what looks like a £100 repair. I don't really want to be involved but this seems like extortion and I think they've milked it but going to the BMW garage whose eyes lit up when they knew it was insurance/third party. Does anyone have any suggestions, aside getting a copy of the invoice, on how to challenge this as I feel as though my cleaner has been, well, taken to the cleaners?

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - RobJP

The only thing that YOUR CLEANER can do is ask for a copy of the invoice, so check that actual costs match those paid for.

However, if the neighbour had wanted to go through insurance, and claiming off the cleaner's insurance, costs would end up far more than that, when increased premiums, etc were taken into consideration.

Add to which the fact that you cleaner can be shown to have been dishonest by waiting to be 'caught' by the CCTV before admitting liability (which is actually a criminal offence of failing to inform the other party after an accident, covered under the Road Traffic Act (I believe)), then I'd suggest it is your cleaner's best interests to let the matter lie, and for you not to get involved.

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - Wolfan

The only thing that YOUR CLEANER can do is ask for a copy of the invoice, so check that actual costs match those paid for.

However, if the neighbour had wanted to go through insurance, and claiming off the cleaner's insurance, costs would end up far more than that, when increased premiums, etc were taken into consideration.

Add to which the fact that you cleaner can be shown to have been dishonest by waiting to be 'caught' by the CCTV befinvolvedore admitting liability (which is actually a criminal offence of failing to inform the other party after an accident, covered under the Road Traffic Act (I believe)), then I'd suggest it is your cleaner's best interests to let the matter lie, and for you not to get involved.

Absolutely right, there are far too many people prepared to drive off after having damaged somebody's car, your cleaner is lucky the police weren't involved. If I were youI would be concerned about employing somebody who has been proven to be dishonest, keep an eye on your valuables.

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - Galaxy

Absolutely right, there are far too many people prepared to drive off after having damaged somebody's car, your cleaner is lucky the police weren't involved. If I were youI would be concerned about employing somebody who has been proven to be dishonest, keep an eye on your valuables.

I think that's jumping the gun!

You are assuming that this chap's cleaner knew they had damaged another car. If the damage was extremely minor, which the OP suggests was, indeed, the case, the chances are that the cleaner wasn't even aware that damage had been caused.

You can't be prosecuted for causing damage to another vehicle that you were unaware of.

As for the police, well, from my own experience in the past where my own car has been damaged by someone else's vehicle, they don't want to know!

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - Wolfan

Edited by Wolfan on 18/09/2015 at 19:58

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - Galaxy

I doubt if there's anything you can do, to be honest. If your neighbour went to a BMW dealer, which, of course they are perfectly entitled to do, then I'm not surprised the repair cost £420. I expect their insurance/third party jobs start at £300, regardless of what needs doing.

Did your cleaner see the quotation before the repairs going ahead? If so they could have asked your neighbour to obtain a couple more quotes from different car repairers? Did your cleaner actually see the receipt for the £420, so do you know this was the amount the repairs actually cost? Edit............I've just read you haven't seen the invoice. Bad move, I'm afraid; were it me I wouldn't have paid out a penny until I'd seen it because it's really your cleaner's money, so they should at the very least have a copy of it.

I'm afraid that, at the end of the day, if your neighbour did, indeed, pay £420 for repairs then I can't really see how they are ripping your cleaner off. It's just claiming what they've already paid out.

Could they have got the work done cheaper? Well, I would say almost certainly "Yes!" but it's too late to travel down that road now that the work has already been carried out and paid for. It's always best to shop around for this kind of work; the BMW dealer may-well have farmed-it-out, anyway. Main dealers often do.

Others on here may possibly be able to offer better advice but, I'm afraid, from where I'm sitting, I don't believe there's very much you can do. But I do well understand you not being very happy about it.

Edited by Galaxy on 18/09/2015 at 12:25

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - Simon

On reflection, maybe she should have let her insurers deal with it.

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - sprucebruce

As said, I don't want to get involved and agree with what you say and I'm staying well out of it. I told my cleaner she was naive paying without seeing an invoice but have told her to get one! Three weeks on, no sign of the repair, let alone an invoice... it's not as though they travel either; car rarely leaves the carpark!

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - Avant

I'd leave well alone if I were you. The cleaner doesn't deserve much sympathy if she didn't own up to it straight away: but in any case if the neighbour went to his BMW dealer even a 6-inch scratch could easily cost £420 to repair, espcially if the car has metallic paint.

The only way to get it done for less would have been to call in one of thr mobile dent / scratch repair people, but your neighbour was under no obligation to do that.

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - Manatee

Daughter scraped a corner of their car a few months ago and got it done by Dent Doctor of similar for £140, and it was a good job; but in fairness when somebody else has damaged it you want it put back as perfectly as possible to ow it was, not done as cheaply as possible and running the risk that it will be less than first class.

I think I might have insisted on a proper body shop too. In fact I would probably have gone straight for the insurer to avoid the possibility of them not coughing up.

£420 is not unexpected if it's gone to a body shop - although it wouldn't be totally surprising if a BMW dealer had got the Dent Doctor in anyway.

BMW 1 Series - Bumper repair - third party extortion - hillman

The damage done by the cleaners to the BMW is considerably less than the many supermarket scratches on my car. I once saw a man drive off like fury when he saw me walking up. When I looked at our car the damage he'd done was obvious but not worrying.