Vectra 2.2 ICU - steveb
Please could someone let me know where the Ignition Control Unit is on the 2.2 Petrol Vectra engine. Obviously there are problems with this unit. Anyone who's had one fail - were there any prior symptoms, or was it a case of oh dear ? What was the mileage at failure etc ?

Presumably this is covered under the standard 3 year warranty ?

Cheers,

Steve
Vectra 2.2 ICU - Dan J
I sure can Steve.

If you open the bonnet and look at the top of the engine, you'll spot, along the visible top of the engine, a "heat sink" on the right hand side - this is the ignition control unit. If you need a clearer explanation you'll have to wait until it's lighter and I've got a few less beers in me!

Yes - mine failed and there was no warning whatsoever. Simply started the car one morning and it took longer to start and was immediately obviously only firing on 3 cylinders, and not doing that very well. Definitely a case of "oh dear".

My car is only on 29k now and I'm guessing it was probably about 24k when it went. The AA guy who towed it into the dealership commented he'd towed a load of 2.2's in because of this issue and had actually had the same problem with the brand new Saab which shares the engine. I hadn't even seen one of these Saabs at this point! It was actually me who told HJ about this - he went and confirmed and there it sits in the CBC.

I never had problems with distributor caps and rotor arms - I thought the point of these electronic ignitions was to be completely reliable and maintenance free!

Not having probs with yours are you Steve?

Dan J
Vectra 2.2 ICU - Dan J
Didn't read the post properly did I :)

Yes - it was covered under the Vauxhall 3 year warranty although my Vx dealer didn't have one in stock and it took 3 days to get one. No doubt less time than some Volkswagen owners are waiting though...
Vectra 2.2 ICU - steveb
Thanks for the info Dan,

I just wonder why this electronic module is placed right on top of the engine, where it will suffer from maximum heat soak, despite having a heat sink etc. Surely could be sited somewhere else ?

No - mine's ok for the moment, on about 27k, just waiting however ! You can bet it will fail at the most inopportune moment ........

Cheers,

Steve
Vectra 2.2 ICU - Dan J
No worries Steve.

I guess it's there due to proximity of spark plugs but it does get extremely (cigarette lighting capabilities) hot!

Mine went three hours before I was due to drive to Manchester Airport for work related activities. The air turned black for several minutes believe you me.

Fingers crossed you won't experience this - I do have a nasty feeling though that the replacements are exactly the same part number. Whether they have been improved or not is anybody's guess...

Dan J