Toyota - Car Insurance Question - Flash2004

Hi,

We have one car in the family which both me and my hubby use. I have comprehensive insurance on the car, with my hubby also added to the insurance. If we get another car in my hubby's name, can I drive it as a third party driver (under my insurance) before we get insurance on the car ?

Legally I can drive any car under my comprehensive insurance policy, so just wanted to check if the car itself should also be covered under insurance even if my hubby won't drive it when we bring it home for the first time ?

Appreciate any advice that the experts can give me here.

Regards,

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - Bromptonaut

Your insurance certificate and policy will describe what vehicles are covered.

If you drive your husband's car as you suggest you are I think, at best, relying on a driving other vehicles extension to your policy. The purpose is to over you in an emergency or for small risks like moving one car to get another out of a tandem driveway.

Operation of those extensions is complex and varies widely from company to company. It is reported that some companies require the 'other' car to be subject to its own policy. Whatever the oddities you will only be covered for basic third party risks.

Much better to get your husband's own policy set up before collecting the new vehicle.

If you're buying from a dealer you may find they offer short term insurance as it makes it easier for then to register/tax the thing.

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - jc2

Why not ask your insurance company?

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - RT

The "new" car will need to be insured in it's own right from day one, under the continuous insurance rules now in place, otherwise it's not allowed on the road! - if that's insured by your husband why not just add you as a nemed driver, then you'll both get fully comp on both cars.

Edited by RT on 30/12/2014 at 12:12

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - skidpan

The "new" car will need to be insured in it's own right from day one, under the continuous insurance rules now in place, otherwise it's not allowed on the road! - if that's insured by your husband why not just add you as a nemed driver, then you'll both get fully comp on both cars.

Perfect answer.

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - martint123

My Drive Other Car has the phrase "not belonging to you or spouse". So you have to read carefully.

You will probably find the insurance will be cheaper with you both on the policy!. I added my brother for "just in case" circumstances and it dropped by £10.

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - Bromptonaut

You will probably find the insurance will be cheaper with you both on the policy!.

Mrs B and I have had that for years. Mirror image cover, both covered for social, domestic and business use on our own or each other's cars. Only difference latterly has been kids (now 20 and 22) can drive mine but not hers.

There's a trap for the unwary in words 'insured and spouse' or similar. A spouse is somebody to whom you are legally married. It doesn't inlude a partner however long his or her standing and the phrase 'common law wife' has no meaning at common (or statute) law.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/12/2014 at 15:45

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - Flash2004

Thanks, for all the insights.. I wasn't aware about the continuous insurance rules. To be on the safer side, I will insure both

Regards,

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - RT

The continuous insurance requirement can be a PITA for those of us responsible enough not to use an uninsured car on the road - but it does enable ANPR to work effectively and highlight uninsured cars being driven on the road, especially as the car is crushed when caught !

Toyota - Car Insurance Question - hillman

“Thanks, for all the insights.. I wasn't aware about the continuous insurance rules. To be on the safer side, I will insure both.”

Flash 2004, Your reply gave me the impression that you personally will insure both cars and will thus be the ‘insured party’ for both. Bromptonaut gave the best answer in the ‘back to back’ policies.