Best time to get rid of your diesel? - daveyK_UK

Hi,

I doubt either of the 2 main parties will talk about the tax increase on diesel cars before the election; but how long after the election can we expect the first announcement?

Surely before the Auumn statement?

Im not normally a conservative voter, but on the whole they have been good to the motorist. Im wondering if they will be fairer to any new proposals.

My memory of 13 years of the previous Labour government was a war on motorists, using motorists as a cash cow. They have said nothing to convince me they have any other intention.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - mss1tw

I'm just keeping mine anyway. The goalposts will always be moved in their favour leaving the motorist playing catch up.

Costs to change, getting an unknown vehicle vs a known one, depreciation...

Don't play their game.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - Bolt

I'm just keeping mine anyway. The goalposts will always be moved in their favour leaving the motorist playing catch up.

Costs to change, getting an unknown vehicle vs a known one, depreciation...

Don't play their game.

I`m doing the same,I bought my diesel because I wanted it, not because of what the government were likely to do tax wise, if your going to worry about what they are going to do you`d buy a bike/electric car but even e/c will be taxed eventually so you cannot win imo

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - gordonbennet

I agree with not playing their game, they encouraged the purchase of small Diesels, now all of a sudden Diesel's evil...does that mean the massive and hugely expensive global warming scare/scam was wrong too in the same timeframe?

Even when they shift the goal posts they're not in concrete, when they bought in the high VED rate for the then crusade of all evil CO2, they backdated the high rate to year 2001, but following noisy protests (and the cynic in me suspects their mates and backers were largely caught up in this) quickly backtracked and set the date as March 2006.

It never usually pays to have a knee jerk reaction, and invariably the car you currently own is the most econimical prospect.

I don't think any one party would be any worse than another, we have a still fast increasing national debt that we have no prospect of paying off, any money they see mr and mrs average have going spare they'll all grab in order to subsidise their hellish vision of utopia, and the motorist clearly has some money to spare look at all the new cars on back order.

Worryingly the current low world oil price is the perfect opportunity for rapid increases in tax.

As for us, we're carrying on with older LPG converted cars and see no reason to change, LPG is cleaner burning too.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - Hamsafar

If they try any tricks on me and my diesel, I'll just switch over to 'gypsy juice' and recoup it that way.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - The23rdman

Global warming scare/scam? They've done a number on you.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - alan1302

Global warming scare/scam? They've done a number on you.

No, it exists - you just don't want to admit the truth.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - balleballe

Doesn't really matter which party is in charge, they're all cut from the same cloth.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - mark999

I would get rid when its uneconomical to repair, especially if the DPF and DMF are on their way out especially. Otherwise the cheapest option is to run it in to the ground.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - RobJP

My 325d estate does 500+ miles to a tankful. Close to 600 if I'm doing big motorway runs northwards and back.

The day a differently engined estate can REALLY do that, rather than in the fantasyland of the 'official' economy tests, I'll change to petrol, or hybrid, or whatever.

Until then, I'll stick with diesel, thanks.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - Bianconeri

My 325d estate does 500+ miles to a tankful. Close to 600 if I'm doing big motorway runs northwards and back.

The day a differently engined estate can REALLY do that, rather than in the fantasyland of the 'official' economy tests, I'll change to petrol, or hybrid, or whatever.

Until then, I'll stick with diesel, thanks.

Taking an average of 550 miles from the 61 litre tank of the BMW and the 7p per litre difference in price you are talking about a medium-sized estate with a petrol engine returning around 38 mpg on a motorway cruise to give you similar costs to your 325d. I would say most would do that.

Let's use fuel prices in my area today for the calculations :

Petrol : 113.9, Diesel : 120.9

Fuel economy on diesel : 45 mpg (which is what I get driving locally. 50 mpg on motorway runs). I usually fill up when the 50 mile range warning comes on (your numbers assume I fill up with a bone-dry tank)

45 mpg = 9.9 miles per litre = 12.21 pence per mile on diesel.

For petrol to give similar costs (12.2 pence per mile), a litre of petrol would need to carry me 9.33 miles, or be doing 42.44 mpg.

For motorway runs (50mpg diesel), diesel is 11.0 miles per litre, or 11.0 pence per mile. Again, a litre of petrol would need to carry me 10.35 miles to match that on costs, or 47mpg.

A bit different to the 38 mpg you calculated.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - Bianconeri

Let's use fuel prices in my area today for the calculations :

Petrol : 113.9, Diesel : 120.9

Fuel economy on diesel : 45 mpg (which is what I get driving locally. 50 mpg on motorway runs). I usually fill up when the 50 mile range warning comes on (your numbers assume I fill up with a bone-dry tank)

45 mpg = 9.9 miles per litre = 12.21 pence per mile on diesel.

For petrol to give similar costs (12.2 pence per mile), a litre of petrol would need to carry me 9.33 miles, or be doing 42.44 mpg.

For motorway runs (50mpg diesel), diesel is 11.0 miles per litre, or 11.0 pence per mile. Again, a litre of petrol would need to carry me 10.35 miles to match that on costs, or 47mpg.

A bit different to the 38 mpg you calculated.

Yes but 550 miles on the 61 litres in a 325d's tank is just shy of 41mpg isn't it?

Yes but 550 miles on the 61 litres in a 325d's tank is just shy of 41mpg isn't it?

As I said : I do NOT wait until my tank is bone dry before filling up.

If I did run my tank dry, then yes, 550 miles on 61 litres would be about that. But I fill up when my car says anywhere from 30-70 miles of range left (so probably 4-7 litres of fuel left). So those 550 miles is being done on 61 litres, LESS the fuel remaining in the tank : so more like 55 litres.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - xtrailman

I personnaly don't vote for any party except UKIP.

Both major tory parties have cost me dearly over the years, niether one delivers what they promise.

Its time for a change, i never voted yes to joining the EU in the first place, but the brain washed public did. So Hitler actually achieved one of his goals, a federal europe.

Best time to get rid of your diesel? - bazza

I can't see diesels being eliminated from cities for a very long time. All commercial vehicles, taxis, lorries, vans are diesel powered. I can see a penalty system being brought in for private vehicles, probably as an adjustment to the congestion zone taxation plus I believe older diesels will probably attract a higher penalty ( being more polluting in terms of Nox. So Euro 6 compliant motors will probably be exempt or cheapest.

Then I imagine that there will be tinkering with the company car taxation schemes to make diesel disadvantageous compared to current . As fleet sales of diesels reduce gradually, the ratio of petrol to diesel will change towards petrol/hybrid - this is happening already) Economics of private motoring will do the rest -- no doubt assisted by vehicle tax changes to discourage ownership. The economics of diesel ownership are already shifting adversely unless you are a very high mileage driver where fuel economy gains still outweigh increasingly more expensive exhaust /complication servicing and repairs. Euro 6 will shift the bias towards petrol even further due to the increased purchase cost and increased maintenance costs of these diesels-just around the corner. Personally, I shall hang onto my older 1.9 tdi non DPF until it's time to change as per any car but this is the last diesel I intend to own-unless I buy a van!