First Sign of Winter - skidpan

Just walked down the street with the dog. Beautiful morning, sun out, pleasant temperature.

One chap down the Street with a Suzuki SX4 is one of the habitual "let the car idle on the drive for 20 minutes before driving" types. This morning he was just getting it out of the garage as we walked passed and 30 minutes later its still sat there idling happilly away.

Totally unbelieveable. What a waste of fuel.

First Sign of Winter - veryoldbear

You should have hopped in and taken it for a quick spin round the block. Would he have noticed?

Edited by veryoldbear on 31/08/2014 at 10:50

First Sign of Winter - RobJP

I hope he sits in it when it's idling, or is closer than anyone else to it. Otherwise his insurance wouldn't be valid, in the event of it getting stolen. Even if he locks it (with the spare key, for example), all a thief has to do is break a window, and they're away with it.

I believe he's also committing an offence if a car is running, and nobody is in control of it. Though I can't recall which Act, or specific offence it is.

First Sign of Winter - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:....""I believe he's also committing an offence if a car is running, and nobody is in control of it. ""

Not if it's in his drive.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 31/08/2014 at 13:01

First Sign of Winter - RT

QUOTE:....""I believe he's also committing an offence if a car is running, and nobody is in control of it. ""

Not if it's in his drive.

It's been made illegal recently in some areas Scotland? but I'm not sure.

First Sign of Winter - skidpan

I hope he sits in it when it's idling, or is closer than anyone else to it. Otherwise his insurance wouldn't be valid, in the event of it getting stolen.

He's nowhere to be seen.

In truth the bloke is a bit of a muppet. Before they had the Suzuki they had a Peugeot 106 and it only just fitted in the garage. To get the Suzuki in they have to fold both mirrors and park at an angle so that he can just struggle to get out of the passenger door. The chap is in his 70's, perhaps he's hopeing someone will take it so he can get another car that actually fits in his tiny garage.

First Sign of Winter - groaver

Vehicle idling is an offence against Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions)(Fixed Penalty) (Scotland) Regulations 2003. The law states that it is an offence to idle your engine unnecessarily. It is a continuing offence, which means that if you fail to turn your engine off after being spoken to you may be issued with a £20 fixed penalty notice.

tinyurl.com/pv64gj5