Ford fiesta - Fully synthetic/semi oil for 1.4tdci 2004 fiesta? - tired-boy

I have a 2004 1.4 tdci fiesta. Its done 140K. I do 22K a year in it. I am a window cleaner so there's quite a bit of stop and start but also a bit of 60mph throughout the week. I have not been keeping up on my filter/oil changes (as i know i should - very naughty!). Its been getting a bit louder lately - turning the music up higher now. The manual says i should be using 5w30. 5w30/10w40 for top ups. Should i be going with fully synthetic or semi? Any thoughts. I was going to go with Castrol Magnatec

Ford fiesta - Fully synthetic/semi oil for 1.4tdci 2004 fiesta? - RobJP

Supposed to be fully synthetic.

BUT ... it's far more important to change the oil and filter every 6-10k miles. Also, when draining the old oil out, use the sump plug, not one of those silly pumps that haul the old oil out through the dipstick pipe

Ford fiesta - Fully synthetic/semi oil for 1.4tdci 2004 fiesta? - gordonbennet

Nothing kills engines quicker than neglected oil changes, as buyers of out of warranty Diesels of certain makes are discovering.

Putting pure Unobtainium oil at £100 a gallon in won't repair wear caused by neglect, i'd use decent quality proper Diesel specific engine oil, synthetic if possible, which is cheap as any when bought in minor bulk when a sale is on, and change it and the filter every 6k max for your sort of use.

Agree with RobJP about proper draining, a Fumoto Quick Drain Sump Valve will make life easier.

Ford fiesta - Fully synthetic/semi oil for 1.4tdci 2004 fiesta? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Since my 2006 Fiesta Tdci passed 100K miles and is now on 185K, I took the decision to use a fully synthetic 5w/40 with an A3/B3 or B4 spec., rather than the 'recommended' 5w/30. I have used Mobil 1 0w/40 through a particularly cold winter, on the idea that a '0w' rating would be better for starting on an icy morning, although Comma 'Syner-D' 5w/40 which I normally use in winter causes no problems - it always starts first turn. Last month, Euro Car Parts were offering a 5w/40 (5L) for less than fifteen quid, and you got a 'free' oil filter with it, so the Fiesta has that in it now, and at that low price, I'll give it an extra oil change in another month or so. Whether I'm right or wrong, the thing keeps going. It's had its problems over the years, but its always got me home.

For clean running, try the often-mentioned 200:1 shot of two-stroke oil in your diesel (that, in the Fiesta, is 150ml of two-stroke oil in the tank when filling up from the yellow pump light coming on). You won't get 2T cheaper than Morrisons - £2 for 500ml bottle or £4 a litre.