Hyundai i10 - Engine cutting out - hillman

A friend has a 13 reg Hyundai i10 with an engine that cuts out. When switched off and on again and it restarts and runs without problems for a couple of weeks and then plays up again. The owner has taken the car to the dealer who says that there is nothing wrong with the car and it must be down to the driver. The driver has been driving fore 30 years now and has never before had any problems.

Has anyone experienced anything like this ?

Hyundai i10 - Engine cutting out - Cyd

under what circumstances?

Hyundai i10 - Engine cutting out - Big John

Are you sure this isn't just stop/start- could be perfectly normal? A driver of 30 years may not have encountered this before.

Edited by Big John on 30/11/2013 at 23:22

Hyundai i10 - Engine cutting out - Doc

Are you sure this isn't just stop/start- could be perfectly normal?

I don't think the i10 comes with stop/start.

Hyundai i10 - Engine cutting out - skidpan

Tell him to try a different dealer, only the ones who don't have a clue blame the customer.

Hyundai i10 - Engine cutting out - RT

I don't think the i10 comes with stop/start.

The Hyundai i10 Blue gets Stop/Start

You guys will need to be patient with me - I learned to drive in a Ford Anglia.

Does Stop / Start imply that if the car is stopped at traffic lights etc. then the engine stops - and when you press the throttle it restarts ?

Clutch usually - but you may need to check the manual to see if the restart involves the throttle, handbrake, footbrake, gearlever or clutch.

Wikipedia gives this general comment :- "On a manual transmission vehicle, stop-start is activated as follows: Stop car & depress clutch - move gear lever to neutral - release clutch - then the engine stops. The engine won't stop if the car is moving, even if the aforementioned steps are followed. The engine restarts when the clutch is depressed prior to selecting a gear to move the car. The engine may also restart if there is a demand for power from, for example, the AC system."

Hyundai i10 - Engine cutting out - skidpan

Stop/start woks pretty much as RT's quote but its not only A/C demand can make it restart, if the systems sensors detect the battery is getting low for any reason it wil restart the engine, quite a surprise the first time it happens. On my BMW the system would not work when the air temp was below 4 degrees, 3 winters ago when it was really cold it never worked during December, January and February.

To the OP, my first 2 cars were Anglias, have had stop/start on my last 2 cars now. IMHO its a total waste of time, only saves a thimble full of fuel once a blue moon. The one good thing it does is bring down the RFL group, saves good money there.

Thanks BRs. I'll investigate further and see if the car has got Stop / Start. I would have thought that the dealer would know enough about cars and customers to have been able to explain that, Sadly, that is often not the case. Things used to be so simple, why mess it up by installing a feature that is obviously of marginal use !

Thanks BRs. I'll investigate further and see if the car has got Stop / Start. I would have thought that the dealer would know enough about cars and customers to have been able to explain that, Sadly, that is often not the case. Things used to be so simple, why mess it up by installing a feature that is obviously of marginal use !

Because Stop/Start gives much better figures in the official EU fuel/emissions tests - the fact that these tests are fast becoming totally unrelated to real world driving is immaterial to Europrats.