Mazda 3 185bhp 2.2 diesel - Fuel Consumption - desperadojim

I can get 60+ mpg on a 10 mile + journey but should I make a few stops on the way and the consumption goes way up (28mpg), like there's a tap opened somewhere. I'm aware of the affects of a cold engine, or start-stop traffic, but compensating for these factors the fuel consumption still seems extremely erratic. I always drive sedately (1000 rpm) but occasionally drive on higher revs to clear the dpf. The car has only done 18000 miles anyway. Recently I've noticed the car pulling even with my foot off the accelerator pedal.

Mazda 3 185bhp 2.2 diesel - Fuel Consumption - thunderbird

Don't believe what your fuel confuser says, they lie. The only way to check your fuel consumption is to carry out tank to tank fill ups (preferably using the same pump at one garage).

Driving at higher revs will not clear the DPF, its an urban myth. The DPF will regenerate when the ECU decides, the drive cannot in any way influence the process. All you are doing by driving at higher revs is wasting fuel and creating more particles.

1000 rpm is way too low an engine speed to drive at, the car will be vibrating itself to pieces. At 1000 rpm most cars will be doing only 30 mph at best even in 6th, the drivers following you must want to kill you, I know I would. The most economical engine speed is normally around peak torque which is about 1800 rpm for most modern diesels.

Most cars pull to the left, its the road camber. Try it on a deald flat pice of motorway, bet the cars runs strait.

Mazda 3 185bhp 2.2 diesel - Fuel Consumption - unthrottled

Recently I've noticed the car pulling even with my foot off the accelerator pedal.

That's the ECU trying to raise the revs. Thunderbird is right, 1000RPM is too low for cruising. Very hard on DMF and big end bearings.

Mazda 3 185bhp 2.2 diesel - Fuel Consumption - craig-pd130

What others have said above.

My experiences with my last three turbodiesels (VW, Ford and Volvo) is that journeys of less than 5 miles or stop-start traffic put your fuel consumption in the 30s. As soon as you get on open roads at average cruising speeds, you'll get into the 40s/50s.

To echo the point about DPFs, keeping the rpm around the peak torque range (usually 1,750 - 2,000rpm) is ideal to promote 'passive' regeneration.

Unthrottled poster has pointed out before that this is when exhaust gas temps are at their highest; higher rpms see the EGTs go down, and just create more soot.

Mazda 3 185bhp 2.2 diesel - Fuel Consumption - Cyd

1000rpm is way too low to be driving at. It's barely above idle and th eengine will be labouring. This is especially hard on big end bearings, which will probably just break up into bits eventually.

When I buy a car, I always ask the owner to drive it first so I can listen and look. I'm also looking at how they drive it. I wouldn't buy your car off you if you drove like that.

Engines are running at peak efficiency at the point of maximum torque. Try using a few more revs (but keep the throttle light) on your stop start sections. Bet the economy improves.