Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTI - problem with my engine - robb.g

the other day i went to start the car, it turned over but wouldn't start. i tried again & it wouldn't turn over at all. it sounded like my starter motor had gone (it had that clicking sound when the starter motor packs in), so i tried to bump start it & still nothing. so i got the starter motor checked & then had it changed. now it turns on the key but the engine isn't turning over, i looked in the oil filler cap & my cams are not turning (i thought my cambelt had snapped :( but it hasn't :s).

can any one help with any idea's to what could be wrong because i'm totally pugled!

Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTI - problem with my engine - galileo

If the starter motor turns but the engine does not, either the starter pinion isn't engaging with the flywheel ring gear or the ring gear has cracked and loosened and turns without moving the crankshaft.

The second idea is unlikely but possible.

thanks i'll have a look at that & could this cause any damage to my pistons & vaules? because if its gonna be a big job i'd rather scrap the car or sell it for spares

Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTI - problem with my engine - galileo

thanks i'll have a look at that & could this cause any damage to my pistons & vaules? because if its gonna be a big job i'd rather scrap the car or sell it for spares

Can't hurt pistons and valves, a competent independent should be able to check starter/pinion engagement. Most starters nowadays the current to turn the starter is switched on when the pinion engages and completes the circuit.

If the ring gear is loose it's gearbox out to fix and a bigger job than a new starter.

just been told that my cambelt has stripped its teeth & my crank is turning :(

Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTI - problem with my engine - Peter.N.

Likely to be scrap them I'm afraid

Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTI - problem with my engine - 1litregolfeater

I think they are so called 'interference' engines, meaning that the pistons will give the valves a bit of a bashing when the cambelt goes.

Not necessarily scrap though, how much are valves thes days for one of these? Not much I bet. In fact I bet you could straighten the valves with a bit of time, a small hammer and a positive attitude. They are made specially soft near to the head as they do need to deform in operation.

Knock 'em back into shape, grind 'em in, better than new.

New full timing kit less than £70.

These are good simple cars that can last, given some attention.