Ford Focus Tdci 2010 - 2010 Focus Tdci engine problem ,,,,,,,, - robert

HI,

I have a 2010 Focus 2.0 TDci (136ps) Titanium with 31k on the clock.

It's started hesitating/misfiring when doing between 35/40 in 4th gear. You can feel it through the drivetrain & the transmission does not like it at all. Also does it at other speeds in other gears.

The car has just run out of warranty and had it's 30k service by Ford about 6 weeks ago.

It was down to half a tank of fuel so - I've just brimmed it with fuel from another garage to see if it was maybe a dodgy batch of fuel - but didn't make any difference at all.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks - Rob

Ford Focus Tdci 2010 - 2010 Focus Tdci engine problem ,,,,,,,, - BenG

Possible injector blockage or contamination? Was diagnosed by Ford as causing jerky running of my old Focus 1.8TDCi. You could try running some injector cleaner through with the odd high-revs blast through the gears. I would have thought though that a blocked injector would affect running at all speeds and not just one particular speed/gear.

A dirty / sticky EGR valve is another possible cause of hesitant running. You could take a look inside and check how much soot/oil build-up there is and whether or not the valve opens and closes smoothly.

What is the engine speed at 35/40mph in 4th gear? Could it be the engine is labouring off-boost and perhaps the dual-mass flywheel does not like being asked to transmit torque at low revs. The drivetrain in my Seat Leon TDI vibrates and resonates when asked to pull from <2000rpm in high gears and the flywheel can vibrate quite badly. If the DMF is worn it could start juddering which could be mistake for engine symptoms.