Mazda CX-5 - Out of shape tyres - 1 year old used car - Colin Sinclair

I just bought a 1 year old CX-5 for £25K and picked it up 200 miles from where I live. On the drive home I noticed a mild vibration at motorway speeds and reported this to the dealer (Arnold Clark) when I got home.

After an inspection at my local (Arnold Clark) dealer they say the tyres are (all) out of shape and need replacing. Here is my question....the tyres on the car I bought are TOYO (a premium brand) but they are offering to replace them with a budget tyre (ROADX, a budget tyre from China).

Where do I stand - Mazda assure me this won't affect the 2 yers remaining on the warranty, but I'm feeling duped at having the prospect of having budget tyres fitted in place of premium ones that were fitted when I viewed/bought the car?

Mazda CX-5 - Out of shape tyres - 1 year old used car - galileo

I would not trust Arnold Clark to check tyres on a pram, let alone a CX-5. (other forum members may not share my view, of course).

Go to a reputable tyre fitter (Just Tyres, ATS for example) and see what their opinion of the 'out of shape' tyres is,

If they are definitely defective I would expect at least mid-range replacements from Clark, not Chinese ditch finders.

It does not help that you bought the car from 200 miles away, obviously a nearby dealer would be easier to talk to.

Mazda CX-5 - Out of shape tyres - 1 year old used car - skidpan

Manufacturers warranty does not cover tyres, the tyre manufacturer does.

Had a BMW fitted with Michelins. At 4 years old they were badly cracked on the sidewalls but it passed MOT at BMW garage with advisory. Spoke to Michelin (in Birmingham) who said the tyres were covered up to 6 years from the date code on the sidewall (the tyres were actually 4 1/2 years old). They advised that I go the ATS who would replace them at my expense and return them to Michelin for inspection. If they were faulty I would get an allowance for tread remaining. Asked if I could simply put the all season tyres/rims on the car I used in winter and get ATS to just remove the tyres and return them and then if they were faulty replace at my leisure, they said fine.

So after we returned form holiday (in our other car) I swapped the rims and off the ATS. They removed the tyres and sent them back (FOC) and after 2 weeks got a letter from Michelin telling me the tyres were faulty and a cheque for just over £190 was in the post. The following spring I got a set of mid range tyres fitted for about £230.

So speak to the tyre manufacturer.

Very helpful, I'd not considered that. Hopefully as a 'premium brand' they will guarantee them in this situation and so I've contacted Toyo.

OK thanks. AC have already admitted the tyres are definitely defective and so it is a case of how I get decent tyres. They do have a video showing why the tyres are out of shape which I hope to obtain. The car is a year old and done 13,000 miles so I will argue my case whilst also speaking with Toyo about the guarantee they offer and how this could work in this situation.

Mazda CX-5 - Out of shape tyres - 1 year old used car - FP

I know Mazda fit Toyos as original equipment, but on my CX-5 SportNav (skinny tyres on big wheels) I find them unyielding and uncomfortable. I have now got Pirellis and the improvement is amazing.

And are Toyos in fact "premium" tyres anyway?

Edited by FP on 12/04/2024 at 11:59

Mazda CX-5 - Out of shape tyres - 1 year old used car - expat

Ask for a cash payment instead of replacement. That way you can get the tyres of your choice. Never let the dealer change the tyres. They will fit cheap r******.

Mazda CX-5 - Out of shape tyres - 1 year old used car - edlithgow

Dont flat spots eventually rolll out? Such has been my limited experience