Operation of Electronic Handbrake Question - Chris M

My walk to the local library this afternoon took me past the Primary school. About 3/4 of an hour before kicking out time so plenty of cars parked up, engines running, parent/grandparent on smartphone. Moan over.

One car was a 19reg Mercedes A Class. Engine running, DLRs on, reversing lights on, image on reversing camera. Thought maybe only just parked up - although mum was on phone. 10 minutes later on my way back, the car was still there as previously described. I can't imagine the mum was sitting riding the clutch (road has slight incline) all that time. So what was going on? I've never had an EPB or an automated manual (if it was one).

Operation of Electronic Handbrake Question - elekie&a/c doctor
I guess it must have been sitting in reverse as an auto or electric/ manual . Not necessarily with the engine running,but handbrake on .

Engine was definitely running.

Operation of Electronic Handbrake Question - gordonbennet

Doesn't seem any different to someone with a manual parking brake sitting there with the car ticking over and possibly forgotten to take it the autobox out of reverse, makes no difference what sort of auto box its bad practice and will lead to premature wear and problems down the line...probably for the subsequent owner after warranty has expired.

EPB's usually have a switch on the dash, most cars as you would a normal parking brake pull for on push for off (Avensis is different for some reason only the Lord above knows, push on pull off, what could possibly go wrong), but in most if not all cases the brake applies automatically when you switch the engine off, and will release itself as you take up drive.

Maybe our Merc driver intent on the phone call had applied the parking brake manually, or maybe was sitting there with foot still on brake but still in reverse in which case unless they applied it manually wouldn't apply itself until the engine was stopped...although maybe a hill hold device was holding the car steady, which is yet another box of tricks that only people who can't control their vehicles need but are finding their way into everything.

How awful sitting there with engines running, when they are forced into their scalextric car they can don full winter survival kit and freeze like every good climate warrior.:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/02/2020 at 21:15

If the brake lights were not illuminated, then it was being held on the parking brake (whatever type) . Presumably the stop/ start had been turned off.

No brake lights on. I imagine the S/S hadn't activated as the engine was cold.

Am I correct in thinking that an automated manual approaching say traffic lights will apply the EPB once the car comes to a stop. Lights change to green, driver accelerates and the EPB disengages? If true, could the driver have reversed into space, braked, EPB applied and the car is now waiting for the driver to apply some gas? Seems a little dangerous to me.

I'm assuming TC automatics still creep - useful in slow moving traffic.

Edited by Chris M on 14/02/2020 at 22:35

Don't think an Epb will engage automatically up to a stop ,but will disengage on drive away. assuming it has been applied.

Operation of Electronic Handbrake Question - dan86
If the brake lights were not illuminated, then it was being held on the parking brake (whatever type) . Presumably the stop/ start had been turned off.

Stop start won't engage in reverse the driver probably put on the epb and left it in reverse without realising as she had an important WhatsApp to read from the class group

Operation of Electronic Handbrake Question - Heidfirst

EPB's usually have a switch on the dash, most cars as you would a normal parking brake pull for on push for off (Avensis is different for some reason only the Lord above knows, push on pull off, what could possibly go wrong),

Nothing, it makes sense given where the switch is. The other option would be push to release which imo would be the more likely to cause an issue with an inadvertent brush of the button.

It's not really an issue anyway as you get used to it & it becomes 2nd nature.

Operation of Electronic Handbrake Question - Avant

EPB engagement / disengagement depend on the car. The Volvo V60 that I had, and the BMW 225 that I tried yesterday, had EPBs that disengaged automatically but had to be applied manually. A pain, especially on the Volvo where some tortured Swedish genius had elected to site the switch down by the driver's right knee.

All the VW Group EPBs that I've come across have an 'A' switch next to the EPB switch on the centre console, which ensures not only automatic on and off but also hill hold. It can be turned off if needed but defaults to on. It's converted me to acceptance of EPBs and also even SWMBO who got used to it much more readily than I thought she would.

And her A3 convertible is a manual. I expected problems with this combined with an EPB but there aren't any.

Edited by Avant on 14/02/2020 at 23:36

Operation of Electronic Handbrake Question - misar

I can only comment on my current Mazda 3 which is my first car with an EPB. It also has Autohold (operated with an 'A' switch next to the EPB switch) which is a separate function although obviously both use the same brake mechanism.

The EPB is engaged manually except when parking where it comes on automatically when the ignition is turned off. It releases automatically when the car moves forward (not in reverse) or can be released manually. Autohold defaults to off each time the car is started but stays active after pressing the 'A' switch. It will be applied if the car comes to a complete halt with the footbrake pressed. It releases automatically when the car moves off.

In theory you should not need to apply the EPB during driving but it differs from Autohold in that it does not turn on the stop lights whereas Autohold keeps them on constantly. Hence, more or less from habit I tend to apply the EPB when stopped at lights etc for an extended period. It is then released automatically, same as Autohold.