VW Golf 1.6 FSE - Small claims-consuer rights act 2015 advice - MC1982

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. We bought a 2004 VW Golf (105,000 miles) in late December last year (2018). Within a week or so the engine warning light came on. We took it to Halfords, where it went off by itself. It continued to come on over the next few months, and each time we'd take it to the garage and they'd try various things. We had a warranty through the dealer, so we assumed it would get sorted and weren't to worried, but sometimes they'd fix something, and sometimes the diagnostic revealed too many competing issues so the warranty wouldn't cover it, because they couldn't identify the specific problem.

By the time the warranty expired we were no closer, just had a health check from a VW garafe that diagnosed a range of issues and a repair bill of £2700 (we bought the car for £1600). We'd always assumed, being first time buyers, that we had no right of return, but then we learned about the consumer rights act. At the beginning of May I contacted the dealer, explained the problems and asked them to repair or refund. They refused, because we'd taken it to other garages without their approval. My response was more or less as follows:

-They were the ones who suggested Halfords when we bought the car because it had a relationship with the warranty provider, so as we are in a different town we took it there.

-The dealer told us we could take it back to them if it needed repairs, but not that we had to, and not that they'd do it for free.

-In their response they said they would have repaired it for free, but now they wouldn't because we'd taken it to another garage without their consent. I haven't seen or heard this rule anywhere, other than a general recommendation to contact the seller as soon as you notice a problem (we didn't because we had the warranty initially, and also because we didn't know our rights at first).

We have now sent them a letter of notice of legal action, and they refused again. For some reason they said we only informed them after six months had passed, but this is demonstrably not true with the paperwork and email records we have.

I guess my main questions are:

-We have two diagnostic readouts (the AA when we broke down once, and Halfords), plus a health check from a VW garage, dating from a couple of weeks after purchase to about 3 1/2 months after. I assume that is what would be defined as problems arising within the first six months being assumed to be present at purchase, so we have a right to repair? The dealer has not presented any counter evidence to say the car was fine when we bought it.

-It's true we didn't contact the dealer straight away, for the reasons explained above. Does this affect our case? I don;t think the consumer rights act is actually void in this case? We aren't asking them to reimburse the repairs we've already had done, just for them to exercise our right to repair for the problems that are still present, and have been more or less since we bought the car.

-I know the main issues are fit for purpose, as described and satisfactory quality. The dealers said is reasonable to expect problems within six months with a car of this age and mieage, but I can't see that mentioned in descriptions of the consumer rights act.

-The car is driveable, but one of the issues is with the cooling fan, and we were told to get that sorted before the summer. Am I correct that a car, even of this age, mileage and purchase price, that should not be driven in hot weather, requires a repair bill of £2700, and will fail its MOT because of the warning light (and presumably some of the many other issues) is not of satisfactory quality?

-We want to get a new car, but I imagine we need to keep hold of this one in the meantime until everything is resolved?

-More generally, what are our chances?

Apologies for the long post, and thanks for any advice you can offer.

VW Golf 1.6 FSE - Small claims-consuer rights act 2015 advice - galileo

While sympathising with your problem, this is an old, high mileage car which you bought for £1600.

At that price you would be very lucky to get a car which had no issues at all, the Consumer Protection legislation does take into account realistic expectations given age and purchase price, so a Small Claim may not be very successful,

Had you taken it back directly to the seller, your case would be stronger and you might have had a better response. Any warranty on £1600 car is unlikely to cover very much.

Edited by galileo on 24/06/2019 at 16:45

VW Golf 1.6 FSE - Small claims-consuer rights act 2015 advice - Palcouk
If you wish to buy a new car then px this car against the new for whatever you can get. You dont have to tell the dealer you are buying from what problems the car has, since he will look at it a perhaps test drive. Just dont lie if asked.
As it is dealers are desperate to sell so you may well get a good deal
VW Golf 1.6 FSE - Small claims-consuer rights act 2015 advice - Bromptonaut

I'd suggest the OP consults a proper consumer advice service such as Which or Citizens Advice*.

*Declaration of interest. I work for one the Citizens Advice charities (CA is a federation) but have no financial interest in consumer advice.

VW Golf 1.6 FSE - Small claims-consuer rights act 2015 advice - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd be interested to see this £2700 repair bill, and how much of it is labour (probably at around £100 per hour), and how much are inflated parts prices.

Its an old car, I'd be inclined to sign up to a Golf forum - list the problems and let the owners with proper experience who don't have a vested interest in ripping you off give you an honest appraisal.

On a 206 group I frequent someone recently posted a £600+ bill from Halfords for work that needed doing.

We priced up all the parts from Euro Car Parts for £80, and factored in a very generous £150 labour from a third party mechanic.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 01/07/2019 at 13:44

VW Golf 1.6 FSE - Small claims-consuer rights act 2015 advice - focussed

I'd suggest the OP consults a proper consumer advice service such as Which or Citizens Advice*.

*Declaration of interest. I work for one the Citizens Advice charities (CA is a federation) but have no financial interest in consumer advice.

Nice example of @rse covering there Bromptonaut!

VW Golf 1.6 FSE - Small claims-consuer rights act 2015 advice - pd

The car appears basically usable and is an old car with a typical old car type electrical fan issue.

Basically, it is probably to the standard or beyond that a "reasonable" person would expect and has lasted for some time already so I can't see you have any recourse under legislation.

The legislation says a 2004 £1600 Golf only has to be to the typical standard of a 2004 £1600 Golf, not perfect or like new.