Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - davebhoy
Hi

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to terminology.

I was trying to put the roof bars on my Toyota Avensis Estate this afternoon but look when I tightened the nut that attaches the bars to the car the the nut ruined the thread on the hole. The nut just sits in the hole now and isn't screwed in at all, I can lift it out.

I think I need a new nut which isn't a problem as Thule do replacement parts, but the hole that I would screw the nut into isn't secure at all.

Is it possible to get a spare part for the plate (if thats the right word) that the nuts screws into?

Dos anyone know what that plate is called, or where I might find one?

Thanks very much for any help
Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - galileo

Threaded things that go into holes are screws or bolts. Nuts are things that fasten onto threaded things like bolts, screws or studs.

If you have stripped the thread in the hole you need someone who has the equipment to repair the hole by fitting a thread repair insert such as a Helicoil (or cutting a bigger thread and using a bigger bolt ).

If you find a small independent garage they may be able to help, main dealers will probably suggest a fix that will lighten your wallet substantially, but may be worth asking for a start.

Thanks

The bolt has a thread at the the other end as well that a nut screws onto, so I don’t think cutting a bigger hole would solve the problem

I’ll try the other options
Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - elekie&a/c doctor
Little confused here . Is the damaged thread part of the car or the roof bar system?
Thanks

The damaged thread is part of the car. But one of the 4 bolts that attach the bars to the car needs to be replaced as well as it caused the damage to the thread on the hole on the car and it’ll do it to a new hole.

Thule do a replacement fitting kit that includes replacement bolts but as the thread on one of the holes on the car where they fit into is damaged it doesn’t screw in now, it’s just loose. So a new hole is needed
Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - galileo
Thanks The bolt has a thread at the the other end as well that a nut screws onto, so I don’t think cutting a bigger hole would solve the problem I’ll try the other options

A "bolt" with a thread at both ends is a stud. Nothing special, a competent mechanic or engineer would be familiar with these and could advise the best fix and carry it out at a reasonable cost.

Thanks
Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - elekie&a/c doctor
I suspect these are captive nuts that are mounted into the support bars for the roof mounts . One option would be to lower the interior roof lining panel and use new bolts with washers and nuts.
Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Nuts have "female" threads, whilst bolts, set screws and studs have "male" threads. I know no other way to describe them in a non-sexist fashion. A "helicoil" repair is, indeed, the obvious answer.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 04/05/2019 at 16:01

Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - wrangler_rover
On my Avensis tourer, 2009, I had a problem with the threaded hole in the car roof rail being tight when I tried to screw the threaded nut for the roof bar into it. I ran a M8 tap into the hole to clean up the thread and it worked a treat. The threaded hole in the car roof corroded with age and the threads just needed cleaning up with a tap.
Thanks, I think thats exactly my problem
Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - edlithgow

If you get the hole re-tapped or otherwise fixed, perhaps it would be worth considering protecting this and your other threads from further damage.

Oil or grease (preferably grease) will help, and anti seize (preferably aluminium based) will provide further protection.

Since I can't get anti seize here in Taiwan, for this sort of thing (for example on wheel studs) I usually use grease with polythene sheet over the thread before screwing it home.

PTFE thread tape is a cheap and available alternative more suitable for fine threads.

Protects threads from damage and ensures you can take things apart when you want to.

If your bolt or stud threads are corroded, if you don't have a die to run down them (which I'd guess is the pro solution, or replacement) you can clean them up fairly well by sticking them in the opening of a beer can and rotating them while pressing the thread root against the sharp edges.

Removes corrosion and maybe also deposits some protective aluminium in the thread root.

I did once make a multi-can-lid stack to speed this up but lost it and never got around to making another.

If you dont have grease, and dont feel its worth buying some, vaseline would do at a pinch. Maybe even margarine, though I havn't tried that and it'd probably go rancid. In any case. maybe give the threads a rub with aluminium foil too.

Re improvised lubricants, don't use vegetable oil on threads since it sets to a strong adhesive and you'll have trouble undoing it.

(I mean scaffolding-pole-lever-on-wheel-nuts style trouble. Not doing that again.)

Edited by edlithgow on 03/05/2022 at 01:48

Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - DCMAN

Thanks mate. I just did this and it worked! You just saved my summer

Toyotal Avensis Tourer 2011 - Thread gone on hole for roof bars nuts - edlithgow

Thanks mate. I just did this and it worked! You just saved my summer

He means Wrangler-Rover, not me